Device not showing up on My Computer

Hi, I've had a DVD-ROM and a CD -RW for some time. Today I tried to replace
the DVD with a Memorex 16X Dual Layer DVD burner and couldn't get the
computer to see the burner. I've worked backwards and have reinstalled the
original CD Burner as the master (leaving the old DVD player out for now).
The CD-RW shows up in the device manager as working and enabled, but doesn't
show up under My Computer. I can't see it or the contents of any disks. The
Burner is powered, mastered and when I restarted, the PC recognized it as
installed. I can't see it except in Device Manager under cd/dvd Drives
Location 0 (0)

Check the jumpers at the rear of the drive.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"RThompson" <RThompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I've had a DVD-ROM and a CD -RW for some time. Today I tried to
> replace
> the DVD with a Memorex 16X Dual Layer DVD burner and couldn't get the
> computer to see the burner. I've worked backwards and have reinstalled the
> original CD Burner as the master (leaving the old DVD player out for now).
> The CD-RW shows up in the device manager as working and enabled, but
> doesn't
> show up under My Computer. I can't see it or the contents of any disks.
> The
> Burner is powered, mastered and when I restarted, the PC recognized it as
> installed. I can't see it except in Device Manager under cd/dvd Drives
> Location 0 (0)

Hi Cari,
I checked the jumpers...in fact I uninstalled everything and went back to
the original config. DVD player as Master, Artec CD Burner as slave and
restarted. Everything returned to normal with the DVD ROM as the M: drive and
CDRW as N:

I thought that was a good sign, so I removed the DVDROM, set my new DVD
Burner as the Master and restarted. The drive gets power, lights up, spins,
XP identifies new hardware and confirms it's installed and enabled but....the
M: drive is nowhere to be found. The DVD Burner still shows in the device mgr
as working and enabled, but I can't see or use it????

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Check the jumpers at the rear of the drive.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "RThompson" <RThompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I've had a DVD-ROM and a CD -RW for some time. Today I tried to
> > replace
> > the DVD with a Memorex 16X Dual Layer DVD burner and couldn't get the
> > computer to see the burner. I've worked backwards and have reinstalled the
> > original CD Burner as the master (leaving the old DVD player out for now).
> > The CD-RW shows up in the device manager as working and enabled, but
> > doesn't
> > show up under My Computer. I can't see it or the contents of any disks.
> > The
> > Burner is powered, mastered and when I restarted, the PC recognized it as
> > installed. I can't see it except in Device Manager under cd/dvd Drives
> > Location 0 (0)

I have he same problem with an USB jump drive (sandisk cruzer mini 1.0 GB)
as an USER.

Works fine as an Administrator.

Appears in "Device Manager" but not in "My Computer".

I see that several people have this problem, but NO ONE has came up with
an answer.

Don

> Check the jumpers at the rear of the drive.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "RThompson" <RThompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, I've had a DVD-ROM and a CD -RW for some time. Today I tried to
>> replace
>> the DVD with a Memorex 16X Dual Layer DVD burner and couldn't get the
>> computer to see the burner. I've worked backwards and have reinstalled
>> the
>> original CD Burner as the master (leaving the old DVD player out for
>> now).
>> The CD-RW shows up in the device manager as working and enabled, but
>> doesn't
>> show up under My Computer. I can't see it or the contents of any disks.
>> The
>> Burner is powered, mastered and when I restarted, the PC recognized it as
>> installed. I can't see it except in Device Manager under cd/dvd Drives
>> Location 0 (0)

Disk management. Assign an unused drive letter.
TweakUI. UNhide drive letter.

Be aware that "users" often don't have necessary permissions to
"install" hardware.

Don Cole wrote:

> I have he same problem with an USB jump drive (sandisk cruzer mini 1.0 GB)
> as an USER.
>
> Works fine as an Administrator.
>
> Appears in "Device Manager" but not in "My Computer".
>
> I see that several people have this problem, but NO ONE has came up with
> an answer.
>
> Don
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>
>>Check the jumpers at the rear of the drive.
>>--
>>Cari (MS-MVP)
>>Printing & Imaging
>>
>>In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>>
>>"RThompson" <RThompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi, I've had a DVD-ROM and a CD -RW for some time. Today I tried to
>>>replace
>>>the DVD with a Memorex 16X Dual Layer DVD burner and couldn't get the
>>>computer to see the burner. I've worked backwards and have reinstalled
>>>the
>>>original CD Burner as the master (leaving the old DVD player out for
>>>now).
>>>The CD-RW shows up in the device manager as working and enabled, but
>>>doesn't
>>>show up under My Computer. I can't see it or the contents of any disks.
>>>The
>>>Burner is powered, mastered and when I restarted, the PC recognized it as
>>>installed. I can't see it except in Device Manager under cd/dvd Drives
>>>Location 0 (0)

Hi Bob
I replaced everything back to original and started over. The DVDROM was
recognized as the M: drive and the CD burner was back where it started as the
N: drive. I then removed the DVD ROM (which was the master) and replaced it
with the new DVD burner (also set to master). Restarted and viola...the new
burner lights up and spins and XP recognizes and confirms new hardware
installed and enabled but it's still missing from "My Computer". The devive
mgr says it's working OK. I have drive letter G-M and O-Z unassigned
according to TweakUI

"Bob I" wrote:

> Disk management. Assign an unused drive letter.
> TweakUI. UNhide drive letter.
>
> Be aware that "users" often don't have necessary permissions to
> "install" hardware.
>

> Don Cole wrote:
>
> > I have he same problem with an USB jump drive (sandisk cruzer mini 1.0 GB)
> > as an USER.
> >
> > Works fine as an Administrator.
> >
> > Appears in "Device Manager" but not in "My Computer".
> >
> > I see that several people have this problem, but NO ONE has came up with
> > an answer.
> >
> > Don
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Check the jumpers at the rear of the drive.
> >>--
> >>Cari (MS-MVP)
> >>Printing & Imaging
> >>
> >>In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> >>
> >>"RThompson" <RThompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

The Disk Manager was disabled (don't know how)..when I enabled it it named
the new DVD burner the F drive (which was already taken by a networked drive
from another PC)...I simply renamed the dvd burner the M drive and so far so
good!! Now to intsall NERO and see what happens then...lol

Thanks to all the replies!

"RThompson" wrote:

> Hi, I've had a DVD-ROM and a CD -RW for some time. Today I tried to replace
> the DVD with a Memorex 16X Dual Layer DVD burner and couldn't get the
> computer to see the burner. I've worked backwards and have reinstalled the
> original CD Burner as the master (leaving the old DVD player out for now).
> The CD-RW shows up in the device manager as working and enabled, but doesn't
> show up under My Computer. I can't see it or the contents of any disks. The
> Burner is powered, mastered and when I restarted, the PC recognized it as
> installed. I can't see it except in Device Manager under cd/dvd Drives
> Location 0 (0)

Hi, RThompson.

As someone else suggested...

Do you use TweakUI? Have you set any drives - especially M: - to be hidden?

What does Disk Management tell you about all your HDs/CDs/DVDs, etc. (At
the Run prompt, type: diskmgmt.msc)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> Hi Cari,
> I checked the jumpers...in fact I uninstalled everything and went back to
> the original config. DVD player as Master, Artec CD Burner as slave and
> restarted. Everything returned to normal with the DVD ROM as the M: drive
> and
> CDRW as N:
>
> I thought that was a good sign, so I removed the DVDROM, set my new DVD
> Burner as the Master and restarted. The drive gets power, lights up,
> spins,
> XP identifies new hardware and confirms it's installed and enabled
> but....the
> M: drive is nowhere to be found. The DVD Burner still shows in the device
> mgr
> as working and enabled, but I can't see or use it????
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Check the jumpers at the rear of the drive.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>
>> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>>
>> "RThompson" <RThompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi, I've had a DVD-ROM and a CD -RW for some time. Today I tried to
>> > replace
>> > the DVD with a Memorex 16X Dual Layer DVD burner and couldn't get the
>> > computer to see the burner. I've worked backwards and have reinstalled
>> > the
>> > original CD Burner as the master (leaving the old DVD player out for
>> > now).
>> > The CD-RW shows up in the device manager as working and enabled, but
>> > doesn't
>> > show up under My Computer. I can't see it or the contents of any disks.
>> > The
>> > Burner is powered, mastered and when I restarted, the PC recognized it
>> > as
>> > installed. I can't see it except in Device Manager under cd/dvd Drives
>> > Location 0 (0)

anna

"RThompson" <RThompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I've had a DVD-ROM and a CD -RW for some time. Today I tried to
> replace
> the DVD with a Memorex 16X Dual Layer DVD burner and couldn't get the
> computer to see the burner. I've worked backwards and have reinstalled the
> original CD Burner as the master (leaving the old DVD player out for now).
> The CD-RW shows up in the device manager as working and enabled, but
> doesn't
> show up under My Computer. I can't see it or the contents of any disks.
> The
> Burner is powered, mastered and when I restarted, the PC recognized it as
> installed. I can't see it except in Device Manager under cd/dvd Drives
> Location 0 (0)

RThompson:
1. As Cari has mentioned in another posting, check your jumper connections
on those two optical drives. And make certain your IDE cable connection to
the drive is securely seated in both the drive and the motherboard's IDE
connector.

2. Have you accessed the Disk Management utility to see if the drive(s) are
listed? Possibly that no drive letter has been assigned?

2. When you replaced your original DVD-ROM with the Memorex, was that
original drive working without incident? Or was there a problem with that
drive which caused you to replace it with the Memorex drive?

3. Assuming the original drive was working OK, when you reinstalled it after
having the problem with the Memorex, can you think of any reason it
wouldn't properly work since it was working properly immediately before you
removed it from your machine? You are *certain* it's jumpered correctly and
the IDE cable is securely fastened?

4. When you say the drive(s) are "mastered", I assume you're referring to
the fact that you've installed them as Secondary Masters, right? Assuming
there's no problem with the configuration/jumpering as noted above, have you
tried connecting them (even temporarily) as either a Primary or Secondary
Slave? And if so, with the same results?

5. There's always a chance that the IDE cable is defective. A long shot, but
it does happen. Ditto re the motherboard's IDE connector(s). But I really
don't think so. It's something more basic.
Anna

Hi Anna and RC
I may have found the problem (but no solution yet).
1st...
1. I double checked the cableing and master/slave settings. I swapped with
another cable to be sure.
2. The drives are all in the BIOS, my 2 HD's as primary master/slave and the
DVD Burner and CD Burner as secondary master/slave.

What may be the problem is...
1. I noticed on another discussion that MB's can only control 2 devices
each. This PC originally had a 40GB HD that was partitioned in half (It was
built for business use and had some admin programs and web building programs
on the partitioned sie D:) I had previously installed a second HD. I recently
added an 80GB HD and it was formatted and is usable as the E: drive. The
machine didn't kick out the M: or N" drive when I added the 2nd HD, but could
it now see that as 3 devices when trying to install new hardware?

2. Also, when trying to run Disk Manager I get an error pop up "The Logical
Disk Manager Service is Disabled. A connection cannot be made."

That doesn't sound good. but at least may point to a specific problem.

"Anna" wrote:

> "RThompson" <RThompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I've had a DVD-ROM and a CD -RW for some time. Today I tried to
> > replace
> > the DVD with a Memorex 16X Dual Layer DVD burner and couldn't get the
> > computer to see the burner. I've worked backwards and have reinstalled the
> > original CD Burner as the master (leaving the old DVD player out for now).
> > The CD-RW shows up in the device manager as working and enabled, but
> > doesn't
> > show up under My Computer. I can't see it or the contents of any disks.
> > The
> > Burner is powered, mastered and when I restarted, the PC recognized it as
> > installed. I can't see it except in Device Manager under cd/dvd Drives
> > Location 0 (0)
>

> RThompson:
> 1. As Cari has mentioned in another posting, check your jumper connections
> on those two optical drives. And make certain your IDE cable connection to
> the drive is securely seated in both the drive and the motherboard's IDE
> connector.
>
> 2. Have you accessed the Disk Management utility to see if the drive(s) are
> listed? Possibly that no drive letter has been assigned?
>
> 2. When you replaced your original DVD-ROM with the Memorex, was that
> original drive working without incident? Or was there a problem with that
> drive which caused you to replace it with the Memorex drive?
>
> 3. Assuming the original drive was working OK, when you reinstalled it after
> having the problem with the Memorex, can you think of any reason it
> wouldn't properly work since it was working properly immediately before you
> removed it from your machine? You are *certain* it's jumpered correctly and
> the IDE cable is securely fastened?
>
> 4. When you say the drive(s) are "mastered", I assume you're referring to
> the fact that you've installed them as Secondary Masters, right? Assuming
> there's no problem with the configuration/jumpering as noted above, have you
> tried connecting them (even temporarily) as either a Primary or Secondary
> Slave? And if so, with the same results?
>
> 5. There's always a chance that the IDE cable is defective. A long shot, but
> it does happen. Ditto re the motherboard's IDE connector(s). But I really
> don't think so. It's something more basic.
> Anna

anna

> Hi Anna and RC
> I may have found the problem (but no solution yet).
> 1st...
> 1. I double checked the cableing and master/slave settings. I swapped with
> another cable to be sure.
> 2. The drives are all in the BIOS, my 2 HD's as primary master/slave and
> the
> DVD Burner and CD Burner as secondary master/slave.
>
> What may be the problem is...
> 1. I noticed on another discussion that MB's can only control 2 devices
> each. This PC originally had a 40GB HD that was partitioned in half (It
> was
> built for business use and had some admin programs and web building
> programs
> on the partitioned sie D:) I had previously installed a second HD. I
> recently
> added an 80GB HD and it was formatted and is usable as the E: drive. The
> machine didn't kick out the M: or N" drive when I added the 2nd HD, but
> could
> it now see that as 3 devices when trying to install new hardware?
>
> 2. Also, when trying to run Disk Manager I get an error pop up "The
> Logical
> Disk Manager Service is Disabled. A connection cannot be made."
>
> That doesn't sound good. but at least may point to a specific problem.

"The Logical Disk Manager Service is Disabled"!
"The Logical Disk Manager Service is Disabled"!
"The Logical Disk Manager Service is Disabled"!
"The Logical Disk Manager Service is Disabled"!

Sometimes I want to scream...
Quick now! Go the Services (Start > Administrative Tools > Services)
Scroll down to "Logical Disk Manager", then "Restart the service"
Make sure your optical drive is correctly configured/jumpered.
Reboot
Anna

P. S.
And you will check for viruses and/or other malware, yes?

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Have you tried removing the old DVD drive, booting up everything
without the new drive, going into device manager and removing any
references and drivers for the old DVD, reboot again, make sure they
are gone, THEN install the new DVD drive? This should help clear out
any custom settings or device drivers from Windows.

Or if still having problems, go into CMOS Setup and use the IDE Device
Automatic IDE Configuration to clear out any user specified device
settings?

As for your devices, no. You have physical and logical devices. A Mobo
has 2 IDE channels, each channel can control 2 physical devices. Each
device can be split up into several Logical devices. (IE Partitions)
The assignment of a drive letter is not a function of the Mobo, but the
Operating System. For example, Windows assigns C:, D;, Etc. Linux
assigns /dev/hda1, /dev/hdb1 etc. In all fairness, fun to learn, but
not required here if you are using Factory Made IDE cables. This
because a standard cable will only allow the correct number of drives
to be connected. And with an Add-In card you can also add additional
mass storage devices. So, your partitioned primary C drive should have
no effect on your situation.