Weird problem: no post on an AN35/N ultra

Folks:

I'll try to make this post short.

Bought an AN35N Ultra mobo and an AMD XP mobile 2500+ to build a cheap
machine. Cooled it with a Speeze Whisper Rock II.

Machine ran fine stock. I then started to overclock. Overclocked to
200x12. No problem. However, with the CPU Burn-in program, the CPU
temps got to 50C and climbing. Stopped the procedure. Still worked
fine after that for all of my apps.

I got cute and decided to buy a CPU shim and Arctic Silver. I then
"lapped" the Whisper Rock heatsink surface (the surface that makes
contact with the CPU) with wet sandpaper and polishing compound to
remove machining marks on the heatsink. Put the shim on (making sure
the shim did not touch ANY exposed smd's) and used some Arctic Silver
(probably too much). Buttoned everything up and the motherboard would
not POST.

Great. I took off the shim, took off excess Arctic Silver, and it
still would not POST. Thought I had ruined the CPU (by handling it
too much) and bought another XP mobile chip. Kept the shim off,
installed, but no POST.

Finally, I cleared the CMOS (per instructions from AN35N manual) but
no POST.

The mobo accesses the drives and the mobo can be turned off by the
power button, but no POST. Tried different PSU, but no cigar.

What do you think (other than I am a bonehead)?

Rob

Robert Winder wrote:
> No, the overheat LED is not on. Only the green light is on.

Of course you've reseated your video card and RAM? I guess
what they say is to try the board on the bench with just the video
card and one stick of RAM. I've seen a bent pin on a monitor
cable (twice) and a pin on the ATX power connector pushed out,
but since you tried another PS, probably not that. I know that you
can boot with the <ins> key pressed, but I'm sure resetting the
CMOS had the same effect. You did disconnect power when
you reset the CMOS, I trust. I usually unplug it or turn (off the
switch) and hit the power button, which seems to discharge the
residual stored power before resetting the CMOS.

If worse comes to worst, you can always put it on eBay and
Frank will buy it for his dog or something...

Fishface wrote:
> Robert Winder wrote:
>
>>No, the overheat LED is not on. Only the green light is on.
>

> Of course you've reseated your video card and RAM? I guess
> what they say is to try the board on the bench with just the video
> card and one stick of RAM. I've seen a bent pin on a monitor
> cable (twice) and a pin on the ATX power connector pushed out,
> but since you tried another PS, probably not that. I know that you
> can boot with the <ins> key pressed, but I'm sure resetting the
> CMOS had the same effect. You did disconnect power when
> you reset the CMOS, I trust. I usually unplug it or turn (off the
> switch) and hit the power button, which seems to discharge the
> residual stored power before resetting the CMOS.
>
> If worse comes to worst, you can always put it on eBay and
> Frank will buy it for his dog or something...

ROTF! LMAO! Darn! Got no dog :-(

--
FRH

On 11/14/2004 12:29:48 PM, "Frank v7.0" wrote:
>Fishface wrote:
>> Robert Winder wrote:
>>
>>>No, the overheat LED is not on. Only the green light is on.
>>

>> Of course you've reseated your video card and RAM? I guess
>> what they say is to try the board on the bench with just the video
>> card and one stick of RAM. I've seen a bent pin on a monitor
>> cable (twice) and a pin on the ATX power connector pushed out,
>> but since you tried another PS, probably not that. I know that you
>> can boot with the <ins> key pressed, but I'm sure resetting the
>> CMOS had the same effect. You did disconnect power when
>> you reset the CMOS, I trust. I usually unplug it or turn (off the
>> switch) and hit the power button, which seems to discharge the
>> residual stored power before resetting the CMOS.
>>
>> If worse comes to worst, you can always put it on eBay and
>> Frank will buy it for his dog or something...
>>

>ROTF! LMAO! Darn! Got no dog :-(
>
>--
>FRH

Kristi

--
Shuttle AN35N Ultra, XP2600Bart, 768mb, GeF4Ti4200, WinXP Pro SP2
* * *