Printer sharing problem

luap

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005

My setup: wireless router connected to cable modem. Laptop connected to
router via wireless PCMCIA card adapter. Desktop connected to router via
USB wireless adapter.
I run Zonealarm on both PC's.
I now want to use the printer connected to the desktop, from my laptop.
Can this be done? So far I am getting nowhere.
Thanks for any help.
Lup

Malke

Luap wrote:

> My setup: wireless router connected to cable modem. Laptop connected
> to router via wireless PCMCIA card adapter. Desktop connected to
> router via USB wireless adapter.
> I run Zonealarm on both PC's.
> I now want to use the printer connected to the desktop, from my
> laptop. Can this be done? So far I am getting nowhere.
> Thanks for any help.
> Lup

Of course. The fact that the network is wireless is irrelevant. Share
the printer on the desktop. Since you didn't say what operating systems
are involved, I'll give you links explaining sharing. Set ZoneAlarm to
allow the lan as trusted. You do this on the Zones tab, I believe.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
(Pro)
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/troubleshoot_index.htm

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

luap

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005

Malke wrote:
> Luap wrote:
>

>>My setup: wireless router connected to cable modem. Laptop connected
>>to router via wireless PCMCIA card adapter. Desktop connected to
>>router via USB wireless adapter.
>>I run Zonealarm on both PC's.
>>I now want to use the printer connected to the desktop, from my
>>laptop. Can this be done? So far I am getting nowhere.
>>Thanks for any help.
>>Lup
>

> Of course. The fact that the network is wireless is irrelevant. Share
> the printer on the desktop. Since you didn't say what operating systems
> are involved, I'll give you links explaining sharing. Set ZoneAlarm to
> allow the lan as trusted. You do this on the Zones tab, I believe.
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm
> (Pro)
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/troubleshoot_index.htm
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/howto/
> http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
>
> Malke

Thanks.
Having thought about it, this is almost identical to a wired network I
had before. The OS is/are XP.
Luap

luap

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005

Malke wrote:
> Luap wrote:
>

>>My setup: wireless router connected to cable modem. Laptop connected
>>to router via wireless PCMCIA card adapter. Desktop connected to
>>router via USB wireless adapter.
>>I run Zonealarm on both PC's.
>>I now want to use the printer connected to the desktop, from my
>>laptop. Can this be done? So far I am getting nowhere.
>>Thanks for any help.
>>Lup
>

> Of course. The fact that the network is wireless is irrelevant. Share
> the printer on the desktop. Since you didn't say what operating systems
> are involved, I'll give you links explaining sharing. Set ZoneAlarm to
> allow the lan as trusted. You do this on the Zones tab, I believe.
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm
> (Pro)
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/troubleshoot_index.htm
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/howto/
> http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
>
> Malke

The update is that I got the printer to work! However, one thing
concerns me - the network is now in the "trusted zone". I would ideaaly
like to have both PC's in the internet zone (hidden) with just the
printer in the trusted zone. Can anyone help me achieve this with
Zonealarm. I believe it's possible using the expert rules but I can't
work it out..
Thnx
Lua.

PS. On another matter - I've set up the router (D-Link Airplus Xtreme)
with WEP (my network adapters don't support WPA) but I notice there are
a lot of other settings that can be tweaked. For example, the firewall
settings. I'd be grateful if anyone has advice on improvements I can
make to my network security via the router. Cheers.

Malke

Luap wrote:

> The update is that I got the printer to work! However, one thing
> concerns me - the network is now in the "trusted zone". I would
> ideaaly like to have both PC's in the internet zone (hidden) with just
> the printer in the trusted zone. Can anyone help me achieve this with
> Zonealarm. I believe it's possible using the expert rules but I can't
> work it out..

Excellent. However, you want your local area network to be in the
Trusted Zone. If you only want to share the printer, then don't make
any shares on the other computers.

> PS. On another matter - I've set up the router (D-Link Airplus Xtreme)
> with WEP (my network adapters don't support WPA) but I notice there
> are a lot of other settings that can be tweaked. For example, the
> firewall settings. I'd be grateful if anyone has advice on
> improvements I can make to my network security via the router. Cheers.

Wireless - Basic Configuration -

Malke
--

Malke wrote:
> Luap wrote:
>

>>The update is that I got the printer to work! However, one thing
>>concerns me - the network is now in the "trusted zone". I would
>>ideaaly like to have both PC's in the internet zone (hidden) with just
>>the printer in the trusted zone. Can anyone help me achieve this with
>>Zonealarm. I believe it's possible using the expert rules but I can't
>>work it out..
>

> Excellent. However, you want your local area network to be in the
> Trusted Zone. If you only want to share the printer, then don't make
> any shares on the other computers.

I only seem to have one network - the two PC's and the router. Are you
saying I should have configured some other way ie. The PC's connection
to the router in the Internet zone and the connection between computers
in a Trusted zone?
Lua

Malke

Luap wrote:

> Malke wrote:
>> Luap wrote:
>>

>>>The update is that I got the printer to work! However, one thing
>>>concerns me - the network is now in the "trusted zone". I would
>>>ideaaly like to have both PC's in the internet zone (hidden) with
>>>just the printer in the trusted zone. Can anyone help me achieve this
>>>with Zonealarm. I believe it's possible using the expert rules but I
>>>can't work it out..
>>

>> Excellent. However, you want your local area network to be in the
>> Trusted Zone. If you only want to share the printer, then don't make
>> any shares on the other computers.
>
> I only seem to have one network - the two PC's and the router. Are you
> saying I should have configured some other way ie. The PC's connection
> to the router in the Internet zone and the connection between
> computers in a Trusted zone?
> Lua

You only have one network. In ZoneAlarm, you set the Local Area Network
(the two pcs and the router - which is the gateway ) as Trusted.
Without knowing the router brand I can't be specific, but you want to
enter an IP range for the lan. It will be something like
192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. The connection to the Internet is protected
by the ZoneAlarm firewall.

Malke