wireless card does not pick up signal

HI,
For some reason, my laptop, which came with a broadcom wireless card
installed, cannot pick up a fairly strong signal at my work (a local coffee
shop). This is the only wireless network I have tried (wired at home), and I
have never used wireless before. The coffee shop's network is fine; my friend
and a few others have used it with excellent connectivity. What could be my
problem? The card is enabled in device manager, but it doesn't pick any
signal up. Thanks.
5
answers
Last reply
More about wireless card pick signal

    Jon wrote:

    > HI,
    > For some reason, my laptop, which came with a broadcom wireless card
    > installed, cannot pick up a fairly strong signal at my work (a local
    > coffee shop). This is the only wireless network I have tried (wired at
    > home), and I have never used wireless before. The coffee shop's
    > network is fine; my friend and a few others have used it with
    > excellent connectivity. What could be my problem? The card is enabled
    > in device manager, but it doesn't pick any signal up. Thanks.

    Do you get absolutely no response or is there an error message? If the
    former, then forgive me for asking but is your wireless turned on? Many
    newer laptops have a button or switch that must be turned on to enable
    the wireless.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:23:04 -0800, Jon wrote:

    > HI,
    > For some reason, my laptop, which came with a broadcom wireless card
    > installed, cannot pick up a fairly strong signal at my work (a local coffee
    > shop). This is the only wireless network I have tried (wired at home), and I
    > have never used wireless before. The coffee shop's network is fine; my friend
    > and a few others have used it with excellent connectivity. What could be my
    > problem? The card is enabled in device manager, but it doesn't pick any
    > signal up. Thanks.

    My laptop (Toshiba) has a built in wireless card AND a manual switch to
    turn on the wireless.

    OK, well I am not sure if I have a switch or not, I have a an emachines
    m5310. No, I don't get an error message.

    "BobC" wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:23:04 -0800, Jon wrote:
    >
    > > HI,
    > > For some reason, my laptop, which came with a broadcom wireless card
    > > installed, cannot pick up a fairly strong signal at my work (a local coffee
    > > shop). This is the only wireless network I have tried (wired at home), and I
    > > have never used wireless before. The coffee shop's network is fine; my friend
    > > and a few others have used it with excellent connectivity. What could be my
    > > problem? The card is enabled in device manager, but it doesn't pick any
    > > signal up. Thanks.
    >
    > My laptop (Toshiba) has a built in wireless card AND a manual switch to
    > turn on the wireless.

    I don't know if I have a switch or not. I have an emachines m5310. No, I did
    not recieve an error message.

    Jon wrote:

    > I don't know if I have a switch or not. I have an emachines m5310. No,
    > I did not recieve an error message.
    >
    > "BobC" wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:23:04 -0800, Jon wrote:
    >>
    >> > HI,
    >> > For some reason, my laptop, which came with a broadcom wireless
    >> > card installed, cannot pick up a fairly strong signal at my work (a
    >> > local coffee shop). This is the only wireless network I have tried
    >> > (wired at home), and I have never used wireless before. The coffee
    >> > shop's network is fine; my friend and a few others have used it
    >> > with excellent connectivity. What could be my problem? The card is
    >> > enabled in device manager, but it doesn't pick any signal up.
    >> > Thanks.
    >>
    >> My laptop (Toshiba) has a built in wireless card AND a manual switch
    >> to turn on the wireless.

    Look in your laptop's manual and/or examine your laptop carefully to see
    if you have a switch or a button. You might even have to use one of the
    FN keys. The laptop came with a manual or check with eMachines tech
    support regarding your laptop's configuration.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    www.elephantboycomputers.com