MSI Motherboard Woes...

a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2005 1:41:52 PM

Hello all,

I just built a new PC based on MSI's new "RS480M2-IL" motherboard (with
integrated ATI Graphics). Since I've built the thing, I've been plagued
with System hangs and the infamous BSOD (Spontaneous reboots, followed
by "Windows has recovered from a serious Error" dialog.)

In the process of working on this, I've replaced:
- the Power supply since the one in the case was wimpy @ best (300W
in, 235 out). (Inwin micro-atx case.)
- The memory since the Kingston HyperX memory wasn't in the certified
memory list for this mobo (and their Kingston ValueRAM was).
- Took the motherboard drivers to MSI's latest set, and then went even
newer by upgrading using ATI's driver set.
- Upgraded the BIOS using one directly suppled by MSI's support group.

Only the last item has changed the symptoms. Instead of saying "Error
detected in device driver" it now says "Error detected in ATI Graphics
Driver."

One interesting note is that the most common place for the problem to
occur is when the initial "welcome" screen is up and running.

System Configuration:
- Windows XP SP2
- Latest ATI CATALYST drivers (5.3) from ATI web site.
- AMD Athalon 64 3000+
- 1GB Kingston ValueRam in a Dual Channel Configuration -- bought as
matched set for this very purpose.
- Samsung SATA drive
- Lite-ON DVD Burner
- IoMega Zip/100 ATA drive (I have a fair collection of old Zip disks.)

Any troubleshooting tips would be helpful at this point.

More about : msi motherboard woes

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2005 8:08:42 PM

Brian Cowan <brcowan_at_yahoo_dot_com@nowhere.net> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I just built a new PC based on MSI's new "RS480M2-IL" motherboard (with
>integrated ATI Graphics). Since I've built the thing, I've been plagued
>with System hangs and the infamous BSOD (Spontaneous reboots, followed
>by "Windows has recovered from a serious Error" dialog.)

There are tnes of thousands (at least) of different BSOD messages, and
the vast majority of these have different causes and therefore
different cures.

Can you provide the details of your BSOD message(s)? Try using
Control Panel - System - Advanced and clicking on the Settings button
in the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. In the Startup and
Recovery window click on the checkbox for "automatically restart" to
clear it.

If you cannot get Windows to start up at all then try booting into
Safe Mode. To do this turn on the computer and start tapping the F8
key rapidly just as soon as the first information of any kind shows on
the screen. Keep tapping until the Windows Startup Menu appears and
choose Safe Mode from the menu.

Also look on the Startup Menu for an item to "Turn off the automatic
restart on system failure". If that is there then use it to make the
change.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2005 1:18:35 AM

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:22:04 -0400, Brian Cowan
<brcowan_at_yahoo_dot_com@nowhere.net> wrote:

>I'm attaching the most recent crash...
>
>Ron Martell wrote:
>> Brian Cowan <brcowan_at_yahoo_dot_com@nowhere.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Hello all,
>>>
>>>I just built a new PC based on MSI's new "RS480M2-IL" motherboard (with
>>>integrated ATI Graphics). Since I've built the thing, I've been plagued
>>>with System hangs and the infamous BSOD (Spontaneous reboots, followed
>>>by "Windows has recovered from a serious Error" dialog.)
>>

>> There are tnes of thousands (at least) of different BSOD messages, and
>> the vast majority of these have different causes and therefore
>> different cures.
>>
>> Can you provide the details of your BSOD message(s)? Try using
>> Control Panel - System - Advanced and clicking on the Settings button
>> in the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. In the Startup and
>> Recovery window click on the checkbox for "automatically restart" to
>> clear it.
>>
>> If you cannot get Windows to start up at all then try booting into
>> Safe Mode. To do this turn on the computer and start tapping the F8
>> key rapidly just as soon as the first information of any kind shows on
>> the screen. Keep tapping until the Windows Startup Menu appears and
>> choose Safe Mode from the menu.
>>
>> Also look on the Startup Menu for an item to "Turn off the automatic
>> restart on system failure". If that is there then use it to make the
>> change.
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

STOP!!! HALT!!!

Don't post binaries in this text newsgroup. There is no way any sane
person, who didn't personally know you, would open up your ZIP file.
Further, you shouldn't post binaries into a TEXT newsgroup, period.
It's bad netiquette.
Related resources
April 6, 2005 5:33:17 PM

The information that is most useful from a BSOD is the messages at the top
of the screen specifically the STOP message. If you see any mention of any
device drivers on screen, then inform us of those too - the topmost ones are
likely to be the most relevant - device drivers are .sys files.

You can see previous stop codes in the Event Viewer under System.

- Tim

"Brian Cowan" <brcowan_at_yahoo_dot_com@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> I'm attaching the most recent crash...
>
> Ron Martell wrote:
>> Brian Cowan <brcowan_at_yahoo_dot_com@nowhere.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Hello all,
>>>
>>>I just built a new PC based on MSI's new "RS480M2-IL" motherboard (with
>>>integrated ATI Graphics). Since I've built the thing, I've been plagued
>>>with System hangs and the infamous BSOD (Spontaneous reboots, followed
>>>by "Windows has recovered from a serious Error" dialog.)
>>

>> There are tnes of thousands (at least) of different BSOD messages, and
>> the vast majority of these have different causes and therefore
>> different cures.
>>
>> Can you provide the details of your BSOD message(s)? Try using
>> Control Panel - System - Advanced and clicking on the Settings button
>> in the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. In the Startup and
>> Recovery window click on the checkbox for "automatically restart" to
>> clear it.
>>
>> If you cannot get Windows to start up at all then try booting into
>> Safe Mode. To do this turn on the computer and start tapping the F8
>> key rapidly just as soon as the first information of any kind shows on
>> the screen. Keep tapping until the Windows Startup Menu appears and
>> choose Safe Mode from the menu.
>>
>> Also look on the Startup Menu for an item to "Turn off the automatic
>> restart on system failure". If that is there then use it to make the
>> change.
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 7, 2005 9:41:30 AM

Brian Cowan <brcowan_at_yahoo_dot_com@nowhere.net> wrote:

>I'm attaching the most recent crash...

YECHHH!!!!!

Please just provide the information from the Blue Screen, such as the
STOP Code and the 4 parameters that follow it.

That is all we need at this stage.

!