please help! harddrive problem!

ike

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2003

i have a maxtor hard drive that will not get recognized by xp pro.

i used to have it internally in an xp home machine, and i have files on it i
want to back up.

however, i cannot back it up if the computer doesnt recognize the drive!
ive tried formatting the drive to both Slave and Cable select, but neither
option works.

any suggestions?

Before we go any further , is the drive seen by the BIOS?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"ike" <ike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have a maxtor hard drive that will not get recognized by xp pro.
>
> i used to have it internally in an xp home machine, and i have files on it
> want to back up.
>
> however, i cannot back it up if the computer doesnt recognize the drive!
> ive tried formatting the drive to both Slave and Cable select, but neither
> option works.
>
> any suggestions?

If the drive is not seen by the bios it may just be too big for the computer
to read or you may have a bad controller card. Or even simpler your IDE
cable may be bad try a new one. After all that if you still have no success
try getting a new controller card they are 30-50 bucks at your local
computer store. If the drive still isnt being seen your drive may be bad.