Filesharing smackdown!

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
March 31, 2005 10:47:04 AM

Searched old posts, ran every wizard I could find, checked out other wireless
setup sites...no avail.

I've set up a wireless entwork with 2 laptops and a wireless router (Neither
is directly connected to the router). Both are in the same workgroup. I've
enabled Folder and File sharing on both. I can see the other computer (say
computer A) under "my network places" on computer B, but when I click to
expand I get a "unable to access, if the problem persists speak with the
network administrator..." box. I can't see the folders / drive that I've
shared anywhere (I'm assuming it would be under "My network places" or
somewhere in "My Computer" or even "My shared Documents" but so far, no
network love.

Any thoughts??

the Idiot

More about : filesharing smackdown

April 1, 2005 3:56:29 AM

"village idiot" <villageidiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Searched old posts, ran every wizard I could find, checked out other
> wireless
> setup sites...no avail.
>
> I've set up a wireless entwork with 2 laptops and a wireless router
> (Neither
> is directly connected to the router). Both are in the same workgroup.
> I've
> enabled Folder and File sharing on both. I can see the other computer
> (say
> computer A) under "my network places" on computer B, but when I click to
> expand I get a "unable to access, if the problem persists speak with the
> network administrator..." box. I can't see the folders / drive that I've
> shared anywhere (I'm assuming it would be under "My network places" or
> somewhere in "My Computer" or even "My shared Documents" but so far, no
> network love.
>
> Any thoughts??
>
> the Idiot

have you got the same useraccount/password combos defined on both machines?
that should do it.

george
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 1, 2005 11:59:07 AM

Good idea (but ultimately unsuccessful)I tried this last night without
success (I actually did have the same usernames (both as administrators) but
different passwords). Changed the password, still unable to share anything
but misery.

The error message I get says the path (to the other computer) is not
available.
could this be fixed by specifying an IP for both computers or can I leave
them to "find IP automatically"

the Idiot

"george" wrote:

> "village idiot" <villageidiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Searched old posts, ran every wizard I could find, checked out other
> > wireless
> > setup sites...no avail.
> >
> > I've set up a wireless entwork with 2 laptops and a wireless router
> > (Neither
> > is directly connected to the router). Both are in the same workgroup.
> > I've
> > enabled Folder and File sharing on both. I can see the other computer
> > (say
> > computer A) under "my network places" on computer B, but when I click to
> > expand I get a "unable to access, if the problem persists speak with the
> > network administrator..." box. I can't see the folders / drive that I've
> > shared anywhere (I'm assuming it would be under "My network places" or
> > somewhere in "My Computer" or even "My shared Documents" but so far, no
> > network love.
> >
> > Any thoughts??
> >
> > the Idiot
>

> have you got the same useraccount/password combos defined on both machines?
> that should do it.
>
> george

Related resources
April 1, 2005 11:01:37 PM

inline

> Good idea (but ultimately unsuccessful)I tried this last night without
> success (I actually did have the same usernames (both as administrators)
> but
> different passwords). Changed the password, still unable to share
> anything
> but misery.
>
> The error message I get says the path (to the other computer) is not
> available.
> could this be fixed by specifying an IP for both computers or can I leave
> them to "find IP automatically"
manually setting an IP address (in the same subnet!) for both systems is
never a bad idea, at least you'll always *know* who's who, but shouldn't
make that much difference.
If you leave it on automatic your DHCP solution should normally provide
correct addresses too.
Even without a DHCP solution, you'll still get valid addresses to
communicate between the two, both in the 169.254.x.y range

What you could additionally try is go into Windows Explorer (on both),
Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck the 'Simple File Sharing' at the
bottom of the list.
That way the connection to the other machine will be made using the
account/password combo you are working with on the first.

hth

george

> the Idiot
>
> "george" wrote:
>

>> "village idiot" <villageidiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Searched old posts, ran every wizard I could find, checked out other
>> > wireless
>> > setup sites...no avail.
>> >
>> > I've set up a wireless entwork with 2 laptops and a wireless router
>> > (Neither
>> > is directly connected to the router). Both are in the same workgroup.
>> > I've
>> > enabled Folder and File sharing on both. I can see the other computer
>> > (say
>> > computer A) under "my network places" on computer B, but when I click
>> > expand I get a "unable to access, if the problem persists speak with
>> > the
>> > network administrator..." box. I can't see the folders / drive that
>> > I've
>> > shared anywhere (I'm assuming it would be under "My network places" or
>> > somewhere in "My Computer" or even "My shared Documents" but so far, no
>> > network love.
>> >
>> > Any thoughts??
>> >
>> > the Idiot
>>

>> have you got the same useraccount/password combos defined on both
>> machines?
>> that should do it.
>>
>> george

April 2, 2005 7:24:41 PM

george wrote:

> What you could additionally try is go into Windows Explorer (on both),
> Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck the 'Simple File Sharing' at the
> bottom of the list.

What is this "simple file sharing" supposed to achieve?
Lua
April 2, 2005 7:24:42 PM

Luap wrote:

> george wrote:
>

>> What you could additionally try is go into Windows Explorer (on
>> both), Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck the 'Simple File
>> Sharing' at the bottom of the list.
>

> What is this "simple file sharing" supposed to achieve?
> Lua

Here is an MS article about simple sharing:

http://tinyurl.com/362g6

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Malke wrote:
> Luap wrote:
>

>>george wrote:
>>

>>>What you could additionally try is go into Windows Explorer (on
>>>both), Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck the 'Simple File
>>>Sharing' at the bottom of the list.
>>

>>What is this "simple file sharing" supposed to achieve?
>>Lua
>

> Here is an MS article about simple sharing:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/362g6
>
> Malke

Hi Malke.
While I find your help very kind, the links you post have so far failed
to get me no further than "Googling". Sure, I expect to do a lot of my
own leg work but my idea of asking here is to cutdown said legwork.
This last link just had me running around in circles.
Regards,
Lua
April 3, 2005 1:09:24 AM

Luap wrote:

> Hi Malke.
> While I find your help very kind, the links you post have so far
> failed to get me no further than "Googling". Sure, I expect to do a
> lot of my own leg work but my idea of asking here is to cutdown said
> legwork. This last link just had me running around in circles.
> Regards,
> Lua

I can't imagine why. You asked what Simple Sharing was and I gave you a
link to a Microsoft article describing Simple Sharing. I'm not sure
what else you want to know. For more in-depth information about file
sharing in Windows, here are more links which explain the whole
process.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/fileshar... (Home)
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_fileshar...
(Pro)

If you have more specific questions, then ask them.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com
In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol
The world is diminished without him.
April 3, 2005 2:39:39 PM

Malke wrote:
> Luap wrote:
>

>>george wrote:
>>

>>>What you could additionally try is go into Windows Explorer (on
>>>both), Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck the 'Simple File
>>>Sharing' at the bottom of the list.
>>

>>What is this "simple file sharing" supposed to achieve?
>>Lua
>

> Here is an MS article about simple sharing:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/362g6
>
> Malke

The tiny URL took me to:
http://www.microsoft.com/library/shared/deeptree/bot/bo...

which doesn't obviously have anything about simple file sharing.

Lua
April 3, 2005 7:25:10 PM

"Luap" <lulu@luapInc.com> wrote in message news:424fba80$1_3@x-privat.org...
> Malke wrote:
>> Luap wrote:

>>>What is this "simple file sharing" supposed to achieve?
>>>Lua
>>

>> Here is an MS article about simple sharing:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/362g6
>>
>> Malke
>
> The tiny URL took me to:
> http://www.microsoft.com/library/shared/deeptree/bot/bo...
>
> which doesn't obviously have anything about simple file sharing.
>
> Lua

Not to be too obnoxious, but I'm not sure how you use your system.

When I click on the link provided here is the first information provided on
the page it takes me to:

Simple Sharing and ForceGuest
When a Windows XP Professional-based computer is not joined to a domain, the
simple sharing model is fundamentally different than the model used in
previous versions of Windows. By default, all users logging on to such
computers over the network are forced to use the Guest account; this is
called ForceGuest.

</snip>

How does that *NOT* have anything to do with simple file sharing?

george
April 3, 2005 7:25:11 PM

george wrote:
> "Luap" <lulu@luapInc.com> wrote in message news:424fba80$1_3@x-privat.org...
>
>>Malke wrote:

>>>Here is an MS article about simple sharing:
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/362g6
>>>
>>>Malke
>>
>>The tiny URL took me to:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/library/shared/deeptree/bot/bo...
>>
>>which doesn't obviously have anything about simple file sharing.
>>
>>Lua
>

> Not to be too obnoxious, but I'm not sure how you use your system.
>
> When I click on the link provided here is the first information provided on
> the page it takes me to:
>
> Simple Sharing and ForceGuest
> When a Windows XP Professional-based computer is not joined to a domain, the
> simple sharing model is fundamentally different than the model used in
> previous versions of Windows. By default, all users logging on to such
> computers over the network are forced to use the Guest account; this is
> called ForceGuest.
>
> </snip>
>
> How does that *NOT* have anything to do with simple file sharing?
>

> george

Hi George.
I didn't get this info when I clicked the link. I get a page that looks
like this:

Windows XP Professional Resource Kit
Introduction
Part I Deployment
Part I Deployment
Part II Desktop Management
Part II Desktop Management
Part III Security
Part III Security
Part IV Networking
Part IV Networking
Part V Interoperability
Part V Interoperability
Part VI System Troubleshooting
Part VI System Troubleshooting
Part VII Appendices
Part VII Appendices
Glossary

Now without being too rude back, what has that got to do with simple
filesharing?

lua
April 3, 2005 7:25:12 PM

Luap wrote:
> george wrote:
>
>> "Luap" <lulu@luapInc.com> wrote in message

>>> The tiny URL took me to:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/library/shared/deeptree/bot/bo...
>>>

>>> which doesn't obviously have anything about simple file sharing.
>>>
>>> Lua
>>

>> Not to be too obnoxious, but I'm not sure how you use your system.
>>
>> When I click on the link provided here is the first information
>> provided on the page it takes me to:
>>
>> Simple Sharing and ForceGuest
>> When a Windows XP Professional-based computer is not joined to a
>> domain, the simple sharing model is fundamentally different than the
>> model used in previous versions of Windows. By default, all users
>> logging on to such computers over the network are forced to use the
>> Guest account; this is called ForceGuest.
>>
>> </snip>
>>
>> How does that *NOT* have anything to do with simple file sharing?
>>

>> george
>

> Hi George.
> I didn't get this info when I clicked the link. I get a page that looks
> like this:
>
> Windows XP Professional Resource Kit
> Introduction
> Part I Deployment
> Part I Deployment
> Part II Desktop Management
> Part II Desktop Management
> Part III Security
> Part III Security
> Part IV Networking
> Part IV Networking
> Part V Interoperability
> Part V Interoperability
> Part VI System Troubleshooting
> Part VI System Troubleshooting
> Part VII Appendices
> Part VII Appendices
> Glossary
>

> Now without being too rude back, what has that got to do with simple
> filesharing?
>
> lua

And I have just tried IE and get the same.
April 3, 2005 7:25:12 PM

Luap wrote:
> george wrote:
>
>> "Luap" <lulu@luapInc.com> wrote in message

>>> The tiny URL took me to:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/library/shared/deeptree/bot/bo...
>>>

>>> which doesn't obviously have anything about simple file sharing.
>>>
>>> Lua
>>

>> Not to be too obnoxious, but I'm not sure how you use your system.
>>
>> When I click on the link provided here is the first information
>> provided on the page it takes me to:
>>
>> Simple Sharing and ForceGuest
>> When a Windows XP Professional-based computer is not joined to a
>> domain, the simple sharing model is fundamentally different than the
>> model used in previous versions of Windows. By default, all users
>> logging on to such computers over the network are forced to use the
>> Guest account; this is called ForceGuest.
>>
>> </snip>
>>
>> How does that *NOT* have anything to do with simple file sharing?
>>

>> george
>

> Hi George.
> I didn't get this info when I clicked the link. I get a page that looks
> like this:
>
> Windows XP Professional Resource Kit
> Introduction
> Part I Deployment
> Part I Deployment
> Part II Desktop Management
> Part II Desktop Management
> Part III Security
> Part III Security
> Part IV Networking
> Part IV Networking
> Part V Interoperability
> Part V Interoperability
> Part VI System Troubleshooting
> Part VI System Troubleshooting
> Part VII Appendices
> Part VII Appendices
> Glossary
>

> Now without being too rude back, what has that got to do with simple
> filesharing?
>
> lua

The above are links - and I get the same page in both IE and Firefox.
April 3, 2005 8:24:24 PM

"Luap" <lulu@luapInc.com> wrote in message news:424ff803_2@x-privat.org...
> Luap wrote:
>> george wrote:
>>
>>> "Luap" <lulu@luapInc.com> wrote in message

>>> Not to be too obnoxious, but I'm not sure how you use your system.
>>>
>>> When I click on the link provided here is the first information provided
>>> on the page it takes me to:
>>>
>>> Simple Sharing and ForceGuest
>>> When a Windows XP Professional-based computer is not joined to a domain,
>>> the simple sharing model is fundamentally different than the model used
>>> in previous versions of Windows. By default, all users logging on to
>>> such computers over the network are forced to use the Guest account;
>>> this is called ForceGuest.
>>>
>>> </snip>
>>>
>>> How does that *NOT* have anything to do with simple file sharing?
>>>

>>> george
>>

>> Hi George.
>> I didn't get this info when I clicked the link. I get a page that looks
>> like this:
>>
>> Windows XP Professional Resource Kit
>> Introduction
>> Part I Deployment
>> Part I Deployment
>> Part II Desktop Management
>> Part II Desktop Management
>> Part III Security
>> Part III Security
>> Part IV Networking
>> Part IV Networking
>> Part V Interoperability
>> Part V Interoperability
>> Part VI System Troubleshooting
>> Part VI System Troubleshooting
>> Part VII Appendices
>> Part VII Appendices
>> Glossary
>>

>> Now without being too rude back, what has that got to do with simple
>> filesharing?
>>
>> lua
>
> The above are links - and I get the same page in both IE and Firefox.

OK.

Then try this one. It is the actual link 'behind' tinyurl and will certainly
wrap.

hope you get there now..

george
April 4, 2005 4:40:25 PM

george wrote:
> "Luap" <lulu@luapInc.com> wrote in message news:424ff803_2@x-privat.org...
>
>>Luap wrote:

>>>Hi George.
>>>I didn't get this info when I clicked the link. I get a page that looks
>>>like this:
>>>
>>>Windows XP Professional Resource Kit
>>>Introduction
>>>Part I Deployment
>>>Part I Deployment
>>>Part II Desktop Management
>>>Part II Desktop Management
>>>Part III Security
>>>Part III Security
>>>Part IV Networking
>>>Part IV Networking
>>>Part V Interoperability
>>>Part V Interoperability
>>>Part VI System Troubleshooting
>>>Part VI System Troubleshooting
>>>Part VII Appendices
>>>Part VII Appendices
>>>Glossary
>>>

>>>Now without being too rude back, what has that got to do with simple
>>>filesharing?
>>>
>>>lua
>>
>>The above are links - and I get the same page in both IE and Firefox.
>

> OK.
>
> Then try this one. It is the actual link 'behind' tinyurl and will certainly
> wrap.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
>
> hope you get there now..
>
> george

Thanks, I got it (I had to turn my proxy off). Before I was getting to
this URL:
http://www.microsoft.com/library/shared/deeptree/bot/bo...,
which as you will see, is different from the one I clicked on/pasted.
Lua
!