cheap wifi portable solution

July 18, 2004 4:12:23 PM

hi, im a student on a real tight budget looking for a portable wifi
solution such as a pda, im just wondering can anyone tell me of the
cheapest option available. i have been looking at cheap pdas on ebay
but they dont seem to have cf slot for a wifi adaptor. im just
wondering also how have other people got on looking for cheap wifi
solutions. i was hoping to use my p133 laptop but all wifi pcmcia
adaptors seem to require 32bit cardbus and mine is 16bit.

thanks for any advice

kaine
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 5:58:55 PM

"kaine" <kainekainekaine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi, im a student on a real tight budget looking for a portable wifi
> solution such as a pda, im just wondering can anyone tell me of the
> cheapest option available. i have been looking at cheap pdas on ebay
> but they dont seem to have cf slot for a wifi adaptor. im just
> wondering also how have other people got on looking for cheap wifi
> solutions. i was hoping to use my p133 laptop but all wifi pcmcia
> adaptors seem to require 32bit cardbus and mine is 16bit.
>
> thanks for any advice
>
> kaine

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?produc...

wi-fi built in, no card hassles.

Have two of these, after initial learning curve,
they work well. As with all PPC's some folks have
had bad experiences, but don't let that put
you off.
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 11:13:15 PM

While it may be outside your budget, I don't think you can get a much better
value right now than the Dell AX-30 (Hi). With the 15% off you are looking
at a 624Mhz PPC with WiFi, BT, SDIO, WM2003SE, 64M RAM, 30M user accessible
ROM, Cradle...shipped for under $300.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:o duBIoQbEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> "kaine" <kainekainekaine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > hi, im a student on a real tight budget looking for a portable wifi
> > solution such as a pda, im just wondering can anyone tell me of the
> > cheapest option available. i have been looking at cheap pdas on ebay
> > but they dont seem to have cf slot for a wifi adaptor. im just
> > wondering also how have other people got on looking for cheap wifi
> > solutions. i was hoping to use my p133 laptop but all wifi pcmcia
> > adaptors seem to require 32bit cardbus and mine is 16bit.
> >
> > thanks for any advice
> >
> > kaine

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?produc...

> wi-fi built in, no card hassles.
>
> Have two of these, after initial learning curve,
> they work well. As with all PPC's some folks have
> had bad experiences, but don't let that put
> you off.

July 18, 2004 11:24:42 PM

$237 for the 312Mhz version (no cradle), but still a heck of a buy. ( I have
one of these)

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o ff$T2SbEHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> While it may be outside your budget, I don't think you can get a much
better
> value right now than the Dell AX-30 (Hi). With the 15% off you are looking
> at a 624Mhz PPC with WiFi, BT, SDIO, WM2003SE, 64M RAM, 30M user
accessible
> ROM, Cradle...shipped for under $300.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> news:o duBIoQbEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >
> > "kaine" <kainekainekaine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > hi, im a student on a real tight budget looking for a portable wifi
> > > solution such as a pda, im just wondering can anyone tell me of the
> > > cheapest option available. i have been looking at cheap pdas on ebay
> > > but they dont seem to have cf slot for a wifi adaptor. im just
> > > wondering also how have other people got on looking for cheap wifi
> > > solutions. i was hoping to use my p133 laptop but all wifi pcmcia
> > > adaptors seem to require 32bit cardbus and mine is 16bit.
> > >
> > > thanks for any advice
> > >
> > > kaine

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?produc...

> > wi-fi built in, no card hassles.
> >
> > Have two of these, after initial learning curve,
> > they work well. As with all PPC's some folks have
> > had bad experiences, but don't let that put
> > you off.

Anonymous
July 19, 2004 1:43:49 PM

I don't know about any battery problems. I've got an X3i which came
with a standard and free 2x (I think 1440mAh) battery. The lifetime on
standby is about 5-7 days, and you'll find that stuff like wifi,
bluetooth to a lesser degree and peripherals like cameras will eat
into that.

Probably running wifi you'd get 2-3h, though its unlikely you'll be
browsing and emailing for that long continuously, so it should last
all day.

I ran a Veo camera (1.3 megapixel) yesterday for about 60 photos and
15 minutes of video, while operating at the high processor speed
(400mhz) to ensure the video wasn't jerky. Then I copied across about
15 meg of images and video to the SD card. Then I previewed some of
this, and browsed for a further hour - this took the battery down from
100% to 20%. I ran like this with the screen brightness at about 25%
of the slider setting which is iffy only in the brightest sunlight.

It's always worth getting a second battery for any PDA, the Dells are
no exception. FYI charge time from 15->100% is about 45 min for me
using a standard battery ... the Dell X3/X30 comes with a cradle that
has a 2nd slot so you can charge the main unit and a second battery at
the same time (or just leave on on there ready to go as you can't
overcharge Li-Ion batteries)

HTH
Neil

!