MS Fingerprint reader information storage.

a b G Storage
April 10, 2005 2:37:38 PM

Where does the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader with Digital Persona store the
login information? I would like to move my reader to another computer. Is
it possible to move the login information or will I have to reprogram
everything?

Thanks
Dave
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 28, 2005 2:09:15 PM

I have your same problem...
I would like to backup the information stored but i don't know where do they
are...
However i think i'll backup the entire folder of digital persona.
Microsoft would have had to think to it!
I'm really in anger moreover because i contacted ms support getting no
solution still...
bye

"David Sack" <dsacknospam@wp-int.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:o RU%23usdPFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Where does the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader with Digital Persona store
> the login information? I would like to move my reader to another
> computer. Is it possible to move the login information or will I have to
> reprogram everything?
>
> Thanks
> Dave

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 1, 2005 11:02:00 AM

"David Sack" <dsacknospam@wp-int.com> wrote in message
news:o RU%23usdPFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Where does the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader with Digital Persona store
> the login information? I would like to move my reader to another
> computer. Is it possible to move the login information or will I have to
> reprogram everything?
>
> Thanks
> Dave

I hope you are aware that Microsoft does not recommend the fingerprint
reader to secure your computer? I was at an Intel event where Microsoft was
demonstrating the fingerprint reader. It is not supported for logging on to
domains. The Microsoft rep told me it was a convenience device for home
users. Read the last paragraph of the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/feat...

Kerry
a b G Storage
May 1, 2005 1:43:02 PM

I would agree. There should be some way to back it up. Haven't been able
to find any more information on it.

Dave

"Francesco P. S." <fp.santi@tin.it> wrote in message
>I have your same problem...
> I would like to backup the information stored but i don't know where do
> they are...
> However i think i'll backup the entire folder of digital persona.
> Microsoft would have had to think to it!
> I'm really in anger moreover because i contacted ms support getting no
> solution still...
> bye
>

> "David Sack" <dsacknospam@wp-int.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:o RU%23usdPFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Where does the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader with Digital Persona store
>> the login information? I would like to move my reader to another
>> computer. Is it possible to move the login information or will I have to
>> reprogram everything?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dave

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 1, 2005 5:54:12 PM

There is a DigialPersona directory located in Documents and settings/{username}/Application Data/.
In here are files that contain the webpage information for each saved password. I do not know if the
passwords are stored with the templates. There is 1 dpm file for for each saved password. You can
use the shortcut file to tell which file goes with which web page.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

"David Sack" <dsacknospam@wp-int.com> wrote in message news:o zAqvPlTFHA.3344@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I would agree. There should be some way to back it up. Haven't been able to find any more
> information on it.
>
> Dave
>
> "Francesco P. S." <fp.santi@tin.it> wrote in message news:egInPm8SFHA.2336@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>I have your same problem...
>> I would like to backup the information stored but i don't know where do they are...
>> However i think i'll backup the entire folder of digital persona.
>> Microsoft would have had to think to it!
>> I'm really in anger moreover because i contacted ms support getting no solution still...
>> bye
>>

>> "David Sack" <dsacknospam@wp-int.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:o RU%23usdPFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> Where does the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader with Digital Persona store the login information?
>>> I would like to move my reader to another computer. Is it possible to move the login
>>> information or will I have to reprogram everything?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Dave

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 8, 2005 12:16:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I use it as a convienence device. I have way to many
passwords to remember and I'm getting older and my memory isn't what it used
to be. I believe Digital Persona does sell software that will allow access
to domains. But thats not what I wanted it for.

Thanks
Dave
"Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message
> "David Sack" <dsacknospam@wp-int.com> wrote in message
> news:o RU%23usdPFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Where does the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader with Digital Persona store
>> the login information? I would like to move my reader to another
>> computer. Is it possible to move the login information or will I have to
>> reprogram everything?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dave
>>

> I hope you are aware that Microsoft does not recommend the fingerprint
> reader to secure your computer? I was at an Intel event where Microsoft
> was demonstrating the fingerprint reader. It is not supported for logging
> on to domains. The Microsoft rep told me it was a convenience device for
> home users. Read the last paragraph of the following link:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/feat...
>
> Kerry

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 8, 2005 12:16:26 AM

> Thanks for the info. I use it as a convienence device. I have way to
> many passwords to remember and I'm getting older and my memory isn't what
> it used to be. I believe Digital Persona does sell software that will
> allow access to domains. But thats not what I wanted it for.
>
> Thanks
> Dave

Just wanted to be sure :-) I was called in to an office that was using it to
"secure" their accounting computers. I had some doubts about it which were
confirmed by the MS rep. I switched them to a card reader system.

Kerry

> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message
>> "David Sack" <dsacknospam@wp-int.com> wrote in message
>> news:o RU%23usdPFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> Where does the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader with Digital Persona store
>>> the login information? I would like to move my reader to another
>>> computer. Is it possible to move the login information or will I have
>>> to reprogram everything?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Dave
>>>

>> I hope you are aware that Microsoft does not recommend the fingerprint
>> reader to secure your computer? I was at an Intel event where Microsoft
>> was demonstrating the fingerprint reader. It is not supported for logging
>> on to domains. The Microsoft rep told me it was a convenience device for
>> home users. Read the last paragraph of the following link:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/feat...
>>
>> Kerry

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 8, 2005 12:18:51 AM

Thanks. I may and try to see what happens if I move the device to another
computer and then copy the files to it.

Thanks
Dave
"David Vair" <dvair@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> There is a DigialPersona directory located in Documents and
> settings/{username}/Application Data/.
> In here are files that contain the webpage information for each saved
> password. I do not know if the passwords are stored with the templates.
> There is 1 dpm file for for each saved password. You can use the shortcut
> file to tell which file goes with which web page.
> --
> Dave Vair
> CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
> Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)
>
> "David Sack" <dsacknospam@wp-int.com> wrote in message
> news:o zAqvPlTFHA.3344@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> I would agree. There should be some way to back it up. Haven't been
>> able to find any more information on it.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> "Francesco P. S." <fp.santi@tin.it> wrote in message
>>>I have your same problem...
>>> I would like to backup the information stored but i don't know where do
>>> they are...
>>> However i think i'll backup the entire folder of digital persona.
>>> Microsoft would have had to think to it!
>>> I'm really in anger moreover because i contacted ms support getting no
>>> solution still...
>>> bye
>>>

>>> "David Sack" <dsacknospam@wp-int.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> news:o RU%23usdPFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 13, 2005 5:28:37 PM

I appreciate it. One never knows.

> "David Sack" <dsacknospam@wp-int.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the info. I use it as a convienence device. I have way to
>> many passwords to remember and I'm getting older and my memory isn't what
>> it used to be. I believe Digital Persona does sell software that will
>> allow access to domains. But thats not what I wanted it for.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dave
>
> Just wanted to be sure :-) I was called in to an office that was using it
> to "secure" their accounting computers. I had some doubts about it which
> were confirmed by the MS rep. I switched them to a card reader system.
>
> Kerry
>
>> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message
>>> "David Sack" <dsacknospam@wp-int.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o RU%23usdPFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

>>> I hope you are aware that Microsoft does not recommend the fingerprint
>>> reader to secure your computer? I was at an Intel event where Microsoft
>>> was demonstrating the fingerprint reader. It is not supported for
>>> logging on to domains. The Microsoft rep told me it was a convenience
>>> device for home users. Read the last paragraph of the following link:
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/feat...
>>>
>>> Kerry

Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 30, 2005 5:01:05 PM

Dave,

Unfortunately, there are absolutely NO DigialPersona files in my
C:/Documents and Settings/kenwitkin/Application Data Folder. I've looked
several times.

"David Vair" wrote:

> There is a DigialPersona directory located in Documents and settings/{username}/Application Data/.
> In here are files that contain the webpage information for each saved password. I do not know if the
> passwords are stored with the templates. There is 1 dpm file for for each saved password. You can
> use the shortcut file to tell which file goes with which web page.
> --
> Dave Vair
> CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
> Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)
>
> "David Sack" <dsacknospam@wp-int.com> wrote in message news:o zAqvPlTFHA.3344@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > I would agree. There should be some way to back it up. Haven't been able to find any more
> > information on it.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > "Francesco P. S." <fp.santi@tin.it> wrote in message news:egInPm8SFHA.2336@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >>I have your same problem...
> >> I would like to backup the information stored but i don't know where do they are...
> >> However i think i'll backup the entire folder of digital persona.
> >> Microsoft would have had to think to it!
> >> I'm really in anger moreover because i contacted ms support getting no solution still...
> >> bye
> >>

> >> "David Sack" <dsacknospam@wp-int.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> >> news:o RU%23usdPFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

June 2, 2011 3:30:24 AM

Hi all,
I carefully backed up all the dpm files from the old hard disk to ensure
that I don't lose my passwords etc..when my laptop wouldn't boot up at all.

So after ensuring that my hard disk got all wiped out clean, got a re-install
of OS with same machine name, same LoginUsername and password, i placed all
the dpm files in the roaming\digitalpersona\ots\templates folder.

Now whenever I go to any old website, I could see that DigitalPersona
recongizes it as if it allows for the finger-print-authentication. But when I
swipe my finger, it brings up this dialog where it will prompt me for the
credentials displaying a set of blank boxes for the username and password
fields.

It seemed to me that for some reason DigitalPersona didn't "connect" my new
fingerprints to the old dpm files successfully. Can any one help with me to
bridge this disconnect ?

I would certainly appreciate if some one can help me fill this gap and get
this connection going with out having me to re-work on the credentials for
all my old sites/dialogs.

Thanks

VC
!