boot disk not recognized

Hi,

We have a problem with C drive boot disk (WD1200JB - IDE 133) giving an
error of non-system disk. The disk light stays on solid also. Machine is
stripped to nothing but C drive and video. WinXP Pro. P4 basic machine.

What would be the best order of steps to trouble shoot this, and the most
likely causes?

Thanks!

--Randy Starkey

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:1159hsj2dee5cf9@corp.supernews.com,
Randy Starkey <randy.starkeyNOSPAM@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> had this to say:

> Hi,
>
> We have a problem with C drive boot disk (WD1200JB - IDE 133) giving
> an error of non-system disk. The disk light stays on solid also.
> Machine is stripped to nothing but C drive and video. WinXP Pro. P4
> basic machine.
> What would be the best order of steps to trouble shoot this, and the
> most likely causes?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Randy Starkey

Harddisk failure? I'd start there. Try a new drive, try the drive in an old
system.

Galen

Take the floppy out.

Modem Ani

"Randy Starkey" <randy.starkeyNOSPAM@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> wrote in
message news:1159hsj2dee5cf9@corp.supernews.com...
> Hi,
>
> We have a problem with C drive boot disk (WD1200JB - IDE 133) giving an
> error of non-system disk. The disk light stays on solid also. Machine is
> stripped to nothing but C drive and video. WinXP Pro. P4 basic machine.
>
> What would be the best order of steps to trouble shoot this, and the most
> likely causes?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Randy Starkey

Hi Modem,

Good point - but I'm better than that - checked that first thing. No floppy
in there.

The BIOS is sporadically not detecting C Drive so I'm pretty sure C is
dying/dead.

--Randy Starkey

"Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Take the floppy out.
>
> Modem Ani
>
> "Randy Starkey" <randy.starkeyNOSPAM@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> wrote in
> message news:1159hsj2dee5cf9@corp.supernews.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have a problem with C drive boot disk (WD1200JB - IDE 133) giving an
>> error of non-system disk. The disk light stays on solid also. Machine is
>> stripped to nothing but C drive and video. WinXP Pro. P4 basic machine.
>>
>> What would be the best order of steps to trouble shoot this, and the most
>> likely causes?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --Randy Starkey

Very well could be. Might also be the cable, the jumper or the BIOS itself.

In general, I always investigate the simple things first, since I'm not
knowledgable enough to cause an advanced problem. Yet ;->

message news:115aonpcub3aq17@corp.supernews.com...
> Hi Modem,
>
> Good point - but I'm better than that - checked that first thing. No
floppy
> in there.
>
> The BIOS is sporadically not detecting C Drive so I'm pretty sure C is
> dying/dead.
>
> --Randy Starkey
>

> "Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
> > Take the floppy out.
> >
> > Modem Ani
> >
> > "Randy Starkey" <randy.starkeyNOSPAM@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> wrote in
> > message news:1159hsj2dee5cf9@corp.supernews.com...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> We have a problem with C drive boot disk (WD1200JB - IDE 133) giving an
> >> error of non-system disk. The disk light stays on solid also. Machine
is
> >> stripped to nothing but C drive and video. WinXP Pro. P4 basic machine.
> >>
> >> What would be the best order of steps to trouble shoot this, and the
most
> >> likely causes?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> --Randy Starkey

"Randy Starkey" <randy.starkeyNOSPAM@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> wrote in
message news:1159hsj2dee5cf9@corp.supernews.com...
> Hi,
>
> We have a problem with C drive boot disk (WD1200JB - IDE 133) giving an
> error of non-system disk. The disk light stays on solid also. Machine is
> stripped to nothing but C drive and video. WinXP Pro. P4 basic machine.
>
> What would be the best order of steps to trouble shoot this, and the most
> likely causes?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Randy Starkey

Your first step should be to determine if WinXP is OK or not.
Perhaps you have only a minor problem with your boot environment.

- Format a floppy disk on some other WinXP/2000 PC.
Don't do it on a Win9x PC - it won't work. And don't try
and create some type of boot disk - just format it, nothing else!
- Copy these files from the \i386 folder of your WinXP CD to A:\
ntldr
ntdetect.com
- Create a file a:\boot.ini with these lines
[Boot Loader]
Timeout=3
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
Professional" /fastdetect
- Boot the machine with this floppy

Post the result here.

Thanks for the tips - I'll keep that on hand - it looks like the drive is
dying/dead though - it won't boot in another identical machine, and the BIOS
is sporadically not even recognizing the drive at all. Still think I should
run this?

--Randy

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> "Randy Starkey" <randy.starkeyNOSPAM@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> wrote in
> message news:1159hsj2dee5cf9@corp.supernews.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have a problem with C drive boot disk (WD1200JB - IDE 133) giving an
>> error of non-system disk. The disk light stays on solid also. Machine is
>> stripped to nothing but C drive and video. WinXP Pro. P4 basic machine.
>>
>> What would be the best order of steps to trouble shoot this, and the most
>> likely causes?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --Randy Starkey
>>

> Your first step should be to determine if WinXP is OK or not.
> Perhaps you have only a minor problem with your boot environment.
>
> - Format a floppy disk on some other WinXP/2000 PC.
> Don't do it on a Win9x PC - it won't work. And don't try
> and create some type of boot disk - just format it, nothing else!
> - Copy these files from the \i386 folder of your WinXP CD to A:\
> ntldr
> ntdetect.com
> - Create a file a:\boot.ini with these lines
> [Boot Loader]
> Timeout=3
> Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
> [Operating Systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect
> - Boot the machine with this floppy
>
> Post the result here.

It won't hurt. If the drive is dying then you should
download and run the diagnostic program from your
disk manufacturer's home site.

"Randy Starkey" <randy.starkeyNOSPAM@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> wrote in
message news:115aorrijnfasa9@corp.supernews.com...
> Thanks for the tips - I'll keep that on hand - it looks like the drive is
> dying/dead though - it won't boot in another identical machine, and the
BIOS
> is sporadically not even recognizing the drive at all. Still think I
should
> run this?
>
> --Randy
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Randy Starkey" <randy.starkeyNOSPAM@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> wrote in
> > message news:1159hsj2dee5cf9@corp.supernews.com...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> We have a problem with C drive boot disk (WD1200JB - IDE 133) giving an
> >> error of non-system disk. The disk light stays on solid also. Machine
is
> >> stripped to nothing but C drive and video. WinXP Pro. P4 basic machine.
> >>
> >> What would be the best order of steps to trouble shoot this, and the
most
> >> likely causes?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> --Randy Starkey
> >>

> > Your first step should be to determine if WinXP is OK or not.
> > Perhaps you have only a minor problem with your boot environment.
> >
> > - Format a floppy disk on some other WinXP/2000 PC.
> > Don't do it on a Win9x PC - it won't work. And don't try
> > and create some type of boot disk - just format it, nothing else!
> > - Copy these files from the \i386 folder of your WinXP CD to A:\
> > ntldr
> > ntdetect.com
> > - Create a file a:\boot.ini with these lines
> > [Boot Loader]
> > Timeout=3
> > Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
> > [Operating Systems]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> > Professional" /fastdetect
> > - Boot the machine with this floppy
> >
> > Post the result here.

It's a WD so will do that and see what it says. The freezer trick didn't
work <g>.