Dell 720 not respomding

when i recieved the Dell 720 printer it didnt have a usb cable so I used a
spare HP cable which worked great and everything came out ok. Then one day I
went to the printer to print out some work and it said that there wasn't a
printer pluged in or
> installed. I had originally installed it seen as its plug and play anyway, it
was connected and turned on, all the software is wtill installed so i
decided to
put it in a different usb port but this still didnt do anything.

> I tried restarting with the printer not pluged in and then plug it in but that
didnt do anything, so it appears asthough its not responding but when you
unplug
it and plug it in the sound comes up showing that
> windows does know that somthing has been unplugged and plugged in but it still
doesnt do anything

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi,

Just for your reference,

Maybe a driver is needed to be removed and reinstalled?

Hope this helps.

"Alastairg100" <alastairg100@hotmail.com>
???????:80D513A7-450A-4CEE-9116-5FDC0637BAB3@microsoft.com...
> when i recieved the Dell 720 printer it didnt have a usb cable so I used a
> spare HP cable which worked great and everything came out ok. Then one day
> went to the printer to print out some work and it said that there wasn't a
> printer pluged in or
>> installed. I had originally installed it seen as its plug and play
>> anyway, it
> was connected and turned on, all the software is wtill installed so i
> decided to
> put it in a different usb port but this still didnt do anything.
>>
>> I tried restarting with the printer not pluged in and then plug it in but
>> that
> didnt do anything, so it appears asthough its not responding but when you
> unplug
> it and plug it in the sound comes up showing that
>> windows does know that somthing has been unplugged and plugged in but it
>> still
> doesnt do anything

I think if you look in Printers and Faxes and see if the printer in question
is listed there.
If so click on that printer and then click "Remove"
You might also have to remove it from the list of hardware in Control Pane
if it shows there.
Then, just to be safe, reboot the computer. Power on the printer with the
USB cable NOT connected to the PC.
Plug the cable into a USB port and the PC should report that "New Hardware"
has been found.
If you have the manual for the printer review that to see if it says you
should install the driver(s) first and then connect the printer. Or
alternatively you may need to plug in the printer and when Windows asks for
the location of the drivers point to the drive that has the software in it.
Good Luck. . .