SN85G4 Boot problem

I've just finished building one of these for a friend - using a 3.2
Athlon64.

When I booted it for the first time, the power came on without problem,
but the connected monitor did not display anything and looked as if the
attached keyboard hadn't been recognized. The installed DVD burner was
also just continually trying to access - there was nothing in the drive.
It's been built with a SATA HDD and I have the FDD connected. I was just
about to load XP and feed it the SATA drivers from the floppy.

Any pointers anyone? I've checked all the usual connections and that the
RAM is installed and seated properly.

Shame - I've built quite a few Shuttles over the past few years and this
is the first one I've had any trouble with :(

Thanks for your help.
Steve

[email: watch the SPAMTRAP]

"Netman ®" <newsgroup@SPAMTRAPsvaw.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've just finished building one of these for a friend - using a 3.2
> Athlon64.
>
> When I booted it for the first time, the power came on without
> problem, but the connected monitor did not display anything and
> looked as if the attached keyboard hadn't been recognized. The
> installed DVD burner was also just continually trying to access -
> there was nothing in the drive. It's been built with a SATA HDD and
> I have the FDD connected. I was just about to load XP and feed it
> the SATA drivers from the floppy.
>
> Any pointers anyone? I've checked all the usual connections and that
> the RAM is installed and seated properly.

I have 2 SN85G4s and neither of them had the DVD drive problem you
describe but on one of them I have to set the video initialisation in
BIOS to PCI then AGP instead AGP then PCI (even though it has an AGP
card) otherwise the screen is corrupt. Also on the same one there
seems to be power to the PS/2 and keyboard ports even with the machine
off and all the "power up by keyboard/mouse" etc off (it broke a PS/2
optical mouse because the laser was on permanently)

The other machine has no issues at all so I think there may be some
bad motherboards in some of them.