X800-series & 6800-series GPU's not in SB81P??

Hi everyone!

I've just been told by an official Shuttle reseller(?) that because of a
combination of heat/size/power consumption issues, it is not possible to
use anything higher than a X600 (ATI) or a 6600 (NVidia) in a Shuttle
SB81P. Is this true...??

Regards,
Evert Meulie

"Evert Meulie" <evert@witelcom.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone!
>
> I've just been told by an official Shuttle reseller(?) that because
> of a combination of heat/size/power consumption issues, it is not
> possible to use anything higher than a X600 (ATI) or a 6600 (NVidia)
> in a Shuttle SB81P. Is this true...??

I don't know about the SB81P but my SN85G4 has a X800XT in it with no
problems and it only has the standard PSU and cooling. 6800 probably
wouldn't fit though as the 6800 Ultra I have in my other PC takes 2
slots and the extra slot is on the wrong side for some if not all
shuttles

How do the fans run on that system? Low-speed/noise most of the time, or
are they all at full-speed to keep the box cooled?
Do you have some temp. readings/measurements for us?

Which X800XT do you have in that system?

Regards,
Evert

> How do the fans run on that system? Low-speed/noise most of the
> time, or are they all at full-speed to keep the box cooled?
> Do you have some temp. readings/measurements for us?

Fans are on the lowest setting most of the time and then step up just
a little during gameplay. The only time they have been on full was
during the summer when I first got the card and the air conditioning
broke in my house and ambient temperature was around 28 degrees
Celcius

Mostly the CPU runs around 35-40 idle and 45-52 under load the most it
got to during few days with no air-con was 59

My CPU is an Athlon 64 3200+ and is not overclocked

> Which X800XT do you have in that system?

It's an Asus AX800 XT PE

Shuttle USA has just confirmed to me: 'Yes. It does support X800 and
GF6800GT'

Regards,
Evert