ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).

Jim

Has anyone tried doing this?
I am, unfortunately on dial-up and I want to add a wireless router for my
Laptop to be able to access the Internet through the main computer (Home Base
Computer). Basically I have the Phone cable to the main PC (Normal
Connection to the net). I have a CAT5 from the main PC networking card to the
D-Link DI-624 Wireless Router.
Theoretically, the Laptop will be able to contact the router and the
information goes through the main PC Internal Modem., sharing . With the
router hooked up it seems to be doing it's job. The laptop can see a perfect
signal to the router but can't sync to it. I also want to be able to Network
with the main computer so I can print. I can see the microsoft versions of
Networking configurations but none seem to work.
If anyone has tried the same set-up and got it working, please let me know.
I'll keep trying, day 2.
JIM

Hi
It might work provided you use the Wireless Router as an Access Point with a switch and
assign to it an IP that can be accommodated by ICS.
This page was written for another purpose but it describe the principle of the Router's
configuration.
Wireless Router as an AP: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
This page deals with the ICS aspect.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx?pf=true
Hi
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone tried doing this?
> I am, unfortunately on dial-up and I want to add a wireless router for my
> Laptop to be able to access the Internet through the main computer (Home Base
> Computer). Basically I have the Phone cable to the main PC (Normal
> Connection to the net). I have a CAT5 from the main PC networking card to the
> D-Link DI-624 Wireless Router.
> Theoretically, the Laptop will be able to contact the router and the
> information goes through the main PC Internal Modem., sharing . With the
> router hooked up it seems to be doing it's job. The laptop can see a perfect
> signal to the router but can't sync to it. I also want to be able to Network
> with the main computer so I can print. I can see the microsoft versions of
> Networking configurations but none seem to work.
> If anyone has tried the same set-up and got it working, please let me know.
> I'll keep trying, day 2.
> JIM

Jim

Thanks Jack for the information. I'll do some reading and try again.
JIM