RAID 0 and RAID 1 (so NOT RAID 0+1) possible on SB81P

Hi everyone!

I read/heard somewhere that it would be possible to have a RAID 0
portion and a RAID 1 portion on the same disk-pair on a SB81P. Is this true?

If so, does it actually work? ;-)

Regards,
Evert

Evert Meulie <evert@witelcom.com> wrote in message news:<8ds362-4gm.ln1@witelcom.com>...
> Hi everyone!
>
> I read/heard somewhere that it would be possible to have a RAID 0
> portion and a RAID 1 portion on the same disk-pair on a SB81P. Is this true?
>
> If so, does it actually work? ;-)

I have a SB81P set up that way. I have two 200GB SATA disks. I
created a 40GB RAID 1 volume and a 292GB RAID 0 volume. Seems to work
great!

Thad

Thad Touchton wrote:
> Evert Meulie <evert@witelcom.com> wrote in message news:<8ds362-4gm.ln1@witelcom.com>...
>
>>Hi everyone!
>>
>>I read/heard somewhere that it would be possible to have a RAID 0
>>portion and a RAID 1 portion on the same disk-pair on a SB81P. Is this true?
>>
>>If so, does it actually work? ;-)
>

> I have a SB81P set up that way. I have two 200GB SATA disks. I
> created a 40GB RAID 1 volume and a 292GB RAID 0 volume. Seems to work
> great!
>
> Thad

Where is the setup/partitioning being done? At boot-up in the BIOS, or
in WinXP?

Regards,
Evert Meulie

Evert Meulie <evert@witelcom.com> wrote in message news:<qor872-8pt.ln1@witelcom.com>...

> Where is the setup/partitioning being done? At boot-up in the BIOS, or
> in WinXP?

It's in the BIOS for the RAID controler. During bootup, there's an
option to press '<cntrl> I' to enter the RAID controler BIOS. That
utility shows the physical drives and allows you to manipulate
logicial volumes. In my case I created a logical volume that's 40GB
in size and specified RAID 1. I created another logical volume that's
292GB and specified RAID 0. Once done, the OS sees this as two
logical drives.......

The documentation shipped with the SB81P is quite good for the RAID
stuff. There is a utility that allows you to perform many RAID
functions from Windows. I've used it to view the status of the
logical and physical volumes, but since I was only making two logical
volumes, using the BIOS was quicker. And, one of the volumes was my
'boot partition'. Had to do that one from the BIOS.

Thad

Thad Touchton wrote:
> Evert Meulie <evert@witelcom.com> wrote in message news:<qor872-8pt.ln1@witelcom.com>...
>

>>Where is the setup/partitioning being done? At boot-up in the BIOS, or
>>in WinXP?
>

> It's in the BIOS for the RAID controler. During bootup, there's an
> option to press '<cntrl> I' to enter the RAID controler BIOS. That
> utility shows the physical drives and allows you to manipulate
> logicial volumes. In my case I created a logical volume that's 40GB
> in size and specified RAID 1. I created another logical volume that's
> 292GB and specified RAID 0. Once done, the OS sees this as two
> logical drives.......
>
> The documentation shipped with the SB81P is quite good for the RAID
> stuff. There is a utility that allows you to perform many RAID
> functions from Windows. I've used it to view the status of the
> logical and physical volumes, but since I was only making two logical
> volumes, using the BIOS was quicker. And, one of the volumes was my
> 'boot partition'. Had to do that one from the BIOS.
>
> Thad

Sounds good! :)
As soon as those nit-wits ship me my other drive and the RAM I'll go
play with it right away! :)
I think I'll have more than 2 partitions on my 2x300GB set though... ;-)

Evert

Thad Touchton wrote:
> Evert Meulie <evert@witelcom.com> wrote in message news:<qor872-8pt.ln1@witelcom.com>...
>

>>Where is the setup/partitioning being done? At boot-up in the BIOS, or
>>in WinXP?
>

> It's in the BIOS for the RAID controler. During bootup, there's an
> option to press '<cntrl> I' to enter the RAID controler BIOS. That
> utility shows the physical drives and allows you to manipulate
> logicial volumes. In my case I created a logical volume that's 40GB
> in size and specified RAID 1. I created another logical volume that's
> 292GB and specified RAID 0. Once done, the OS sees this as two
> logical drives.......
>
> The documentation shipped with the SB81P is quite good for the RAID
> stuff. There is a utility that allows you to perform many RAID
> functions from Windows. I've used it to view the status of the
> logical and physical volumes, but since I was only making two logical
> volumes, using the BIOS was quicker. And, one of the volumes was my
> 'boot partition'. Had to do that one from the BIOS.

And besides this 2xS-ATA setup I will also be able to hook up a P-ATA
drive as well, right?
(I have 2 P-ATA drives laying around and am planning on using one of
them as 'temp-disk'. Although... Maybe a striped partition on the
2xS-ATA will be faster than the P-ATA?)

Regards,
Evert

Evert Meulie <evert@witelcom.com> wrote in message news:<rjhg72-8pd.ln1@witelcom.com>...

> And besides this 2xS-ATA setup I will also be able to hook up a P-ATA
> drive as well, right?
> (I have 2 P-ATA drives laying around and am planning on using one of
> them as 'temp-disk'. Although... Maybe a striped partition on the
> 2xS-ATA will be faster than the P-ATA?)

The only thing I've connected to my IDE interface is a DVD/CD-RW
drive. I would assume you could connect a hard drive there as well.
But, if you are looking for speed, I think your comment on using a
striped volume from your SATA RAID is correct.

Thad

Thad Touchton wrote:
> Evert Meulie <evert@witelcom.com> wrote in message news:<rjhg72-8pd.ln1@witelcom.com>...
>

>>And besides this 2xS-ATA setup I will also be able to hook up a P-ATA
>>drive as well, right?
>>(I have 2 P-ATA drives laying around and am planning on using one of
>>them as 'temp-disk'. Although... Maybe a striped partition on the
>>2xS-ATA will be faster than the P-ATA?)
>

> The only thing I've connected to my IDE interface is a DVD/CD-RW
> drive. I would assume you could connect a hard drive there as well.
> But, if you are looking for speed, I think your comment on using a
> striped volume from your SATA RAID is correct.

I'm not sure... Striped or not, a temp drive on the RAID-volume would
still have to share 'the line' with the other partitions there. If I
were to use a P-ATA drive instead, then that one would be on its own
line, right?

Hmm, this is something I'm gonna test as soon as I have the system up.
Currently it's waiting for the [beep]-guys at Norek to ship me my
graphics card... :-/

Regards,
Evert Meulie