Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Keyboard stopped working

Hello,
My Microsoft wireless optical desktop keyboard suddenly stopped working, but
the mouse is working fine.

I noted that, if I put a general wired keyboard in my PS/2 port, it works
fine, and the keyboard section in the device manager shows 2 devices:
1. Standard 101/102-key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 keyboard
2. Microsoft USB dual Receiver Wireless Keyboard (Intellitype Pro) [Driver
5.20..., dated 6/3/2004]

I shutdown the comp, put in the PS/2 hanging from the wireless receiver in
the PS/2 port, the start the computer. Now the 2nd entry disappears, the
wireless keyboard is not working either. Only the mouse (wireless) is working.

I updated the driver to 5.2 but of no avail.

Thanks for any pointer.
-Samik

"Samik R" <Samik R@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> My Microsoft wireless optical desktop keyboard suddenly stopped working,
> but
> the mouse is working fine.
>
> I noted that, if I put a general wired keyboard in my PS/2 port, it works
> fine, and the keyboard section in the device manager shows 2 devices:
> 1. Standard 101/102-key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 keyboard
> 2. Microsoft USB dual Receiver Wireless Keyboard (Intellitype Pro) [Driver
> 5.20..., dated 6/3/2004]
>
> I shutdown the comp, put in the PS/2 hanging from the wireless receiver in
> the PS/2 port, the start the computer. Now the 2nd entry disappears, the
> wireless keyboard is not working either. Only the mouse (wireless) is
> working.
>
> I updated the driver to 5.2 but of no avail.

Did you try new batteries in the keyboard? My keyboard starting acting
wonky, and it "got better" with fresh batteries. My apologies if you already
tried that... My basic problem-solving approach starts with "Does it have
power?"

Thanks Warrick. Well, the batteries were fine. I had to uninstall and
reinstall the software in the right order: first software, then reset channel
on the receiver and then on the keyboard.
Things are weired no doubt, but it is working now.
-Samik