XP SP2 not retaining WEP versus WPA settings

We have multiple Dell Latitudes as well as Toshiba Tablets with SP2 all
experiencing the same problem.

We are trying to connect to 3com accesspoints that have a simple 64bit
shared wep key (just to keep out the people looking for a quick and easy
connection). When we allow XP to manage the connections XP will either drop
all the settings or when you go to view available wireless networks, it shows
the network we are trying to connect to as being a WPA network with (WPA) in
parentheses and will not connect. Sometimes after deleting and reinstalling
the settings a dozen times or so it will work. Once it works the setting
sticks.

If we use the Intel Wiress Config software, it works fine.

We have flashed the access points to the most recent bios and have the most
recent drivers on the laptops.

If your Dell clients have an Intel 2100 adapter, load driver version
1.2.0.56 or later before proceeding.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821442
http://support.intel.com/support/notebook/sb/CS-006131.htm

While the articles above are specific to the WPA update to Windows XP SP1,
WPA support was included in XP SP2. The early driver versions of the Intel
2100 had a few problems that were addressed in the later revisions. If the
driver update does not resolve your issue though, please read on!

The Windows Zero Configuration service automatically detects the
configurations of wireless networks. If the 'available networks' list for
the Windows wireless client is displaying the network as WPA, then the
access points are beaconing WPA support. The access point may be configured
in what we call a mixed-mode. Mixed-mode simply means that clients can
connect using the WPA or WEP authentication types simultaneously. Our
client will automatically detect the settings, and it will choose to use the
strongest supported security offered by the access point. If the access
point advertises WPA support, then automatic detection will use it! Our
client will detect WPA support even if your adapter does not support
advanced security types.

Based upon the information in your post, I have a theory for what you are
experiencing. Can you attempt the following proceedure and reply back with
the results?

Start with an empty preferred networks list
- Open the property sheet for your adapter: START > Network Connections >
Wireless Network Connection (or the wireless adapter's current name).
- Select the Wireless Networks tab at the top of the property sheet.
- Use the Remove button to delete all of the entries in the list.
- Click the add button
- In the new property sheet select the association tab.
- Manually input the SSID, select OPEN for the network authentication type,
select WEP for the data encryption type, and input the WEP key.
- Select the authentication tab.
- Uncheck the box for "Enable IEEE 802.1x..."
- Click OK to save the settings for this newly created network.
- Click OK on the remaining property sheet to save the preferred network
settings.
- The adapter should associate to the access point within the next sixty
seconds.

The Intel ProSet uses manually configured profiles and this is why the
configuration doesn't change based upon the configuration of the access
points.
--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless

"BenCrazy" <BenCrazy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have multiple Dell Latitudes as well as Toshiba Tablets with SP2 all
> experiencing the same problem.
>
> We are trying to connect to 3com accesspoints that have a simple 64bit
> shared wep key (just to keep out the people looking for a quick and easy
> connection). When we allow XP to manage the connections XP will either
> drop
> all the settings or when you go to view available wireless networks, it
> shows
> the network we are trying to connect to as being a WPA network with (WPA)
> in
> parentheses and will not connect. Sometimes after deleting and
> reinstalling
> the settings a dozen times or so it will work. Once it works the setting
> sticks.
>
> If we use the Intel Wiress Config software, it works fine.
>
> We have flashed the access points to the most recent bios and have the
> most
> recent drivers on the laptops.

Thanks Jerry. I'm out of the office Thursday and Friday returning on Monday.
I will try all the different things you mentioned as soon as I return.

ben