JeN

Okay, I don't know what OEM means. I have all the same hardware from my old
computer yet just a new motherboard. I've tried to repair it and it never
asked for a key so at least that much is good, or very very bad. My XPPro cd
is the same. Repairing leads me to errors such as not being able to copy all
the files. Strange I also tried to do a new install and the very end of it
was a blue screen the said

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

TECH INFO : win32k.sys STOP:0X0000007A (OXE118AC9C, 0X00000E,
0XBF8ED7DD, 0X0E45680

You think it's and actual compatibility dislike. mobo not good for comp or
processor? Also, if I do contact an "authorized" service center, I only
bought my mobo from them... and my bro built my comp so the original brand is
unknown to me. though maybe intel pentium

OEM is short for Original Equipement Manufacturer. OEM software is sold
with a NEW PC. If you change the motherboard, this is considered to be a
different PC. However, there are two types of OEMs. The first type is the
a general version that you can buy, with new hardware, from most local
computer stores. The second one are the large computer makers (Dell,
Gateway, IBM...) that makes hundreds of PCs per line. They have a special
OEM version that permits them to install on large number of PCs.

OEM software is supposed to be forever tied to the first PC/motherboard that
the software is installed on. If the OEM is from a large OEM, then the
software may be "bios locked" to the orignal motherboard type. If you do
not replace the motherboard with the same make/model of motherboard, then
this version will never work on your different motherboard.

"jen" <jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay, I don't know what OEM means. I have all the same hardware from my
> old
> computer yet just a new motherboard. I've tried to repair it and it never
> asked for a key so at least that much is good, or very very bad. My XPPro
> cd
> is the same. Repairing leads me to errors such as not being able to copy
> all
> the files. Strange I also tried to do a new install and the very end of it
> was a blue screen the said
>
> KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
>
> TECH INFO : win32k.sys STOP:0X0000007A (OXE118AC9C, 0X00000E,
> 0XBF8ED7DD, 0X0E45680
>
> You think it's and actual compatibility dislike. mobo not good for comp or
> processor? Also, if I do contact an "authorized" service center, I only
> bought my mobo from them... and my bro built my comp so the original brand
> is
> unknown to me. though maybe intel pentium

Tim

In addition. While some OEM copies are tied to specific motherboards / bios,
this should be sort of obvious by looking at the case for the computer. IE
is it a big name brand? Would you expect the maker to do this? If so, then
you may have to get either a new OEM copy of XP or a replacement motherboard
for the old computer... If the copy of XP is OEM only then you will need to
reactivate XP. If the motherboard failed and you replaced it you should be
OK, but if it is say a Dell then sorry you will likely need a replacement
mobo (or something...).

You should be able to get further than you are... See this link for more
info on the error below:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_fvlq.asp

This makes it sound like hardware. I would download memtest86 from
www.memtest86.org and follow the instructions on the web site to ensure that
the CPU functions OK and that there are NO memory errors. If there is 1
memory error then no OS will install and work correctly.

Post back and let us know if you think your OEM copy is manufacturer
specific and how you get on....

- Tim

"jen" <jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay, I don't know what OEM means. I have all the same hardware from my
> old
> computer yet just a new motherboard. I've tried to repair it and it never
> asked for a key so at least that much is good, or very very bad. My XPPro
> cd
> is the same. Repairing leads me to errors such as not being able to copy
> all
> the files. Strange I also tried to do a new install and the very end of it
> was a blue screen the said
>
> KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
>
> TECH INFO : win32k.sys STOP:0X0000007A (OXE118AC9C, 0X00000E,
> 0XBF8ED7DD, 0X0E45680
>
> You think it's and actual compatibility dislike. mobo not good for comp or
> processor? Also, if I do contact an "authorized" service center, I only
> bought my mobo from them... and my bro built my comp so the original brand
> is
> unknown to me. though maybe intel pentium

To find out all about your motherboard and more, download and run Everest
Home Edition. It's free:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=1
It is possible that your version of XP was tailored to the old motherboard.
Do you have a folder in which your XP disk came? Do the disk and folder seem
to be original Microsoft products, or do they have the brand name of your
computer on them?