No front audio with AN35/N ultra

I've heard about issues here and there, but it seems there's no central
knowledge base for this problem. I just got the AN35/N, installed
everything just fine, and it's all working great, except for the audio. I
don't get anything from my front channels. I've got it set up for 5.1
sound, and I get sound from the center, sub, and rear L and R speakers, but
nothing from the front L and R. I've tried the driver on the mobo cd, I've
tried the latest nVidia audio driver, and also the Realtek driver, 3.64.
What the hell is going on, and how do I get my sound back?

Thanks for any help!

Matt

More details: I did hook up the front headphone output onto the
motherboard, and it turns out that they work. So I could either run it like
that (with the front speakers coming out of the front of the case, and
everything else working as designed), or is it possible that by
disconnecting the front audio from the mobo header, the rear jack will work?