  • Fan
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
April 10, 2005 10:52:50 PM

I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have any
additional fans beyond this.

I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.

Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

More about : dust buildup

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 2:07:17 AM

Newbie

Dust is not generated by the computer.. it is collected by the computer..
locate the source of the dust.. tops of doors and picture frames are a good
start..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>any additional fans beyond this.
>
> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

April 11, 2005 2:07:18 AM

So there's no special fans or tools I can install in my computer to cut some
of the buildup?

> Newbie
>
> Dust is not generated by the computer.. it is collected by the computer..
> locate the source of the dust.. tops of doors and picture frames are a
> good start..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>>any additional fans beyond this.
>>
>> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

April 11, 2005 2:27:03 AM

In article <usVnpxjPFHA.1088@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
Newbie <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>So there's no special fans or tools I can install in my computer to cut some
>of the buildup?
>
>"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Newbie
>>
>> Dust is not generated by the computer.. it is collected by the computer..
>> locate the source of the dust.. tops of doors and picture frames are a
>> good start..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>>>any additional fans beyond this.
>>>
>>> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

I buy a fiberglass air conditioner filter and cut squares out of it
that match the INTAKE openings and use grey tape to stick it
place. Cover the biggest of the holes on the from panel with the same
tape. (this mess is hidden by the pop-off plastic panel. Remember to
change the filters once in a while.

Every time you open up the system use a can of compressed air to blow
the dust out of all the fans, including the PSU. Don't use a vacuum
cleaner.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 3:03:25 AM

Newbie

Assuming that your fans blow 'out', filters over the fans will be of little
value.. dust will enter the vents behind the front panel and through the
small gaps between optical and diskette drives and the case.. dust being
pulled through optical drives and diskette drives is one of the reasons that
these units fail prematurely.. your best bet is to keep the atmosphere in
the room as dust free as possible..

--

> So there's no special fans or tools I can install in my computer to cut
> some of the buildup?
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Newbie
>>
>> Dust is not generated by the computer.. it is collected by the computer..
>> locate the source of the dust.. tops of doors and picture frames are a
>> good start..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>>>any additional fans beyond this.
>>>
>>> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 6:11:28 PM

About every 6 months or so, I use the following to blow out my cases:
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=...

You don't need to use the concentrator, it's fairly powerful and will blow
out fans and cases without leaving any residue.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>any additional fans beyond this.
>
> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

April 11, 2005 8:54:29 PM

This is great. I take it use blow out the dust that resides on CPU coolers
and mobo's and other hard to get places, right?

news:o Sn1%23rtPFHA.2724@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> About every 6 months or so, I use the following to blow out my cases:
> http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=...
>
> You don't need to use the concentrator, it's fairly powerful and will blow
> out fans and cases without leaving any residue.
>
> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>>any additional fans beyond this.
>>
>> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 9:17:24 PM

The blower is pretty strong so I don't really have to move it too far into
the case and trust me, it will get to all the nooks and crannies!:-)

--

> This is great. I take it use blow out the dust that resides on CPU coolers
> and mobo's and other hard to get places, right?
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
> news:o Sn1%23rtPFHA.2724@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> About every 6 months or so, I use the following to blow out my cases:
>> http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=...
>>
>> You don't need to use the concentrator, it's fairly powerful and will
>> blow out fans and cases without leaving any residue.
>>
>> --
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>>
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>>>any additional fans beyond this.
>>>
>>> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 12:24:54 AM

In article <uMOy3TvPFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP\) <user@#notme.com> wrote:
>The blower is pretty strong so I don't really have to move it too far into
>the case and trust me, it will get to all the nooks and crannies!:-)
>
>--
>In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>
>Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>Windows Shell/User
>https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

>"Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> This is great. I take it use blow out the dust that resides on CPU coolers
>> and mobo's and other hard to get places, right?
>>
>> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>> news:o Sn1%23rtPFHA.2724@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> About every 6 months or so, I use the following to blow out my cases:
>>> http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=...
>>>
>>> You don't need to use the concentrator, it's fairly powerful and will
>>> blow out fans and cases without leaving any residue.
>>>
>>> --
>>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>>>
>>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>>

>>> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Using a VAC on electronics can cause static
discharge and damageq. Canned air is the right thing to use.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:07:04 AM

This is a blower and this blower has no exposed metal parts including the
nozzles, no brush nozzle attachment either. Canned air can leave a residue
which over time can build up.

If users take proper precautions, ground themselves by touching something
metal before they open the case and wear a static discharge band as well,
they should not have a problem. The danger should be no greater than the
simple process of opening the case to use canned air or to install a
soundcard, graphics card or anything else that requires the user to open the
case.

--

news:D 3f4gm$c2q$1@panix5.panix.com...
> In article <uMOy3TvPFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
> Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP\) <user@#notme.com> wrote:
>>The blower is pretty strong so I don't really have to move it too far into
>>the case and trust me, it will get to all the nooks and crannies!:-)
>>
>>--
>>In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>>
>>Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>>Windows Shell/User
>>https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>>Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>>DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>>"Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> This is great. I take it use blow out the dust that resides on CPU
>>> coolers
>>> and mobo's and other hard to get places, right?
>>>
>>> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o Sn1%23rtPFHA.2724@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> Using a VAC on electronics can cause static
> discharge and damageq. Canned air is the right thing to use.
>

> --
> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
>
> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:38:38 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:07:04 -0700, Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:

> This is a blower and this blower has no exposed metal parts including
> the nozzles, no brush nozzle attachment either. Canned air can leave a
> residue which over time can build up.

Any vac, used in any mode (blower/vac), which has a ungrounded hose to
provide the air, can and almost always does, generate static of some
level. The simple physics are that a wand like they provide in those cheap
units is going to give a much higher chance of a bad experience.

I used compressed, dry, air, from a compressor set to 50PSI, when I clean
cases. In a pinch I will use a normal compressor if the air appears to be
clean and water free.

If you are grounded, and holding a nozzle (even a vac hose) at the end, it
would discharge any static, but most people unplug their computer, move
it, open it, and clean it.

> If users take proper precautions, ground themselves by touching
> something metal before they open the case and wear a static discharge
> band as well, they should not have a problem. The danger should be no
> greater than the simple process of opening the case to use canned air or
> to install a soundcard, graphics card or anything else that requires the
> user to open the case.

While I own two static bands, I've never seen anyone else that owns even
one, not in 40 years. The only people I know that own them are people that
have been through ESD training, and not many residential users have :-)

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

In article <ijP6e.1747$Rd.1398@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:07:04 -0700, Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
>>
>> This is a blower and this blower has no exposed metal parts including
>> the nozzles, no brush nozzle attachment either. Canned air can leave a
>> residue which over time can build up.
>
>Any vac, used in any mode (blower/vac), which has a ungrounded hose to
>provide the air, can and almost always does, generate static of some
>level. The simple physics are that a wand like they provide in those cheap
>units is going to give a much higher chance of a bad experience.
>
>I used compressed, dry, air, from a compressor set to 50PSI, when I clean
>cases. In a pinch I will use a normal compressor if the air appears to be
>clean and water free.
>
>If you are grounded, and holding a nozzle (even a vac hose) at the end, it
>would discharge any static, but most people unplug their computer, move
>it, open it, and clean it.
>
>> If users take proper precautions, ground themselves by touching
>> something metal before they open the case and wear a static discharge
>> band as well, they should not have a problem. The danger should be no
>> greater than the simple process of opening the case to use canned air or
>> to install a soundcard, graphics card or anything else that requires the
>> user to open the case.
>
>While I own two static bands, I've never seen anyone else that owns even
>one, not in 40 years. The only people I know that own them are people that
>have been through ESD training, and not many residential users have :-)

Good advice, above.

I own a static strap and use it if:

I'm working inside on a server with parts cost a week's wage, or
spares are not on hand and I'll be fired if I can't get the system I'm
working on back online by deadline when the dawn comes up.

If the customer is watching me and I don't want any coulda or
hindsight if the server dies a day later. The strap is just for show.

If the part I'm handling costs more than I feel like paying for out of
pocket.

Remeber; Static discharge below the level of perceptability can damage
a component, and the effect can be delayed.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:38:39 PM

I agree fully. I should have made that point about properly grounding
yourself in my original post.

--

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:07:04 -0700, Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
>>
>> This is a blower and this blower has no exposed metal parts including
>> the nozzles, no brush nozzle attachment either. Canned air can leave a
>> residue which over time can build up.
>
> Any vac, used in any mode (blower/vac), which has a ungrounded hose to
> provide the air, can and almost always does, generate static of some
> level. The simple physics are that a wand like they provide in those cheap
> units is going to give a much higher chance of a bad experience.
>
> I used compressed, dry, air, from a compressor set to 50PSI, when I clean
> cases. In a pinch I will use a normal compressor if the air appears to be
> clean and water free.
>
> If you are grounded, and holding a nozzle (even a vac hose) at the end, it
> would discharge any static, but most people unplug their computer, move
> it, open it, and clean it.
>
>> If users take proper precautions, ground themselves by touching
>> something metal before they open the case and wear a static discharge
>> band as well, they should not have a problem. The danger should be no
>> greater than the simple process of opening the case to use canned air or
>> to install a soundcard, graphics card or anything else that requires the
>> user to open the case.
>
> While I own two static bands, I've never seen anyone else that owns even
> one, not in 40 years. The only people I know that own them are people that
> have been through ESD training, and not many residential users have :-)
>
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

April 12, 2005 4:51:21 PM

We have serious dust problems in our area. There's never a time when I can
go beyond 2 or 3 weeks max. without cleaning all the computers in the house.
I built the computers we use and 1 has 5 cooling fans, 1 has 6 cooling fans
and mine has 8. So there is a huge amount of air movement in these
computers. Hence, dust buildup is very frequent. In my opinion dust is rated
as one of the top enemies of technology. It is a great friend to heat and
the heat is a great enemey to computers.

I've tried every method I can imagine to find the best solution to clean
them out. Canned air....try using around 6 cans for 3 computers every 2 or 3
weeks....way expensive. So I bought a 2 or 3 gallon air tank at WalMart for
around $17. It takes a quarter to fill it and with some serious brushing
with a good auto parts brush, the tank will do 2 computers. There has never
been an issue with moisture using this method.

But.....I've finally found the best solution I believe possible for cleaning
the dust and dirt out. I remove both side panels, take it outside on the
workbench or picnic table and blow it out with my leaf blower. Go ahead and
laugh, everyone that I've told gets a good laugh about it.....but believe me
it works beautifully.

Always check to make sure you don't have any loose components or such before
you start. I have my wife hold the cooling fan blades with the handle of my
cleaning brush to prevent them from spinning.....I'm afraid they may spin so
fast it could create possible damage. After cleaning the area around the fan
blade she is holding, she moves her brush handle on to the next cooling fan,
etc.

You have zero moisture to worry about. You have zero brushing to do and
every spec of dust and dirt is removed. Even from those areas like inside
the cd trays, etc. that you had a hard time getting to before.

YES.....let me be perfectly clear, YOU MUST USE CAUTION! Make no mistake
about it, if you're not careful you can do some very serious damage. It's
much like going to the car wash and using a very high pressure sprayer, any
knucklehead knows you don't put the tip of the wand right up to the car
surface....doh...you'll be removing paint, not the dirt and mud. Just
remember you have total control over the leaf blower and you don't have to
stick it right against the graphics card or power supply to remove the
debris. And you don't have to rev it up like you're getting ready to race,
just take your time and get the feel of it and you'll quickly realize how
and where to use that trigger finger. Oh, with this method it takes longer
to remove and replace the sides than the actual cleaning job.

Take care and good luck, Rob.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 11:33:19 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:51:21 -0500, Rob wrote:

> We have serious dust problems in our area. There's never a time when I can
> go beyond 2 or 3 weeks max. without cleaning all the computers in the house.
> I built the computers we use and 1 has 5 cooling fans, 1 has 6 cooling fans
> and mine has 8. So there is a huge amount of air movement in these
> computers. Hence, dust buildup is very frequent. In my opinion dust is rated
> as one of the top enemies of technology. It is a great friend to heat and
> the heat is a great enemey to computers.

Unless you live in a desert area, you've got some serious problems. If the
dust is that bad, it's also a medical threat. Heck, you would have to
change the filters on the House AC unit every couple weeks too.

> I've tried every method I can imagine to find the best solution to clean
> them out. Canned air....try using around 6 cans for 3 computers every 2 or 3
> weeks....way expensive. So I bought a 2 or 3 gallon air tank at WalMart for
> around $17. It takes a quarter to fill it and with some serious brushing
> with a good auto parts brush, the tank will do 2 computers. There has never
> been an issue with moisture using this method.

I call those POOF cans since they make your money go POOF in no time at
all. A cheap air compressor, from walmart or home-depot, will more that do
the job properly, and you can use it to blow up balloons for parties :)

> But.....I've finally found the best solution I believe possible for cleaning
> the dust and dirt out. I remove both side panels, take it outside on the
> workbench or picnic table and blow it out with my leaf blower. Go ahead and
> laugh, everyone that I've told gets a good laugh about it.....but believe me
> it works beautifully.

Now that's the funniest thing I've seen today.

One bit of advice - never use a BRUSH to clean computer parts.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
April 12, 2005 11:33:20 PM

Ahhhhhh......wow, you are so right. I never even thought about all the
potential static electricity all the brushing creates.

Great point and thank you very much for that post. That's the great part
about these forums, you can learn something new no matter what level of
experience you have.

Take care, Rob.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:54:45 AM

Piece of air conditioner foam filter taped over the fan hole! Works great.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>any additional fans beyond this.
>
> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

April 13, 2005 4:22:10 AM

Leythos wrote:

> While I own two static bands, I've never seen anyone else that owns even
> one, not in 40 years. The only people I know that own them are people that
> have been through ESD training, and not many residential users have :-)

We can still try - I sell PC components on ebay, and all ship with a
disposable strap and a note saying the DOA warranty is void if the buyer
fails to use it.
April 13, 2005 4:36:24 AM

Rob wrote:

> But.....I've finally found the best solution I believe possible for cleaning
> the dust and dirt out. I remove both side panels, take it outside on the
> workbench or picnic table and blow it out with my leaf blower. Go ahead and
> laugh, everyone that I've told gets a good laugh about it.....but believe me
> it works beautifully.

I take them outside and use the shop-vac on blow - same idea, works
great, but I wear an anti-static strap and hold the end of the nozzle
just in case.

> Always check to make sure you don't have any loose components or such before
> you start. I have my wife hold the cooling fan blades with the handle of my
> cleaning brush to prevent them from spinning.....I'm afraid they may spin so
> fast it could create possible damage. After cleaning the area around the fan
> blade she is holding, she moves her brush handle on to the next cooling fan,
> etc.

I deliberately spin the fans as fast as possible as it gets the crud off
the underside of the blades without using a brush. I've been doing it
for years, never had a problem with fan damage.
April 14, 2005 12:51:53 AM

Well, based on everything that was said, I can see there is much a
difference of opinions on this issue.

I do feel that I will try Mr. Michael Solomon's idea of blowing out the case
from the product at Cyberguys.

"Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>any additional fans beyond this.
>
> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 8:14:43 AM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:51:53 -0700, Newbie wrote:

> Well, based on everything that was said, I can see there is much a
> difference of opinions on this issue.

the only difference of opinion is really if static is a threat or not and
how it's introduced during cleaning. In all cases, using a plastic hose
will generate static unless the hose is part of a grounded system with a
conductive plastic designed to discharge static.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 4:33:23 PM

Newbie, be sure to make note of and pay heed to the issue of static
electricity as mentioned in this thread. Cyberguys also sells antistatic
wrist straps and they are relatively inexpensive. They sell both cord and
cordless. The corded type uses a ground wire that must be attached to
something metal, the cordless type must be put on about 15 minutes prior to
doing any work in order for it to properly discharge static electricity:
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchAll.asp?s=SA

--

news:o hdDLVKQFHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Well, based on everything that was said, I can see there is much a
> difference of opinions on this issue.
>
> I do feel that I will try Mr. Michael Solomon's idea of blowing out the
> case from the product at Cyberguys.
>
> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>>any additional fans beyond this.
>>
>> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:46:15 AM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:33:23 -0700, Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:

> the cordless type must be put on about 15 minutes prior to doing any
> work in order for it to properly discharge static electricity:

I read the description of it on their site, the only place I would use
something like that is sitting at a bench, not leaving the bench, and in a
room that is designed to be static free - in other words, I would not
trust it to protect anyone in a home/soho setting.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:46:16 AM

Good point. Unfortunately, there's not always something around to which you
can attach the ground wire but I agree, the corded type is better.

--

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:33:23 -0700, Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
>>
>> the cordless type must be put on about 15 minutes prior to doing any
>> work in order for it to properly discharge static electricity:
>
> I read the description of it on their site, the only place I would use
> something like that is sitting at a bench, not leaving the bench, and in a
> room that is designed to be static free - in other words, I would not
> trust it to protect anyone in a home/soho setting.
>

> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

April 15, 2005 3:43:45 AM

Michael,

So, would this be a good corded antistatic strap?

> Newbie, be sure to make note of and pay heed to the issue of static
> electricity as mentioned in this thread. Cyberguys also sells antistatic
> wrist straps and they are relatively inexpensive. They sell both cord and
> cordless. The corded type uses a ground wire that must be attached to
> something metal, the cordless type must be put on about 15 minutes prior
> to doing any work in order for it to properly discharge static
> electricity:
> http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchAll.asp?s=SA
>
> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:o hdDLVKQFHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Well, based on everything that was said, I can see there is much a
>> difference of opinions on this issue.
>>
>> I do feel that I will try Mr. Michael Solomon's idea of blowing out the
>> case from the product at Cyberguys.
>>
>> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>>>any additional fans beyond this.
>>>
>>> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:18:54 AM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 16:10:30 -0700, Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:

> Good point. Unfortunately, there's not always something around to which
> you can attach the ground wire but I agree, the corded type is better.

If you leave the computer plugged into the wall outlet, with a proper
grounded plug/outlet, the case/PSU should be grounded - touching it will
discharge the static.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 3:38:29 PM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 23:43:45 -0700, Newbie wrote:

> Michael,
>
> So, would this be a good corded antistatic strap?
>
> http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=...

There is no mention of the resistance used - if this unit doesn't have a
resister then you could be setting yourself up for electrocution. As I
recall, the resister should be on the order of 10meg/ohms or something
like that - low enough to discharge the static, high enough to keep you
from being killed if you contact 120VAC power.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:08:59 PM

Yes it would, I thought about that after I pressed send. I was thinking in
terms of most home offices having mostly composite materials which can make
finding a proper ground problematic. Personally, I tend to prefer not to
leave the computer plugged in when opening the system. That said, the case
being metal, could you not attach ground wire to the part of the case you
remove to open it?

--

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 16:10:30 -0700, Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
>>
>> Good point. Unfortunately, there's not always something around to which
>> you can attach the ground wire but I agree, the corded type is better.
>
> If you leave the computer plugged into the wall outlet, with a proper
> grounded plug/outlet, the case/PSU should be grounded - touching it will
> discharge the static.
>
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:12:05 PM

It should be all right but you probably should call cyberguys, I believe
they have a toll free number listed at their website and check with them
about the concerns raised by Leythos.

--

> Michael,
>
> So, would this be a good corded antistatic strap?
>
> http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=...
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>> Newbie, be sure to make note of and pay heed to the issue of static
>> electricity as mentioned in this thread. Cyberguys also sells antistatic
>> wrist straps and they are relatively inexpensive. They sell both cord
>> and cordless. The corded type uses a ground wire that must be attached
>> to something metal, the cordless type must be put on about 15 minutes
>> prior to doing any work in order for it to properly discharge static
>> electricity:
>> http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchAll.asp?s=SA
>>
>> --
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>>
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:o hdDLVKQFHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> Well, based on everything that was said, I can see there is much a
>>> difference of opinions on this issue.
>>>
>>> I do feel that I will try Mr. Michael Solomon's idea of blowing out the
>>> case from the product at Cyberguys.
>>>
>>> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 1:47:09 AM

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:08:59 -0700, Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:

> Yes it would, I thought about that after I pressed send. I was thinking
> in terms of most home offices having mostly composite materials which
> can make finding a proper ground problematic. Personally, I tend to
> prefer not to leave the computer plugged in when opening the system.
> That said, the case being metal, could you not attach ground wire to the
> part of the case you remove to open it?

You can leave the computer plugged into the wall, turn off the power
switch on the PSU itself (there is almost always a switch on the PSU on
quality units) or disconnect the power connections from the MB if you
want, but the safest method is to just allow the electrical ground
provided by the PSU to the case, to remain in place so that you don't have
to purchase/do anything, it's already grounded.

In almost 30 years of working with electronics I've never fried anything
with static, and with computers being left connected to the power (with
power off) I've never damaged one yet.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 1:47:10 AM

Thanks Leythos and thank you for your contributions to this thread, most
enlightening.

--

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:08:59 -0700, Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
>>
>> Yes it would, I thought about that after I pressed send. I was thinking
>> in terms of most home offices having mostly composite materials which
>> can make finding a proper ground problematic. Personally, I tend to
>> prefer not to leave the computer plugged in when opening the system.
>> That said, the case being metal, could you not attach ground wire to the
>> part of the case you remove to open it?
>
> You can leave the computer plugged into the wall, turn off the power
> switch on the PSU itself (there is almost always a switch on the PSU on
> quality units) or disconnect the power connections from the MB if you
> want, but the safest method is to just allow the electrical ground
> provided by the PSU to the case, to remain in place so that you don't have
> to purchase/do anything, it's already grounded.
>
> In almost 30 years of working with electronics I've never fried anything
> with static, and with computers being left connected to the power (with
> power off) I've never damaged one yet.
>
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 2:49:42 AM

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:00:03 -0700, Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:

> Thanks Leythos and thank you for your contributions to this thread, most
> enlightening.

Thank you, I just like to give back as I've learned a lot from Usenet over
the last 20 years.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 5:27:37 PM

I got an email about using one of those little computer vac's and blower
units to clean systems, here is what I responded - in case anyone is
interested.

The question was about this device:
Can you recommend the best antistatic products and steps I should use when
I use this product below?

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=...

Here is my reply:

There isn't enough information available for the product you selected for
me to know if the unit it going to generate static. What I can see is that
it uses a standard 2 prong electrical cord, which means that it does not
have the "earth ground" prong (the third one), so that also means that it
might not properly discharge any static if it were to create it.

When it comes to static and cleaning, I use a poof-can or a real air
compressor - the cans are metal and if I'm grounded I know that the can is
too (since it conducts through my body). With the compressor, it has a
metal fitting at the end of the hose, so the same applies, if I'm grounded
so is the air exiting the nozzle.

When it comes to cleaning a computer, via air (inside or out) or via rag
(only on the outside of the case), I just leave the electrical cord
connected, turn the power off at the PSU and on the front - remember, the
new P4 units almost always have power to the motherboard unless you can
turn off the power on the PSU (the switch I was talking about)

If you look at this power supply, just below the AV power connector there
is a small black flip-switch, this would turn off the power and stop the
supply to the motherboard:
http://images.tigerdirect.com/skuimages/large/P456-4000... at the
same time, it leaves the computer properly grounded so you can use it as a
good static discharge point (the case).

When I hand ANYONE an electronic part, even if they have an ESD strap, I
always touch them with my finger first - this puts us at the same charge
level, so the part I'm handing them doesn't get zapped.

When I put a new motherboard in a computer, I take the box (unopened) to
the computer, touch the case frequently while opening the box and the ESD
bag containing the motherboard, then only handle the motherboard directly
once I've touched the case while also holding the ESD bag right before
removing the motherboard. I touch the case frequently while working with
the motherboard in order to maintain a static free install.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 5:27:38 PM

In article <dp88e.3985$0V2.1131@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
>I got an email about using one of those little computer vac's and blower
>units to clean systems, here is what I responded - in case anyone is
>interested.
>
>The question was about this device:
>Can you recommend the best antistatic products and steps I should use when
>I use this product below?
>
>http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=...
>

>Here is my reply:
>
>There isn't enough information available for the product you selected for
>me to know if the unit it going to generate static. What I can see is that
>it uses a standard 2 prong electrical cord, which means that it does not
>have the "earth ground" prong (the third one), so that also means that it
>might not properly discharge any static if it were to create it.
>
>When it comes to static and cleaning, I use a poof-can or a real air
>compressor - the cans are metal and if I'm grounded I know that the can is
>too (since it conducts through my body). With the compressor, it has a
>metal fitting at the end of the hose, so the same applies, if I'm grounded
>so is the air exiting the nozzle.
>
>When it comes to cleaning a computer, via air (inside or out) or via rag
>(only on the outside of the case), I just leave the electrical cord
>connected, turn the power off at the PSU and on the front - remember, the
>new P4 units almost always have power to the motherboard unless you can
>turn off the power on the PSU (the switch I was talking about)
>
>If you look at this power supply, just below the AV power connector there
>is a small black flip-switch, this would turn off the power and stop the
>supply to the motherboard:
>http://images.tigerdirect.com/skuimages/large/P456-4000... at the
>same time, it leaves the computer properly grounded so you can use it as a
>good static discharge point (the case).
>
>When I hand ANYONE an electronic part, even if they have an ESD strap, I
>always touch them with my finger first - this puts us at the same charge
>level, so the part I'm handing them doesn't get zapped.
>
>When I put a new motherboard in a computer, I take the box (unopened) to
>the computer, touch the case frequently while opening the box and the ESD
>bag containing the motherboard, then only handle the motherboard directly
>once I've touched the case while also holding the ESD bag right before
>removing the motherboard. I touch the case frequently while working with
>the motherboard in order to maintain a static free install.

Moving air, by definition, creates electrostatic buildup. Grounding
the vac doesn't prevent it and grounding the vac and the PC just
provides an easy path for the discharge. Static below the threshold of
perception can damage IC components and the effects of damage may not
be immediate. An all-metal vac and a wire between the nozzle and the
chassis would probbaly be safe but I've never seen that.

I use a can of air instead of a power vac and use a wrist strap on any
part or system when I may get fired if it ceases to function.

I can't say with any expertese why a can of compressed air is safer
but I'll guess it's because (a) it's used intermittantly and
accumulates very little charge (b) there is no electric motor with
arcing commutator brushes that generate lots of lose electrons and (c)
It's cold and these is enough local humidity to dissapate the
charge. Maybe all three.

I agree that static damage is unlikely, but why take chances.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
April 22, 2005 12:20:33 AM

Michael,

What do you think of this product compared to the one you mentioned?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

It seems a bit stronger (5HP vs .5HP the cyberguys product).

What do you do to prepare yourself when you blow out your case? I want to
make sure I am prepared. I know there was a lot of strong opinion about this
and I would like to know what you do.

Thanks

Can you list specific products
news:o Sn1%23rtPFHA.2724@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> About every 6 months or so, I use the following to blow out my cases:
> http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=...
>
> You don't need to use the concentrator, it's fairly powerful and will blow
> out fans and cases without leaving any residue.
>
> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>>any additional fans beyond this.
>>
>> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 2:06:06 AM

As Richard has pointed out, the two vac units are equivalent and frankly,
you don't really need much more "blow" power than that. Also, I use a
nozzle with a nice round opening instead of one that is concentrated. You
don't want to use a concentrated stream that might actually damage something
delicate. You just want decent air flow through the box. You don't even
have to move it into the case, just hover above the open case and I
guarantee it will blow it out. This blower is pretty powerful, powerful
enough to blow the nozzle right off the blower so I'm careful to hold the
blower by the handle and where the nozzle is affixed to the blower and I
just hover it in a more or less circular motion above the case.

I take standard precautions, much as I would any time I open the case to
change an add-in card and even if I'm wearing a wristband, I always touch
some metal before touching the case in order to make sure I've discharged
any static charge I might be carrying at the time.

--

> Michael,
>
> What do you think of this product compared to the one you mentioned?
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
>
> It seems a bit stronger (5HP vs .5HP the cyberguys product).
>
> What do you do to prepare yourself when you blow out your case? I want to
> make sure I am prepared. I know there was a lot of strong opinion about
> this and I would like to know what you do.
>
> Thanks
>
> Can you list specific products
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
> news:o Sn1%23rtPFHA.2724@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> About every 6 months or so, I use the following to blow out my cases:
>> http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=...
>>
>> You don't need to use the concentrator, it's fairly powerful and will
>> blow out fans and cases without leaving any residue.
>>
>> --
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>>
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>>>any additional fans beyond this.
>>>
>>> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

April 22, 2005 4:46:19 AM

Newbie wrote:

> Michael,
>
> What do you think of this product compared to the one you mentioned?
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
>
> It seems a bit stronger (5HP vs .5HP the cyberguys product).

5HP in the heading is a misprint. Scroll down to Specifications and you
will find it is also .5HP
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 4:48:18 AM

Look closely. It is .5 HP. A 5 HP motor would need 220-440 volts to run.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Michael,
>
> What do you think of this product compared to the one you mentioned?
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
>
> It seems a bit stronger (5HP vs .5HP the cyberguys product).
>
> What do you do to prepare yourself when you blow out your case? I want to
> make sure I am prepared. I know there was a lot of strong opinion about
> this and I would like to know what you do.
>
> Thanks
>
> Can you list specific products
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
> news:o Sn1%23rtPFHA.2724@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> About every 6 months or so, I use the following to blow out my cases:
>> http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=...
>>
>> You don't need to use the concentrator, it's fairly powerful and will
>> blow out fans and cases without leaving any residue.
>>
>> --
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>>
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>>>any additional fans beyond this.
>>>
>>> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 7:35:47 AM

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:20:33 -0700, Newbie wrote:

> Michael,
>
> What do you think of this product compared to the one you mentioned?
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
>
> It seems a bit stronger (5HP vs .5HP the cyberguys product).

I like this one:

http://www.chpower.com/chimages/catalog/active/comp_WL6...

Just kidding :)

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 12:10:35 PM

If you look closely they are the same product with different labelling.
Cyberguys has more (and maybe useless??!) attachments.

r.

"Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Michael,
>
> What do you think of this product compared to the one you mentioned?
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
>
> It seems a bit stronger (5HP vs .5HP the cyberguys product).
>
> What do you do to prepare yourself when you blow out your case? I want to
> make sure I am prepared. I know there was a lot of strong opinion about
> this and I would like to know what you do.
>
> Thanks
>
> Can you list specific products
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
> news:o Sn1%23rtPFHA.2724@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> About every 6 months or so, I use the following to blow out my cases:
>> http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=...
>>
>> You don't need to use the concentrator, it's fairly powerful and will
>> blow out fans and cases without leaving any residue.
>>
>> --
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>>
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I have your basic ATX form setup with one side fan, 1 rear. I don't have
>>>any additional fans beyond this.
>>>
>>> I've noticed my side fan is a culprit for quick dust buildup.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any suggestions for cutting the dust buildup?

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 4:13:15 PM

Correct, as they pertain to blowing dust out of a PC case, the other
attachments are useless. At least I find all but the primary attachment
with circular opening to be useless in that regard. However, you may find
other uses for this blower and some of those attachments are useful in other
areas in which you might use some of the other attachments.

--

"namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
> If you look closely they are the same product with different labelling.
> Cyberguys has more (and maybe useless??!) attachments.
>
> r.
>
> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Michael,
>>
>> What do you think of this product compared to the one you mentioned?
>>
>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
>>
>> It seems a bit stronger (5HP vs .5HP the cyberguys product).
>>
>> What do you do to prepare yourself when you blow out your case? I want to
>> make sure I am prepared. I know there was a lot of strong opinion about
>> this and I would like to know what you do.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Can you list specific products
>> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>> news:o Sn1%23rtPFHA.2724@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> About every 6 months or so, I use the following to blow out my cases:
>>> http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=...
>>>
>>> You don't need to use the concentrator, it's fairly powerful and will
>>> blow out fans and cases without leaving any residue.
>>>
>>> --
>>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>>>
>>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>>

>>> "Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:01:39 AM

I'm experimenting with this and it seems most existing cases are proper
"rattlers" (poor fit of side panels etc) & colanders (extraneous holes &
slots in every concevable panel).

My first step was to cut a 120mm hole in the plastic front bezel at the
bottom front face of the case and fit a removable 120mm dust filter.
Same on an 80mm side panel. Both holes have fans fitted behind them, to
"encourage dust into the filters". That wasn't enough.

I then taped a j-cloth to cover (but not block) the 3-400 tiny
side-panel ventilation holes on the motherboard side of the case. This
can be removed & cleaned very easily. That wasn't enough.

So I put thin plastic tape over every slot/hole/grill in the case
(Note: do NOT use sellotape-like material, which gets brittle over time
- I used a tough, sticky flexible tape, much like electrical insulating
tape but stickier). I also added a 6-inch long dust "landing pad" in the
bottom of the case. It's double-sided tape just trimmed to tack on the
case, the other side has all the sticky surface exposet to trap
dust/hair & anything else that settles on it. Quite good, but something
else was letting in dust.

As I mentioned the case sides aren't airtight. I will look into that
soon but it's not a big problem.

What I found was that the open ports let in dust. (And when not cleaned
prior to use the ports can become erratic, causing error messages etc!).
So I found some USB dust caps and that's pretty much all I need to do.
Do a search on Ebay ... they're for sale in the UK now (June 2005)

HTH, Ray

--
Ray_GTIRPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
June 24, 2005 8:44:41 AM

#1 way of keeping dust out of your computer...

KEEP IT OFF THE FLOOR AND KEEP IT UP HIGH!

All the dust settles to the bottom of your house. If you keep it up in
a space that doesnt get too dusty and off the floor then you won't have
that prob. I keep my comp up on my desk in a spot where it wont get too
much dust and i only half to clean it like 1 every 2 months...even then
i only half to clean it a lil bit...

--
Tweak
Anonymous

Tweak Wrote:

> KEEP IT OFF THE FLOOR AND KEEP IT UP HIGH!
> Tweak I know what you mean, Tweak ;)  ... but there are always compromises to
be made. Here are a few things to consider;-

* the higher the box, the warmer the ambient air. Apparently, the worst
place is on a desk in a top-floor bedroom
* stretching whilst seated is an ergonomic no-no. Whether it's the
on/off swtich, CD and/or diskette drive.
* noise! I cannot imagine having a set of fans at ear level - it'd
drive me mad!

Better advice;- cold air is at the lowest level in a room, normally.
So, keep the box low for the best ambient temperature conditions. (The
top of my desk is currently at 23.2C, the (lower) desk shelf that my
box is sitting on is at 21.6C. That's where the main inlet fan/filter
is situated.) Also, keep the frequently-used buttons close and at waist
level.

All of my boxes are about 2"/50mm off ground level and all the buttons
are within arm's reach of my mouse.

Tweak Wrote:

> All the dust settles to the bottom of your house.
> Tweak Apparently, "all" the dust settles mainly on flat surfaces. At whatever
level the flat surface is at! Otherwise, it settles on surfaces that
have static electricity buildup like screens, filters, fan blades etc.
Note: moving air causes static buildup.

Finally, the point about filters, dust caps and whatever is to trap or
prevent "in-flight" dust from getting into your box, i.e., before it
has settled.

--
Ray_GTIRPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
!