What is wrong with my RAM...?

Johanna

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Hi,
I have a Shuttle with an FB61 mainboard.
I just bought 1 GB of new RAM for the free slot. The RAM is of the make
"simtec" and it is PC2700 compliant DDR SD RAM. This should be ok as per
the mainboard manual... However when this RAM is plugged in, the machine
doesn't boot! The monitor remains black and I can see that the machine
is trying, but isn't able to boot...
Please could someone explain what is going on?

I checked the stamp my existing RAM which works... this is Samsung...
This is the site that I bought it from
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products.asp
Grateful for any advise on what to do!

Regards
Johanna

In article <4192823e$1@news1.homechoice.co.uk>, Johanna says...
> Hi,
> I have a Shuttle with an FB61 mainboard.
> I just bought 1 GB of new RAM for the free slot. The RAM is of the make
> "simtec" and it is PC2700 compliant DDR SD RAM. This should be ok as per
> the mainboard manual... However when this RAM is plugged in, the machine
> doesn't boot! The monitor remains black and I can see that the machine
> is trying, but isn't able to boot...
> Please could someone explain what is going on?
>
> I checked the stamp my existing RAM which works... this is Samsung...
> This is the site that I bought it from
> http://www.aria.co.uk/Products.asp
> Grateful for any advise on what to do!

Oh dear.

Arias RAM is absolutely shite. I've had nothing but trouble with
anything but the Corsair stuff they sell. Currently I have four sticks
of 256MB PC133 that will only work in one machine. Tried them in five
seperate machines from hombuilt Intel/Via to Compaq Desktops.

I will no longer buy any RAM from them - its that dire.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Johanna

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Hi Conor,
Did you get a refund from Aria?
I thought I'd simply send it back and exchange it.. But based on what
you are saying it seems that I may be best returning it and buying
elsewhere..
Not very experienced, so you would you be able to recommend somewhere in
central or SW London, or a good site?
Thanks for helping!
Jo

In article <41929c99$1@news1.homechoice.co.uk>, Johanna says...
> Hi Conor,
> Did you get a refund from Aria?
> I thought I'd simply send it back and exchange it.. But based on what
> you are saying it seems that I may be best returning it and buying
> elsewhere..

Can't get a refund because it does work. Its just incompatible with 80%
of the PCs I've tried it on but its up to the buyer to ensure it is
compatible.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

You should always buy the fastest ram for the machine.... i.e. PC3200 or
better. Secondly, I had the same problems with my ST61.
I started out using the preferred A-Data, then upgraded to Samsung , then
Kingston...... The Kingston finally workded. Go with the best brand
name.......

"Johanna" <johanna@homechoice.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a Shuttle with an FB61 mainboard.
> I just bought 1 GB of new RAM for the free slot. The RAM is of the make
> "simtec" and it is PC2700 compliant DDR SD RAM. This should be ok as per
> the mainboard manual... However when this RAM is plugged in, the machine
> doesn't boot! The monitor remains black and I can see that the machine is
> trying, but isn't able to boot...
> Please could someone explain what is going on?
>
> I checked the stamp my existing RAM which works... this is Samsung... This
> is the site that I bought it from http://www.aria.co.uk/Products.asp
> Grateful for any advise on what to do!
>
> Regards
> Johanna

Johanna

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

That's awful! I am really angry! It cost me well over £100 and adheres
to what the mother board manual recommends!

I called them today, and instead of just saying that I should send it
back for a refund, they insisted that I generate a return code on their
website...! When I have got this, I can return it...

I am not one to back off easily though, will let you know!

Conor wrote:
> In article <41929c99$1@news1.homechoice.co.uk>, Johanna says...
>
>>Hi Conor,
>>Did you get a refund from Aria?
>>I thought I'd simply send it back and exchange it.. But based on what
>>you are saying it seems that I may be best returning it and buying
>>elsewhere..
>

> Can't get a refund because it does work. Its just incompatible with 80%
> of the PCs I've tried it on but its up to the buyer to ensure it is
> compatible.

Johanna

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Oh, typical! I got your advise too late! Stopped by PC World and picked
up 512 as opposed to 1 gb of ram. It was the best they stocked, but not
any of the makes you mentioned. Haven't tested it yet.
Jo