I am in need of DVD-ROM and CD-RW help.

Hi, I have an Emachines C1904 running windows xp and can no longer use either
of the DVD/CD-RWs. It is currently intsalled w/ DVD-16X DVD-ROM BDV316C, AND
the other is HL-DT-ST-CD/RW GCE 8400B. I have used the troubleshooter on
both w/ the same result on both, the session ends saying that it cannot help
me in this issue. I have also used the Device manager, to uninstall an detect
new hardware, I recieve the same message on both : "Windows cannot load the
device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing.
(Code 39)". When I try too update the driver the message is: "windows
cannot find a better driver than the one currently installed." My system
does not even show there Icons in the my computer folder . I would like to
be able to use them again, does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do
to make that happen?

map

"Israel" wrote:

> Hi, I have an Emachines C1904 running windows xp and can no longer use either
> of the DVD/CD-RWs. It is currently intsalled w/ DVD-16X DVD-ROM BDV316C, AND
> the other is HL-DT-ST-CD/RW GCE 8400B. I have used the troubleshooter on
> both w/ the same result on both, the session ends saying that it cannot help
> me in this issue. I have also used the Device manager, to uninstall an detect
> new hardware, I recieve the same message on both : "Windows cannot load the
> device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing.
> (Code 39)". When I try too update the driver the message is: "windows
> cannot find a better driver than the one currently installed." My system
> does not even show there Icons in the my computer folder . I would like to
> be able to use them again, does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do
> to make that happen?

http://dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

The same thing happened to me after installing XP service pack 2. I tried
the things you did, and also tried uninstalling SP2, to no avail. My 2 DVD
burners show up in the system bios, but in the device manager it says
"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot
find the hardware device. (Code 41)"

I hope someone out there can help us.

BTW - I have an athalon XP, asus mo-board, and 2 sony drives (dru-510A and
dw-d22a)

"Israel" wrote:

> Hi, I have an Emachines C1904 running windows xp and can no longer use either
> of the DVD/CD-RWs. It is currently intsalled w/ DVD-16X DVD-ROM BDV316C, AND
> the other is HL-DT-ST-CD/RW GCE 8400B. I have used the troubleshooter on
> both w/ the same result on both, the session ends saying that it cannot help
> me in this issue. I have also used the Device manager, to uninstall an detect
> new hardware, I recieve the same message on both : "Windows cannot load the
> device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing.
> (Code 39)". When I try too update the driver the message is: "windows
> cannot find a better driver than the one currently installed." My system
> does not even show there Icons in the my computer folder . I would like to
> be able to use them again, does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do
> to make that happen?

One other thing. I removed both DVD burners from the device manager,
re-booted, the system found both of them, but they are still not accessable
from windows explorer. ????

"randoli" wrote:

> The same thing happened to me after installing XP service pack 2. I tried
> the things you did, and also tried uninstalling SP2, to no avail. My 2 DVD
> burners show up in the system bios, but in the device manager it says
> "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot
> find the hardware device. (Code 41)"
>
> I hope someone out there can help us.
>
> BTW - I have an athalon XP, asus mo-board, and 2 sony drives (dru-510A and
> dw-d22a)
>
> "Israel" wrote:
>
> > Hi, I have an Emachines C1904 running windows xp and can no longer use either
> > of the DVD/CD-RWs. It is currently intsalled w/ DVD-16X DVD-ROM BDV316C, AND
> > the other is HL-DT-ST-CD/RW GCE 8400B. I have used the troubleshooter on
> > both w/ the same result on both, the session ends saying that it cannot help
> > me in this issue. I have also used the Device manager, to uninstall an detect
> > new hardware, I recieve the same message on both : "Windows cannot load the
> > device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing.
> > (Code 39)". When I try too update the driver the message is: "windows
> > cannot find a better driver than the one currently installed." My system
> > does not even show there Icons in the my computer folder . I would like to
> > be able to use them again, does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do
> > to make that happen?

I got mine working by going to kelly's corner
(http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm) navigating to C, going to
CD-ROM, downloading the script for CD Rom or DVD Not Listed in Explorer/My
Computer and executing it.

When done, I rebooted and voila - my drives are back!