Roam from Gprs network to Wifi network

Hi

I need to implement a roaming configuration on a laptop computer
(Windows 2000 SP4).

The computer has 2 PCMCIA Cards :
- A PCMCIA GPRS Card
- A CISCO 802.11 Card

There is a RAS GPRS connection that is configured on the Windows
System.

Now I want to add the WIFI card and implement an automatic roaming I
mean :

- When the WIFI network is available, automatically start the WIFI
connection and stop the GPRS connection
- When the GPRS network is available, automatically start the GPRS
connection and stop the WIFI connection

I know that I will have to parameter the metrics data for choosing the
right network.

Questions :
- How to implement these functions ? Do I have to use the Wireless
Zero Configuration APIs ? With WZC APIs can I define the 802.11
parameters (SSID to connect to, authentication parameters, PEAP, EAP,
WEP, WPA...) ?
- How to define the metrics for choosing the right network ?
- Can all this be implemented without programming ? If not, can this
be implemented with Visual C++ 7 (.NET) ?

Thank you for any information.

Hi,

Microsoft only provides an 802.1X supplicant for Windows 2000 and does
not provide a client for configuring 802.11 settings. From Windows XP
Wireless Deployment Technology and Component Overview on
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wificomp.mspx
:

"Windows 2000 SP4 includes support for PEAP and for the Smart Card or other
Certificate Properties dialog box as previously described. However, because
Windows 2000 SP4 does not include Wireless Auto Configuration, all
configuration of wireless networks must be done using configuration tools
provided by the wireless network adapter vendor."

So, you will probably have to check with the vendors who provide your
client for configuring GPRS & 802.11 settings.

Best of luck,
Chris Gual [MSFT]

"Chris Gual [MSFT]" <cgual@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<#nn0cPkNFHA.3624@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> Hi,
>
> Microsoft only provides an 802.1X supplicant for Windows 2000 and does
> not provide a client for configuring 802.11 settings. From Windows XP
> Wireless Deployment Technology and Component Overview on
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wificomp.mspx
> :
>
> "Windows 2000 SP4 includes support for PEAP and for the Smart Card or other
> Certificate Properties dialog box as previously described. However, because
> Windows 2000 SP4 does not include Wireless Auto Configuration, all
> configuration of wireless networks must be done using configuration tools
> provided by the wireless network adapter vendor."
>
> So, you will probably have to check with the vendors who provide your
> client for configuring GPRS & 802.11 settings.
>
> Best of luck,
> Chris Gual [MSFT]
>
> "mcode" <microcode2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I need to implement a roaming configuration on a laptop computer
> > (Windows 2000 SP4).
> >
> > The computer has 2 PCMCIA Cards :
> > - A PCMCIA GPRS Card
> > - A CISCO 802.11 Card
> >
> > There is a RAS GPRS connection that is configured on the Windows
> > System.
> >
> > Now I want to add the WIFI card and implement an automatic roaming I
> > mean :
> >
> > - When the WIFI network is available, automatically start the WIFI
> > connection and stop the GPRS connection
> > - When the GPRS network is available, automatically start the GPRS
> > connection and stop the WIFI connection
> >
> > I know that I will have to parameter the metrics data for choosing the
> > right network.
> >
> > Questions :
> > - How to implement these functions ? Do I have to use the Wireless
> > Zero Configuration APIs ? With WZC APIs can I define the 802.11
> > parameters (SSID to connect to, authentication parameters, PEAP, EAP,
> > WEP, WPA...) ?
> > - How to define the metrics for choosing the right network ?
> > - Can all this be implemented without programming ? If not, can this
> > be implemented with Visual C++ 7 (.NET) ?
> >
> > Thank you for any information.

So for a Windows 2000 platform the only way is to access directly to
the NDIS APIs.

Another thing : I can't understand why my 802.11 card installer
printed out "NDIS 1.2..." installed. Why didn't it install a NDIS 4/5
?

I've also heard that some NDIS or WMI functions were bugged around
802.11. I don't remember exactly which function but I know there's a
registry fix.

Thanks

microcode2004@hotmail.com (mcode) wrote in message news:<480bd64a.0504020349.a182eb5@posting.google.com>...
> "Chris Gual [MSFT]" <cgual@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<#nn0cPkNFHA.3624@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Microsoft only provides an 802.1X supplicant for Windows 2000 and does
> > not provide a client for configuring 802.11 settings. From Windows XP
> > Wireless Deployment Technology and Component Overview on
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wificomp.mspx
> > :
> >
> > "Windows 2000 SP4 includes support for PEAP and for the Smart Card or other
> > Certificate Properties dialog box as previously described. However, because
> > Windows 2000 SP4 does not include Wireless Auto Configuration, all
> > configuration of wireless networks must be done using configuration tools
> > provided by the wireless network adapter vendor."
> >
> > So, you will probably have to check with the vendors who provide your
> > client for configuring GPRS & 802.11 settings.
> >

> > Best of luck,
> > Chris Gual [MSFT]
> >
> > "mcode" <microcode2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I need to implement a roaming configuration on a laptop computer
> > > (Windows 2000 SP4).
> > >
> > > The computer has 2 PCMCIA Cards :
> > > - A PCMCIA GPRS Card
> > > - A CISCO 802.11 Card
> > >
> > > There is a RAS GPRS connection that is configured on the Windows
> > > System.
> > >
> > > Now I want to add the WIFI card and implement an automatic roaming I
> > > mean :
> > >
> > > - When the WIFI network is available, automatically start the WIFI
> > > connection and stop the GPRS connection
> > > - When the GPRS network is available, automatically start the GPRS
> > > connection and stop the WIFI connection
> > >
> > > I know that I will have to parameter the metrics data for choosing the
> > > right network.
> > >
> > > Questions :
> > > - How to implement these functions ? Do I have to use the Wireless
> > > Zero Configuration APIs ? With WZC APIs can I define the 802.11
> > > parameters (SSID to connect to, authentication parameters, PEAP, EAP,
> > > WEP, WPA...) ?
> > > - How to define the metrics for choosing the right network ?
> > > - Can all this be implemented without programming ? If not, can this
> > > be implemented with Visual C++ 7 (.NET) ?
> > >
> > > Thank you for any information.
>
> So for a Windows 2000 platform the only way is to access directly to
> the NDIS APIs.
>
> Another thing : I can't understand why my 802.11 card installer
> printed out "NDIS 1.2..." installed. Why didn't it install a NDIS 4/5
> ?
>
> I've also heard that some NDIS or WMI functions were bugged around
> 802.11. I don't remember exactly which function but I know there's a
> registry fix.
>
> Thanks

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B327194&x=9&y=13
the web page mentionning the fix, but resolved in sp4

the ndis version is the one for the card

TRENDING THREADS