H.264 problem

deegon

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
not to sure where to place this but here it goes

I have been trying to add to my collection of movies on my server but my new win7 64bit computer doesn't seem to have the h.264 codec that i need
I use fairuse wizard and handbrake, fuw most of the time.
encodeing works with XviD but not with .264

some clariety would be much appreciated :)

Windows 7 comes with a .264 decoder. What container are you working with? If it's MKV, you need a splitter for Windows 7 to be able to play the file. Haali is the most common splitter.

Haali is included in the sharks007 codec pack, so if you install sharks007 as Vadim suggested the files should play.

deegon

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
sorry about the wate on the reply

i have loaded FUW up with a project
that is - .264 the codec i normally use
.AVI the container i have used meny times befor
.AC3 audio
i use the highest level of quality slow but good

all the setings have worked thousands of times befor but on the new computer it brings up a message

the DVD could not be converted. >>> VCM error

i have had a look around the net and it says it could be a missing or broken codec but i see that i have K-Lite codec pack in the (x86) programs files witch is where FUW is placed

from what i see on the net it seems to happen on win7 64bit computers rendering with XviD seems to work?

not sure what is goen on?

I guess we misunderstood your problem. You can play your AVI files, but your new computer cannot make new AVI files. Correct?

Maybe you are having a decryption problem. Handbrake removed decryption functionality a few versions ago because of legal issues.

According to this FUW how-to:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12466/convert-a-dvd-movie-directly-to-avi-with-fairuse-wizard-2.9/

FUW cannot decrypt newer DVDs.

We can't discuss how to circumvent copy protection on this forum, but I can say that this might be the cause of your problem. Though this would not explain why XviD works but h264 doesn't. It just something to check off the trouble shooting list.

deegon

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
thanks every one for the help :D
it seems to be a comen problem so i'll keep looken for the ancer.
all the dvds that are arcived I own, it stops some of the rear ones from geten damaged

jasonh000

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
"the dvd could not be converted. unable to open codec"

old post i know, but this one helped me.

installing the shark codec packs worked when installing other packs and the h264 codecs did not.