AV49PN Boot Sequence Question...

Cloaked

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003

I have an AV49PN motherboard, this board has a VIA SATA RAID
controller on it. I am considering getting a SATA drive, but thought I
would check out a few things first.

First question...

In the boot sequence I see things like "network", "IDE-1", "BBS-0",
but no mention of SATA, RAID, or anything else which seems to
logically link to booting off of a SATA drive on this mobo. Which
setting points to the SATA controller??? YES, I have looked a the
manual - and the manual is useless, all it tells me are the options
available! not one damn word about what the options actually mean or
do! :(

Secondly, a freind of mine was unable to use Norton Ghost to copy info
from an existing drive onto a SATA on a different motherboard because
the SATA controller was a RAID controller! Has anyone tried this with
the AV49??? Will I be able to use Ghost to copy my IDE disk onto the
SATA disk?? I would really like to know before I invest in a hard
drive I wont be able to return!

All comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The Boot sequence on my Shuttle doesn't list the SATA drive either.
However, if I specify a non-bootable drive first, e.g. a USB drive which is
not bootable, it will boot off of the SATA without any problem. Don't
worry.
Second question. You will have to load the device drivers for the VIA
chipset in order to recognize the new drives. You may have to load a fresh
windows onto the new drive before you run the ghost. Again .. don't worry.

"Cloaked" <CloakedRun2001@NOSAPM.yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>I have an AV49PN motherboard, this board has a VIA SATA RAID
> controller on it. I am considering getting a SATA drive, but thought I
> would check out a few things first.
>
> First question...
>
> In the boot sequence I see things like "network", "IDE-1", "BBS-0",
> but no mention of SATA, RAID, or anything else which seems to
> logically link to booting off of a SATA drive on this mobo. Which
> setting points to the SATA controller??? YES, I have looked a the
> manual - and the manual is useless, all it tells me are the options
> available! not one damn word about what the options actually mean or
> do! :(
>
> Secondly, a freind of mine was unable to use Norton Ghost to copy info
> from an existing drive onto a SATA on a different motherboard because
> the SATA controller was a RAID controller! Has anyone tried this with
> the AV49??? Will I be able to use Ghost to copy my IDE disk onto the
> SATA disk?? I would really like to know before I invest in a hard
> drive I wont be able to return!
>
> All comments greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Cloaked

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 21:51:57 +0900, "David Jones"
<david.jones@eontec.com> wrote:

>The Boot sequence on my Shuttle doesn't list the SATA drive either.
>However, if I specify a non-bootable drive first, e.g. a USB drive which is
>not bootable, it will boot off of the SATA without any problem. Don't
>worry.

I was going to keep my old drive "on-line" for a while, and the old
drive is the bootable IDE drive. I suppose if I remove the IDE drives
from the boot sequence alltogether, then that might work.

Do you have the "Try other boot devices" enabled????

> Second question. You will have to load the device drivers for the VIA
>chipset in order to recognize the new drives. You may have to load a fresh
>windows onto the new drive before you run the ghost. Again .. don't worry.

I have Ghost 2003, and what it does is create a bootable floppy. Are
there "dos" drivers for the VIA RAID controller??

Rebuilding my windows setup from scratch is NOT an option - way too
much work.

>"Cloaked" <CloakedRun2001@NOSAPM.yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>>I have an AV49PN motherboard, this board has a VIA SATA RAID
>> controller on it. I am considering getting a SATA drive, but thought I
>> would check out a few things first.
>>
>> First question...
>>
>> In the boot sequence I see things like "network", "IDE-1", "BBS-0",
>> but no mention of SATA, RAID, or anything else which seems to
>> logically link to booting off of a SATA drive on this mobo. Which
>> setting points to the SATA controller??? YES, I have looked a the
>> manual - and the manual is useless, all it tells me are the options
>> available! not one damn word about what the options actually mean or
>> do! :(
>>
>> Secondly, a freind of mine was unable to use Norton Ghost to copy info
>> from an existing drive onto a SATA on a different motherboard because
>> the SATA controller was a RAID controller! Has anyone tried this with
>> the AV49??? Will I be able to use Ghost to copy my IDE disk onto the
>> SATA disk?? I would really like to know before I invest in a hard
>> drive I wont be able to return!
>>
>> All comments greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks

Why don't you use something besides ghost? I have used xxcopy.
You can keep your old drive as the master... no problem choose that as the
first in the boot sequence.
and you are done.

> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 21:51:57 +0900, "David Jones"
> <david.jones@eontec.com> wrote:
>
>>The Boot sequence on my Shuttle doesn't list the SATA drive either.
>>However, if I specify a non-bootable drive first, e.g. a USB drive which
>>is
>>not bootable, it will boot off of the SATA without any problem. Don't
>>worry.
>
> I was going to keep my old drive "on-line" for a while, and the old
> drive is the bootable IDE drive. I suppose if I remove the IDE drives
> from the boot sequence alltogether, then that might work.
>
> Do you have the "Try other boot devices" enabled????
>
>> Second question. You will have to load the device drivers for the VIA
>>chipset in order to recognize the new drives. You may have to load a
>>fresh
>>windows onto the new drive before you run the ghost. Again .. don't
>>worry.
>>

> I have Ghost 2003, and what it does is create a bootable floppy. Are
> there "dos" drivers for the VIA RAID controller??
>
> Rebuilding my windows setup from scratch is NOT an option - way too
> much work.
>

>>"Cloaked" <CloakedRun2001@NOSAPM.yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>>>I have an AV49PN motherboard, this board has a VIA SATA RAID
>>> controller on it. I am considering getting a SATA drive, but thought I
>>> would check out a few things first.
>>>
>>> First question...
>>>
>>> In the boot sequence I see things like "network", "IDE-1", "BBS-0",
>>> but no mention of SATA, RAID, or anything else which seems to
>>> logically link to booting off of a SATA drive on this mobo. Which
>>> setting points to the SATA controller??? YES, I have looked a the
>>> manual - and the manual is useless, all it tells me are the options
>>> available! not one damn word about what the options actually mean or
>>> do! :(
>>>
>>> Secondly, a freind of mine was unable to use Norton Ghost to copy info
>>> from an existing drive onto a SATA on a different motherboard because
>>> the SATA controller was a RAID controller! Has anyone tried this with
>>> the AV49??? Will I be able to use Ghost to copy my IDE disk onto the
>>> SATA disk?? I would really like to know before I invest in a hard
>>> drive I wont be able to return!
>>>
>>> All comments greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks

Cloaked

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003

I believe that my old drive may be on the way "out". I wanted to copy
the entire partition and transfer operation to the new drive, that way
the worst I have to face might be re-activation as opposed to
re-installation.

If xxcopy will fill the bill, then perhaps I will try that - I was not
so sure that xxcopy copied all the system files and registry files
though.

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:15:04 +0900, "David Jones"