newbie

I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have any
additional fans beyond this.

I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.

Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

Newbie

Dust is not generated by the computer.. it is collected by the computer..
locate the source of the dust.. tops of doors and picture frames are a good
start..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>any additional fans beyond this.
>
> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

newbie

So there's no special fans or tools I can install in my computer to cut some
of the buildup?

In article <usVnpxjPFHA.1088@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
Newbie <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>So there's no special fans or tools I can install in my computer to cut some
>of the buildup?
>
>"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Newbie
>>
>> Dust is not generated by the computer.. it is collected by the computer..
>> locate the source of the dust.. tops of doors and picture frames are a
>> good start..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>>>any additional fans beyond this.
>>>
>>> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

I buy a fiberglass air conditioner filter and cut squares out of it
that match the INTAKE openings and use grey tape to stick it
place. Cover the biggest of the holes on the from panel with the same
tape. (this mess is hidden by the pop-off plastic panel. Remember to
change the filters once in a while.

Every time you open up the system use a can of compressed air to blow
the dust out of all the fans, including the PSU. Don't use a vacuum
cleaner.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Newbie

Assuming that your fans blow 'out', filters over the fans will be of little
value.. dust will enter the vents behind the front panel and through the
small gaps between optical and diskette drives and the case.. dust being
pulled through optical drives and diskette drives is one of the reasons that
these units fail prematurely.. your best bet is to keep the atmosphere in
the room as dust free as possible..

--

> So there's no special fans or tools I can install in my computer to cut
> some of the buildup?
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Newbie
>>
>> Dust is not generated by the computer.. it is collected by the computer..
>> locate the source of the dust.. tops of doors and picture frames are a
>> good start..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>>>any additional fans beyond this.
>>>
>>> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

About every 6 months or so, I use the following to blow out my cases:
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=114+0570&dept=&search=&child=

You don't need to use the concentrator, it's fairly powerful and will blow
out fans and cases without leaving any residue.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>any additional fans beyond this.
>
> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

newbie

This is great. I take it use blow out the dust that resides on CPU coolers
and mobo's and other hard to get places, right?

> About every 6 months or so, I use the following to blow out my cases:
> http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=114+0570&dept=&search=&child=
>
> You don't need to use the concentrator, it's fairly powerful and will blow
> out fans and cases without leaving any residue.
>
> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>>any additional fans beyond this.
>>
>> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

The blower is pretty strong so I don't really have to move it too far into
the case and trust me, it will get to all the nooks and crannies!:)

--

In article <uMOy3TvPFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP\) <user@#notme.com> wrote:
>The blower is pretty strong so I don't really have to move it too far into
>the case and trust me, it will get to all the nooks and crannies!:)
>
>--
>In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>
>Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>Windows Shell/User
>https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

>"Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> This is great. I take it use blow out the dust that resides on CPU coolers
>> and mobo's and other hard to get places, right?
>>
>> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>>> About every 6 months or so, I use the following to blow out my cases:
>>> http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=114+0570&dept=&search=&child=
>>>
>>> You don't need to use the concentrator, it's fairly powerful and will
>>> blow out fans and cases without leaving any residue.
>>>
>>> --
>>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>>>
>>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>>

>>> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Using a VAC on electronics can cause static
discharge and damageq. Canned air is the right thing to use.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

This is a blower and this blower has no exposed metal parts including the
nozzles, no brush nozzle attachment either. Canned air can leave a residue
which over time can build up.

If users take proper precautions, ground themselves by touching something
metal before they open the case and wear a static discharge band as well,
they should not have a problem. The danger should be no greater than the
simple process of opening the case to use canned air or to install a
soundcard, graphics card or anything else that requires the user to open the
case.

--

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:07:04 -0700, Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:

> This is a blower and this blower has no exposed metal parts including
> the nozzles, no brush nozzle attachment either. Canned air can leave a
> residue which over time can build up.

Any vac, used in any mode (blower/vac), which has a ungrounded hose to
provide the air, can and almost always does, generate static of some
level. The simple physics are that a wand like they provide in those cheap
units is going to give a much higher chance of a bad experience.

I used compressed, dry, air, from a compressor set to 50PSI, when I clean
cases. In a pinch I will use a normal compressor if the air appears to be
clean and water free.

If you are grounded, and holding a nozzle (even a vac hose) at the end, it
would discharge any static, but most people unplug their computer, move
it, open it, and clean it.

> If users take proper precautions, ground themselves by touching
> something metal before they open the case and wear a static discharge
> band as well, they should not have a problem. The danger should be no
> greater than the simple process of opening the case to use canned air or
> to install a soundcard, graphics card or anything else that requires the
> user to open the case.

While I own two static bands, I've never seen anyone else that owns even
one, not in 40 years. The only people I know that own them are people that
have been through ESD training, and not many residential users have :)

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

In article <ijP6e.1747$Rd.1398@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:07:04 -0700, Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
>>
>> This is a blower and this blower has no exposed metal parts including
>> the nozzles, no brush nozzle attachment either. Canned air can leave a
>> residue which over time can build up.
>
>Any vac, used in any mode (blower/vac), which has a ungrounded hose to
>provide the air, can and almost always does, generate static of some
>level. The simple physics are that a wand like they provide in those cheap
>units is going to give a much higher chance of a bad experience.
>
>I used compressed, dry, air, from a compressor set to 50PSI, when I clean
>cases. In a pinch I will use a normal compressor if the air appears to be
>clean and water free.
>
>If you are grounded, and holding a nozzle (even a vac hose) at the end, it
>would discharge any static, but most people unplug their computer, move
>it, open it, and clean it.
>
>> If users take proper precautions, ground themselves by touching
>> something metal before they open the case and wear a static discharge
>> band as well, they should not have a problem. The danger should be no
>> greater than the simple process of opening the case to use canned air or
>> to install a soundcard, graphics card or anything else that requires the
>> user to open the case.
>
>While I own two static bands, I've never seen anyone else that owns even
>one, not in 40 years. The only people I know that own them are people that
>have been through ESD training, and not many residential users have :)

Good advice, above.

I own a static strap and use it if:

I'm working inside on a server with parts cost a week's wage, or
spares are not on hand and I'll be fired if I can't get the system I'm
working on back online by deadline when the dawn comes up.

If the customer is watching me and I don't want any coulda or
hindsight if the server dies a day later. The strap is just for show.

If the part I'm handling costs more than I feel like paying for out of
pocket.

Remeber; Static discharge below the level of perceptability can damage
a component, and the effect can be delayed.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

I agree fully. I should have made that point about properly grounding
yourself in my original post.

--

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:07:04 -0700, Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
>>
>> This is a blower and this blower has no exposed metal parts including
>> the nozzles, no brush nozzle attachment either. Canned air can leave a
>> residue which over time can build up.
>
> Any vac, used in any mode (blower/vac), which has a ungrounded hose to
> provide the air, can and almost always does, generate static of some
> level. The simple physics are that a wand like they provide in those cheap
> units is going to give a much higher chance of a bad experience.
>
> I used compressed, dry, air, from a compressor set to 50PSI, when I clean
> cases. In a pinch I will use a normal compressor if the air appears to be
> clean and water free.
>
> If you are grounded, and holding a nozzle (even a vac hose) at the end, it
> would discharge any static, but most people unplug their computer, move
> it, open it, and clean it.
>
>> If users take proper precautions, ground themselves by touching
>> something metal before they open the case and wear a static discharge
>> band as well, they should not have a problem. The danger should be no
>> greater than the simple process of opening the case to use canned air or
>> to install a soundcard, graphics card or anything else that requires the
>> user to open the case.
>
> While I own two static bands, I've never seen anyone else that owns even
> one, not in 40 years. The only people I know that own them are people that
> have been through ESD training, and not many residential users have :)
>
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

We have serious dust problems in our area. There's never a time when I can
go beyond 2 or 3 weeks max. without cleaning all the computers in the house.
I built the computers we use and 1 has 5 cooling fans, 1 has 6 cooling fans
and mine has 8. So there is a huge amount of air movement in these
computers. Hence, dust buildup is very frequent. In my opinion dust is rated
as one of the top enemies of technology. It is a great friend to heat and
the heat is a great enemey to computers.

I've tried every method I can imagine to find the best solution to clean
them out. Canned air....try using around 6 cans for 3 computers every 2 or 3
weeks....way expensive. So I bought a 2 or 3 gallon air tank at WalMart for
around $17. It takes a quarter to fill it and with some serious brushing
with a good auto parts brush, the tank will do 2 computers. There has never
been an issue with moisture using this method.

But.....I've finally found the best solution I believe possible for cleaning
the dust and dirt out. I remove both side panels, take it outside on the
workbench or picnic table and blow it out with my leaf blower. Go ahead and
laugh, everyone that I've told gets a good laugh about it.....but believe me
it works beautifully.

Always check to make sure you don't have any loose components or such before
you start. I have my wife hold the cooling fan blades with the handle of my
cleaning brush to prevent them from spinning.....I'm afraid they may spin so
fast it could create possible damage. After cleaning the area around the fan
blade she is holding, she moves her brush handle on to the next cooling fan,
etc.

You have zero moisture to worry about. You have zero brushing to do and
every spec of dust and dirt is removed. Even from those areas like inside
the cd trays, etc. that you had a hard time getting to before.

YES.....let me be perfectly clear, YOU MUST USE CAUTION! Make no mistake
about it, if you're not careful you can do some very serious damage. It's
much like going to the car wash and using a very high pressure sprayer, any
knucklehead knows you don't put the tip of the wand right up to the car
surface....doh...you'll be removing paint, not the dirt and mud. Just
remember you have total control over the leaf blower and you don't have to
stick it right against the graphics card or power supply to remove the
debris. And you don't have to rev it up like you're getting ready to race,
just take your time and get the feel of it and you'll quickly realize how
and where to use that trigger finger. Oh, with this method it takes longer
to remove and replace the sides than the actual cleaning job.

Take care and good luck, Rob.

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:51:21 -0500, Rob wrote:

> We have serious dust problems in our area. There's never a time when I can
> go beyond 2 or 3 weeks max. without cleaning all the computers in the house.
> I built the computers we use and 1 has 5 cooling fans, 1 has 6 cooling fans
> and mine has 8. So there is a huge amount of air movement in these
> computers. Hence, dust buildup is very frequent. In my opinion dust is rated
> as one of the top enemies of technology. It is a great friend to heat and
> the heat is a great enemey to computers.

Unless you live in a desert area, you've got some serious problems. If the
dust is that bad, it's also a medical threat. Heck, you would have to
change the filters on the House AC unit every couple weeks too.

> I've tried every method I can imagine to find the best solution to clean
> them out. Canned air....try using around 6 cans for 3 computers every 2 or 3
> weeks....way expensive. So I bought a 2 or 3 gallon air tank at WalMart for
> around $17. It takes a quarter to fill it and with some serious brushing
> with a good auto parts brush, the tank will do 2 computers. There has never
> been an issue with moisture using this method.

I call those POOF cans since they make your money go POOF in no time at
all. A cheap air compressor, from walmart or home-depot, will more that do
the job properly, and you can use it to blow up balloons for parties :)

> But.....I've finally found the best solution I believe possible for cleaning
> the dust and dirt out. I remove both side panels, take it outside on the
> workbench or picnic table and blow it out with my leaf blower. Go ahead and
> laugh, everyone that I've told gets a good laugh about it.....but believe me
> it works beautifully.

Now that's the funniest thing I've seen today.

One bit of advice - never use a BRUSH to clean computer parts.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ahhhhhh......wow, you are so right. I never even thought about all the
potential static electricity all the brushing creates.

Great point and thank you very much for that post. That's the great part
about these forums, you can learn something new no matter what level of
experience you have.

Take care, Rob.

Piece of air conditioner foam filter taped over the fan hole! Works great.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>any additional fans beyond this.
>
> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

sunny

Leythos wrote:

> While I own two static bands, I've never seen anyone else that owns even
> one, not in 40 years. The only people I know that own them are people that
> have been through ESD training, and not many residential users have :)

We can still try - I sell PC components on ebay, and all ship with a
disposable strap and a note saying the DOA warranty is void if the buyer
fails to use it.

sunny

Rob wrote:

> But.....I've finally found the best solution I believe possible for cleaning
> the dust and dirt out. I remove both side panels, take it outside on the
> workbench or picnic table and blow it out with my leaf blower. Go ahead and
> laugh, everyone that I've told gets a good laugh about it.....but believe me
> it works beautifully.

I take them outside and use the shop-vac on blow - same idea, works
great, but I wear an anti-static strap and hold the end of the nozzle
just in case.

> Always check to make sure you don't have any loose components or such before
> you start. I have my wife hold the cooling fan blades with the handle of my
> cleaning brush to prevent them from spinning.....I'm afraid they may spin so
> fast it could create possible damage. After cleaning the area around the fan
> blade she is holding, she moves her brush handle on to the next cooling fan,
> etc.

I deliberately spin the fans as fast as possible as it gets the crud off
the underside of the blades without using a brush. I've been doing it
for years, never had a problem with fan damage.

newbie

Well, based on everything that was said, I can see there is much a
difference of opinions on this issue.

I do feel that I will try Mr. Michael Solomon's idea of blowing out the case
from the product at Cyberguys.

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:51:53 -0700, Newbie wrote:

> Well, based on everything that was said, I can see there is much a
> difference of opinions on this issue.

the only difference of opinion is really if static is a threat or not and
how it's introduced during cleaning. In all cases, using a plastic hose
will generate static unless the hose is part of a grounded system with a
conductive plastic designed to discharge static.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Newbie, be sure to make note of and pay heed to the issue of static
electricity as mentioned in this thread. Cyberguys also sells antistatic
wrist straps and they are relatively inexpensive. They sell both cord and
cordless. The corded type uses a ground wire that must be attached to
something metal, the cordless type must be put on about 15 minutes prior to
doing any work in order for it to properly discharge static electricity:
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchAll.asp?s=SA

--

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:33:23 -0700, Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:

> the cordless type must be put on about 15 minutes prior to doing any
> work in order for it to properly discharge static electricity:

I read the description of it on their site, the only place I would use
something like that is sitting at a bench, not leaving the bench, and in a
room that is designed to be static free - in other words, I would not
trust it to protect anyone in a home/soho setting.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Good point. Unfortunately, there's not always something around to which you
can attach the ground wire but I agree, the corded type is better.

--

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:33:23 -0700, Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
>>
>> the cordless type must be put on about 15 minutes prior to doing any
>> work in order for it to properly discharge static electricity:
>
> I read the description of it on their site, the only place I would use
> something like that is sitting at a bench, not leaving the bench, and in a
> room that is designed to be static free - in other words, I would not
> trust it to protect anyone in a home/soho setting.
>

> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

newbie

Michael,

So, would this be a good corded antistatic strap?

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=116+0120&dept=&search=&child=