trouble with ati 9700 in sk41g

Howdy,

I just put a radeon 9700 pro into the wife's sk41g so she could play sims 2.
After playing for 10 to 15 minutes the machine reboots itself. The only
change is going from on-board video to the radeon 9700 and installing the
game. The machine comes right back up after the reboot and runs windows
2000 fine unless she starts up the sims.

The 9700 pro is on shuttle's support list for the sk41g and folks around
here have used it without issue. She has the silentX 250 W power supply.
Internally the system has an 1800+, 512 MB kingston RAM, 80 GB WB HD, MadDog
DVD, and iomega zip drive. Externally it has a linksys USB wireless adapter
and serial palm cradle.

Any ideas on troubleshooting before just start to remove one peripheral at a
time until the system is stable?

And if I can't get the 9700 to work, would be radeon 9000 or 9600 be a
better alternative?

TIA,

Sean G.

--
"I'd like to bury my face in two dozen 'Krispy Kreme' glazed donuts & just
lie there & think about Hello Kitty!"--Zippy

"Sean G." <ethanol at mathlab dot sunysb dot eee dee you> wrote in message
> Howdy,
>
> I just put a radeon 9700 pro into the wife's sk41g so she could play sims
> 2.
> After playing for 10 to 15 minutes the machine reboots itself. The only
> change is going from on-board video to the radeon 9700 and installing the
> game. The machine comes right back up after the reboot and runs windows
> 2000 fine unless she starts up the sims.
>
> The 9700 pro is on shuttle's support list for the sk41g and folks around
> here have used it without issue. She has the silentX 250 W power supply.
> Internally the system has an 1800+, 512 MB kingston RAM, 80 GB WB HD,
> MadDog
> DVD, and iomega zip drive. Externally it has a linksys USB wireless
> adapter
> and serial palm cradle.
>
> Any ideas on troubleshooting before just start to remove one peripheral at
> time until the system is stable?
>
> And if I can't get the 9700 to work, would be radeon 9000 or 9600 be a
> better alternative?
>

> TIA,
>

> Sean G.

It could be the cpu overheating - have you tried checking the temperatures
with "MBM"? http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
If so, then maybe the heatpipe needs re-seating or re-applying the thermal
compound, also sometimes the cpu shim can cause higher temperatures if it
had a blue protective plastic film on it.

Dave

"Sean G." <ethanol at mathlab dot sunysb dot eee dee you> wrote in
message news:MbSdnUxdd76J2fXcRVn-ig@comcast.com...
> Howdy,

> Any ideas on troubleshooting before just start to remove one
> peripheral at a
> time until the system is stable?

Has the 9700 pro ever worked in another machine?

There were issues with some of the first 9700 pros that were made
where they didn't like AGP 8x on certain motherboards. I had one that
refused to work and showed the same symptoms as yours.

The first thing to try is to set it to AGP 4x in the smartgart tab of
the display properties that is the official fix for boards with this
issue.

If it doesn't resolve the problem then I can say for a fact that
9600XTs work on that system as well as on my SN85G4.