How do you stop online games from lagging

sirejoker88

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
How can i help or even stop lag on online games. I cant thing of anything to help.
(Please if you know how leave a comment)

evilgenius134

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
If you are experiencing network latency there are a few solutions.

Turn off all P2P, downlaods while playing, try with your firewall, AV off. Ensure the corrects ports in your router are forwarded. Contact your ISP and say you are experiencing poor quality network responsiveness and speeds, especially if they are below what you are paying for.

If you mean graphical latency, or low rendering speeds, you have to get a more powerful system. This may be as simple as getting a modern GPU or an entire system if it is old.

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

You lucky one !! ** :p
In my country there is nothing faster than 4 mb :(

Upload is bad for you, download is OK, but not particularly good. Ping is the big issue when it comes to online, and 59ms to a server close to you is flat out bad.

As for me, on an average day:
15ms ping
15Mbit down
2Mbit up

The three way war between Cablevision (Optimum), Time Warner, and Verison (FIOS) is REALLY ramping up speeds here in NY. :D

Syrocc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Most MMO's require 3-4mb of download and at least 512kb upload to work well. In your case, there are a few scenarios that can affect your speed ingame:

1.) ISP sucks, in that case, get another ISP or a better package
2.) ISP is ok, but you have software that is flooding and is taking up parts of your bandwidth (this can be caused by firewalls, antivirus software, or simply malware on your system)
3.) Your using a wireless router and it's poorly configured or your out of signal range. In this case, stick to the same room with the router, and check port forwarding, security settings, and disable the router firewall if it's activated.

This is my Wifi result atm:

Download Speed: 22906 kbps (2863.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3726 kbps (465.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 24 ms

I'm pretty far away from the router itself, I have medium signal strength.

On a cable connection, my download is somewhere between 80-90mb/s with a 6-7mb upload speed. In any case, I use my connections for working as well, so don't take it as a reference point, like I said, 3-4mb for download, and if you can, 1mb for upload is more than enough for any MMO out there.

Actually, that is the standard upload speed for TimeWarner Cable service.

The fastest upload speed available is 768 Kbps, but since I already pay an arm and a leg for standard cable HDTV and internet service ($120+) I don't wanna spend more for another 256 Kps.

E81XvaMn12X1P829

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Time Warner should really shape up, I get better speeds than those 512 - 768 Kbs on my mobile phone (7.6 Mbs down around 1.5 - 2 Mbs up)
I realize now that my wifi is pretty decent also, after reading the speeds in this post

What did miracles for me was shutting down Spotify, even though I'm paying them €5,- a month and running the service shouldn't interfere with my online games, but somehow it does, I haven't had any noticeable lag since I made it standard practice to shut Spotify down
Btw, any one who want to try this, you also will want to shut down Spotify Webhelper and everything else Spotify in Taskmanager under the "processes" tab
Good luck, hope it helps

madman1128

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
Hey can anyone help me I have some really bad lag in online games it used to be fine.
I get 11ms ping
30mbit download
2.1mbit upload
And it has nothing to do with my system as I have an fx8350, 16gb ram and an hd7970. So I can run single player games fine.
Anyone have any ideas ?
Thanks

GMAK24

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
Could be your internet service provider, ISP. Do the test at dslreports.com. Do quality line test. Found out if it's you're line. Call your isp and ask for repair.

It could also be your pc. You're running some download stuff in the background while playing?

Azizinum

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
game lag depends on many things , your internet speed/PC build/router and what region you picking in the game ,besides the antivirus software on your PC may cause delay issues , do seek for "tcp frequency fix" on google it may help boost your ping a little bit.
no need to mention to close the downloads/uploads while you're playing your game + check if your antivirus got a Game Mode do pick it up , good luck ;)

madman1128

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
I think I have found it guys, I have tested my internet on ping test and I'm getting a packet loss of 2% which I think is causing the issues.
I will have to contact my isp and see if they can help.
Cheers guys

My Ping is around 1,000ms the best I ever got it down to was 840ms, I have a Satellite internet connection which totally sucks for gaming :pfff: , congratulations that is some killer speeds you have! :)