Shuttle AN35N Ultra + AIW 9800 Pro problems

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
November 13, 2004 8:33:33 PM

I just put together a new system:
Shuttle AN35N Ultra (NVIDIA nForce 2 chipset)
AMD XP 2100+
AIW 9800 Pro
Antec 400w PS

I installed Windows XP. Installed Windows XP SP1a. Installed all the
critical updates for Windows XP from the Microsoft site. Installed
the latest motherboard chipset drivers. Installed Directx 9.0c.
Thought I was good to go. I installed the latest ATI Catalyst drivers
(wxp-w2k-ccc-8-062-040929a-018115c). Rebooted and got a blue screen
that went away too fast to read and my machine rebooted. Windows
started with the "windows failed to boot last time, do you want to
start in safe mode". So I did. For the last couple of hours I have
removed/installed the drivers to no avail. Now I get the Windows is
just sits there. I have to power off/on to get back to the "safe mode
startup" screen. I have tried removing the drivers and using Driver
Cleaner to clean things up. Even removed ATI references from the
registry. Still no dice. The machine starts to load windows, but
dies before the Windows logon is displayed.
Can anyone help me. I was so excited to get this new Video card, but
am just frustrated now.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 9:05:22 PM

Could it be a defective RAM module?
If you have two in there, just try one of them.
Did you install SP2 also? I have heard that others have had some problems
with SP2.
Is the BIOS set up correctly for your CPU and RAM?
Could you try another video card?

Maybe a complete reformat of the hard drive and start all over again?

just thinking out loud. ;-)
later,
dave

!