Belkin wireless card causes XP to freeze

Tags:
  • Wireless
  • Connection
  • Belkin
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
March 30, 2005 8:57:12 PM

Hi,

I have a DSL modem which I used to connect to dircetly and it worked
fine. I have moved my computer to another room and I now have the DSL
modem connected to a Belkin wireless access point and I have installed
a Belkin wireless network card into my PC.
The network card can find the network OK. When I connect to the
internet it works perfectly at first, but after 30secs - 5 minutes,
the computer will freeze and I have to do a hard reboot. It does this
every time I connect to the internet.
Does anyone know what may be causing this problem and how to fix it?
I have removed my other network card but it had no effect, I have also
uninstalled the wireless network card and reinstalled it, I have
uninstalled ICQ and any other programs that use the internet.
I have used the same access point with my laptop with a belkin
wireless card in in and that has always worked fine.
I have win XP pro SP2.

thanks in advance

Ian

More about : belkin wireless card freeze

March 30, 2005 9:17:23 PM

Ian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a DSL modem which I used to connect to dircetly and it worked
> fine. I have moved my computer to another room and I now have the DSL
> modem connected to a Belkin wireless access point and I have installed
> a Belkin wireless network card into my PC.
> The network card can find the network OK. When I connect to the
> internet it works perfectly at first, but after 30secs - 5 minutes,
> the computer will freeze and I have to do a hard reboot. It does this
> every time I connect to the internet.
> Does anyone know what may be causing this problem and how to fix it?
> I have removed my other network card but it had no effect, I have also
> uninstalled the wireless network card and reinstalled it, I have
> uninstalled ICQ and any other programs that use the internet.
> I have used the same access point with my laptop with a belkin
> wireless card in in and that has always worked fine.
> I have win XP pro SP2.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Ian

Try disabling the Belkin wireless connectivity manager and use the
Windows Wireless manager instead. You disable the Belkin manager from
within that program.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Malke <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message news:<#nkol9YNFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>...
> Ian wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a DSL modem which I used to connect to dircetly and it worked
> > fine. I have moved my computer to another room and I now have the DSL
> > modem connected to a Belkin wireless access point and I have installed
> > a Belkin wireless network card into my PC.
> > The network card can find the network OK. When I connect to the
> > internet it works perfectly at first, but after 30secs - 5 minutes,
> > the computer will freeze and I have to do a hard reboot. It does this
> > every time I connect to the internet.
> > Does anyone know what may be causing this problem and how to fix it?
> > I have removed my other network card but it had no effect, I have also
> > uninstalled the wireless network card and reinstalled it, I have
> > uninstalled ICQ and any other programs that use the internet.
> > I have used the same access point with my laptop with a belkin
> > wireless card in in and that has always worked fine.
> > I have win XP pro SP2.
> >
> > thanks in advance
> >
> > Ian
>
> Try disabling the Belkin wireless connectivity manager and use the
> Windows Wireless manager instead. You disable the Belkin manager from
> within that program.
>
> Malke

Malke,

I have allready uninstalled all the software that came with the access
point and wireless network card, so I am just using the windows
wireless manager, the exact same problem occurs.

Do you have any other ideas??

Ian
Related resources
March 31, 2005 9:51:33 AM

Ian wrote:

> Malke <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> Ian wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have a DSL modem which I used to connect to dircetly and it
>> > worked fine. I have moved my computer to another room and I now
>> > have the DSL modem connected to a Belkin wireless access point and
>> > I have installed a Belkin wireless network card into my PC.
>> > The network card can find the network OK. When I connect to the
>> > internet it works perfectly at first, but after 30secs - 5 minutes,
>> > the computer will freeze and I have to do a hard reboot. It does
>> > this every time I connect to the internet.
>> > Does anyone know what may be causing this problem and how to fix
>> > it? I have removed my other network card but it had no effect, I
>> > have also uninstalled the wireless network card and reinstalled it,
>> > I have uninstalled ICQ and any other programs that use the
>> > internet. I have used the same access point with my laptop with a
>> > belkin wireless card in in and that has always worked fine.
>> > I have win XP pro SP2.
>> >
>> > thanks in advance
>> >
>> > Ian
>>
>> Try disabling the Belkin wireless connectivity manager and use the
>> Windows Wireless manager instead. You disable the Belkin manager from
>> within that program.
>>
>> Malke
>
> Malke,
>
> I have allready uninstalled all the software that came with the access
> point and wireless network card, so I am just using the windows
> wireless manager, the exact same problem occurs.

1. Is the computer 100% malware-free?
2. Are there any clues in Event Viewer? Start>Run eventvwr.msc [enter]
3. Reseat the wireless card - I assume it is pci.
4. Test with a different pci wireless card - perhaps the one you have is
defective.
5. I assume you have the latest drivers from Belkin's website for the
card.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com
In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol
The world is diminished without him.
April 3, 2005 3:36:32 AM

What make of motherboard do you have and what CPU are you using. Might be
that the card is hogging the PCI bus when other hardware wants to use the
PCI bus it upsets the netwrok card. There may be an option to enable
delayed PCI transaction (try enabling it) and on the same screen another
option called PCI Latency Timer; best performance setting for this is 32 but
when you have devices hogging the PCI bus setting to 16 can help.

Andy
April 3, 2005 7:36:57 PM

"Andrew" <andrewportess@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<114u42tn6h5b411@corp.supernews.com>...

> What make of motherboard do you have and what CPU are you using. Might be
> that the card is hogging the PCI bus when other hardware wants to use the
> PCI bus it upsets the netwrok card. There may be an option to enable
> delayed PCI transaction (try enabling it) and on the same screen another
> option called PCI Latency Timer; best performance setting for this is 32 but
> when you have devices hogging the PCI bus setting to 16 can help.

Thanks for all your help.
I talked to Belkin technical support and they said that the windows
firewall and not having your internet settings on never dial a
connection were the main causes of windows freezing. I disabled the
firewall and this made it better allthough it still froze after about
20 minutes on average.
I gave up on the Belkin card and took it back and swapped it for a
D-Link and it worked fine straight away, it still freezes about every
3 or 4 hours but it is a lot better than before.

I have a P4 800 speed with a gigabyte motherboard, where do I find the
PCI transaction settings?

Ian
!