Open for suggestions

I have ordered an SB51GNLB to build a mini for my daughter. I would
appreciate any suggestions about how to fill up the rest of the machine.
She is a regular, not a power user--email, web, AIM, iTunes, burn some CDs,
gaming to the level of The Sims 2, but no massive multiplayer or bleeding
edge shooters. I would like it to run smoothly and solidly, rather than
pushing the edge of any envelopes. Any suggestions for:

1. Processor? Celeron or P4? 2.2GHZ?
2. Memory--is 512MB enough?
3. On board video--how long will that satisfy our needs? Should I just
get a decent AGP card from the start, and if so, which one?
4. Do I need to buy a CPU fan or is Shuttles' heat pipe arrangement
enough to do the job?

Thanks very much. Both daughters are getting minis for Xmas, so I will be
back for suggestions for daughter #2.

"PJL" <harvard75atspamnocomcast.net> wrote in message

> 1. Processor? Celeron or P4? 2.2GHZ?

P4, celerons are a joke even just for email. 2.2GHz would be fine
IMHO.

> 2. Memory--is 512MB enough?

To be honest even if you were running high end games that would be
enough, I see no difference between my SN85G4 with 512MB and my P4EE
with 2GB

> 3. On board video--how long will that satisfy our needs? Should
> I just get a decent AGP card from the start, and if so, which one?

The onboard may suffice (not sure of the specs for the Sims 2) but I
would go for a Radeon 9600XT they are not overly priced (especially
the sapphire 9600XT lite retail version) and they are quiet and don't
draw much power and they should last you ages as the one I have in my
SN85G4 runs Doom3 at a decent frame rate

> 4. Do I need to buy a CPU fan or is Shuttles' heat pipe
> arrangement enough to do the job?

As long as you get some decent thermal paste (I like arctic silver)
and apply it properly (small amount spread very thin, just to fill any
scratches) and don't use the stuff shuttle provide then the heatpipe
thingy is excellent, I have a very overclocked Athlon64 that is as
cool as a cucumber.

Thanks very much! I appreciate your suggestions, and will follow up on
them. Cheers

"I like Toys and Cake" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "PJL" <harvard75atspamnocomcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> 1. Processor? Celeron or P4? 2.2GHZ?
>
> P4, celerons are a joke even just for email. 2.2GHz would be fine IMHO.
>
>> 2. Memory--is 512MB enough?
>
> To be honest even if you were running high end games that would be enough,
> I see no difference between my SN85G4 with 512MB and my P4EE with 2GB
>
>> 3. On board video--how long will that satisfy our needs? Should I
>> just get a decent AGP card from the start, and if so, which one?
>
> The onboard may suffice (not sure of the specs for the Sims 2) but I would
> go for a Radeon 9600XT they are not overly priced (especially the sapphire
> 9600XT lite retail version) and they are quiet and don't draw much power
> and they should last you ages as the one I have in my SN85G4 runs Doom3 at
> a decent frame rate
>
>> 4. Do I need to buy a CPU fan or is Shuttles' heat pipe arrangement
>> enough to do the job?
>
> As long as you get some decent thermal paste (I like arctic silver) and
> apply it properly (small amount spread very thin, just to fill any
> scratches) and don't use the stuff shuttle provide then the heatpipe
> thingy is excellent, I have a very overclocked Athlon64 that is as cool as
> a cucumber.

I'm new to Shuttle. I like the size. The price isn't too bad (newegg)
either.

Which one? I would prefer a P4. Doesn't have to be the fastest. Should I
stay away from certain ones?