Running programs from SD storage card

July 19, 2004 4:09:39 AM

Hi

I have Ipaq 4150 + 512Mb SD card. I install most programs on the storage
card and they run fine. But if I turn off the Ipaq with some programs open
running from the SD, then when I turn on again the program will fail. I
tried the same program installed on main ram, no problem the program just
continues to run after a power off.

To me it seems the SD card i slow at starting. The Ipaq is up and running
before the SD card is ready. Is there some way to fix this ?

Lars
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 4:09:40 AM

No, no way to fix this. The solution is to determine which programs require
installation into main RAM and installing them there. I am curious which
programs exhibit this behavior. I know of many that do not take well to
restarting automatically after soft resets, notable today screen
enhancements and such, but hadn't found any that have a problem returning
from suspend if they run properly from a memory card in the first place.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"msnews.microsoft.com" <no@mail.com> wrote in message
news:o 7h8nPRbEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> I have Ipaq 4150 + 512Mb SD card. I install most programs on the storage
> card and they run fine. But if I turn off the Ipaq with some programs open
> running from the SD, then when I turn on again the program will fail. I
> tried the same program installed on main ram, no problem the program just
> continues to run after a power off.
>
> To me it seems the SD card i slow at starting. The Ipaq is up and running
> before the SD card is ready. Is there some way to fix this ?
>
> Lars

Anonymous
July 19, 2004 11:29:03 AM

The first program I seen this problem is skype for ppc (www.skype.com).

Lars

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> No, no way to fix this. The solution is to determine which programs
require
> installation into main RAM and installing them there. I am curious which
> programs exhibit this behavior. I know of many that do not take well to
> restarting automatically after soft resets, notable today screen
> enhancements and such, but hadn't found any that have a problem returning
> from suspend if they run properly from a memory card in the first place.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "msnews.microsoft.com" <no@mail.com> wrote in message
> news:o 7h8nPRbEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Hi
> >
> > I have Ipaq 4150 + 512Mb SD card. I install most programs on the storage
> > card and they run fine. But if I turn off the Ipaq with some programs
open
> > running from the SD, then when I turn on again the program will fail. I
> > tried the same program installed on main ram, no problem the program
just
> > continues to run after a power off.
> >
> > To me it seems the SD card i slow at starting. The Ipaq is up and
running
> > before the SD card is ready. Is there some way to fix this ?
> >
> > Lars

July 19, 2004 6:26:14 PM

In article <#8uQAzSbEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
sejohannsen@hotmail.com says...
> No, no way to fix this. The solution is to determine which programs require
> installation into main RAM and installing them there. I am curious which
> programs exhibit this behavior. I know of many that do not take well to
> restarting automatically after soft resets, notable today screen
> enhancements and such, but hadn't found any that have a problem returning
> from suspend if they run properly from a memory card in the first place.

Virtual Wallet is an example. It runs fine from a card until it
suspends. When you next power on the ppc VW will freeze the unit
requiring a reset. VW has a startup hook that detects the unit has been
off and closes the database and reprompts for a password. Apparently
that routine doesn't allow for the initialization delay of a card.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

Thanks, and I wasn't suggesting that there weren't such apps, just that I
had not seen one. Those are interesting 'flaws'. Skype might be compelling
and unique enough to overlook that, or work around it. I use E-Wallet and it
does not exhibit that behavior.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Jud Hardcastle" <l5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.removethis.com> wrote in