Hi, for a given screen diagonal - say 15 inches - is the display area
always the same no matter the actual width and height implemented?

From what I remember of Mr. Pythags this is correct.

Im just calculating pixel sizes for the range of screen available to see
how they compare.

aus.

For LCDs, at least, monitors with the same diagonal measurement (e.g. 15")
have screens with identical dimensions (length and width) with a possible
exception for specialty monitors.

Modem Ani

"aus" <aus@aus.net> wrote in message
> Hi, for a given screen diagonal - say 15 inches - is the display area
> always the same no matter the actual width and height implemented?
>
> From what I remember of Mr. Pythags this is correct.
>
> Im just calculating pixel sizes for the range of screen available to see
> how they compare.
>
> aus.

And normal against widescreen?? (4:3 vs 16:9)

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> For LCDs, at least, monitors with the same diagonal measurement (e.g. 15")
> have screens with identical dimensions (length and width) with a possible
> exception for specialty monitors.
>
> Modem Ani
>
> "aus" <aus@aus.net> wrote in message
> > Hi, for a given screen diagonal - say 15 inches - is the display area
> > always the same no matter the actual width and height implemented?
> >
> > From what I remember of Mr. Pythags this is correct.
> >
> > Im just calculating pixel sizes for the range of screen available to see
> > how they compare.
> >
> > aus.

Hi, Thanks. What I was checking is that it doesnt matter what the
height/width dimensions are because for a given diagonal the area is
always constant.

So I had assumed 17" widescreen has the exact same area as a 17" normal
(4:3) ratio screen.

I was just checking my thinking...

Modem Ani wrote:
> For LCDs, at least, monitors with the same diagonal measurement (e.g. 15")
> have screens with identical dimensions (length and width) with a possible
> exception for specialty monitors.
>
> Modem Ani
>
> "aus" <aus@aus.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hi, for a given screen diagonal - say 15 inches - is the display area
>>always the same no matter the actual width and height implemented?
>>
>> From what I remember of Mr. Pythags this is correct.
>>
>>Im just calculating pixel sizes for the range of screen available to see
>>how they compare.
>>
>>aus.

As the angle of the diagonal changes, the area changes. A squared plus B
squared equals C squared. C squared equals the diagonal. AREA equals A
times B. So a 3:4 (9:12) is not EXACTLY the same as a 9:16, close yes,
exact no.