Trev

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2001

I have ann FN45 with an Athlon 2500 processor. It used to run at 50
degrees but just recently it has started running at 60 degrees for no
apparent reason. Because of this the cpu fan is constantly changing
speed making it quite noisy.

Can anyone explain/remedy this increase in temperature?

Thanks
--

Trev (Milnrow, UK)

"Trev" <trev@belt-man.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have ann FN45 with an Athlon 2500 processor. It used to run at 50
> degrees but just recently it has started running at 60 degrees for
> no
> apparent reason. Because of this the cpu fan is constantly changing
> speed making it quite noisy.
>
> Can anyone explain/remedy this increase in temperature?

Dust in the cooling fan, evaporated thermal paste, blocked vents. Not
sure if any of these apply but it's a good and inexpensive place to
start.

Trev

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2001

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:34:11 -0000, "I like Toys and Cake"
<me@privacy.net> wrote:

>"Trev" <trev@belt-man.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I have ann FN45 with an Athlon 2500 processor. It used to run at 50
>> degrees but just recently it has started running at 60 degrees for
>> no
>> apparent reason. Because of this the cpu fan is constantly changing
>> speed making it quite noisy.
>>
>> Can anyone explain/remedy this increase in temperature?
>
>Dust in the cooling fan, evaporated thermal paste, blocked vents. Not
>sure if any of these apply but it's a good and inexpensive place to
>start.

Unbelievable!! The cooling grille (behind the fan) was completely
caked with dust. I've cleaned it out and things are back to normal.
Tried to take the steel fan guard off for a better through-flow but
the fan falls to pieces without it.

cheers
--

Trev (Milnrow, UK)