All-In-Wonder Graphics card problem

Johanna

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Hi,
I have a Shuttle with the FB61 mainboard.
I just bought a ATI all-in-wonder 9800 graphics card from
Overclockers.co.uk (their own brand one @ £98.00 excl. VAT)

I haven't got a lot of experience with home building, but I thought that
adding a graphics card was within my capabilities. There were no
comprehensive instructions for what to do with the card, unfortunately.

Here is what I did:
------------------------
I ran the installation CD and I believe I have installed the drivers for
the card.

Instructions said remove existing drivers - unfortunately I could not
find a way of uninstalling these (could find no option in "Add Remove
software", or anything in the program menu.)

I plugged the card in the AGP slit. Could not find a free power
connector on the mainboard, but a buch of open-ended connectors were
coming out of the power supply. The power connector from the card
fitted, so I used one of these. it appears to be working, because the
fan on the card is working.

However when I boot-up the machine with the card connected, the monitor
remains black. I can hear the sounds of Windows XP starting, but I don't
see anything. Tried removing the card a few times and putting it back
in, no change.

I downloaded the latest drivers ( I think) from this page:
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=11&submit.y=5&submit=GO%21
When running the install file I get a msg saying that the correct
hardware or software cannot be found.
---
What could be going on? I can't think of anything else to try!

Regards
Jo

Elizabeth

Jeff, (or anyone!)
Followed your instructions (set AGP as default and attempted turning off
the VGA.) Still having problems. I can only boot in VGA mode with this
card. Getting a runtime error when attempting to run the ATi Client
Centre... Keep on trying to re-install drivers and reboot. I don't
understand what's going on. I really think I am doing everything right
now. Cannot understand why I am getting the error message and why my
monitor keeps being "out of range" whatever I do...
Any tips appreciated!
Jo

Johanna wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a Shuttle with the FB61 mainboard.
> I just bought a ATI all-in-wonder 9800 graphics card from
> Overclockers.co.uk (their own brand one @ £98.00 excl. VAT)
>
> I haven't got a lot of experience with home building, but I thought that
> adding a graphics card was within my capabilities. There were no
> comprehensive instructions for what to do with the card, unfortunately.
>
> Here is what I did:
> ------------------------
> I ran the installation CD and I believe I have installed the drivers for
> the card.
>
> Instructions said remove existing drivers - unfortunately I could not
> find a way of uninstalling these (could find no option in "Add Remove
> software", or anything in the program menu.)
>
> I plugged the card in the AGP slit. Could not find a free power
> connector on the mainboard, but a buch of open-ended connectors were
> coming out of the power supply. The power connector from the card
> fitted, so I used one of these. it appears to be working, because the
> fan on the card is working.
>
> However when I boot-up the machine with the card connected, the monitor
> remains black. I can hear the sounds of Windows XP starting, but I don't
> see anything. Tried removing the card a few times and putting it back
> in, no change.
>
> I downloaded the latest drivers ( I think) from this page:
> http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=11&submit.y=5&submit=GO%21
>
> When running the install file I get a msg saying that the correct
> hardware or software cannot be found.
> ---
> What could be going on? I can't think of anything else to try!
>
> Regards
> Jo

>Followed your instructions (set AGP as default and attempted turning off
>the VGA.) Still having problems. I can only boot in VGA mode with this
>card. Getting a runtime error when attempting to run the ATi Client
>Centre... Keep on trying to re-install drivers and reboot. I don't
>understand what's going on. I really think I am doing everything right
>now. Cannot understand why I am getting the error message and why my
>monitor keeps being "out of range" whatever I do...
>Any tips appreciated!

Back up a bit.
Remove the ATI card.
Boot inot BIOS and reset your system to use the onboard display.
Reboot using the "onboard graphics" port.
Remove your ATIdrivers and software. Here's how:
http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1222.aspx
If these drivers and or software are not found, you did not
successfully install them.
Install JAVA runtime. Here's how:
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Reinstall your ATI card.
Boot into BIOS and turn the "onboard graphics" off and set your
computer to use the AGP slot.
Reboot. (VGA mode only at this point)
Download and install the ATI software and drivers. Here's how:
http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html
Have a nice weekend.
DD
"It's easy when you know how..."