My previous monitor has a hw problem so I've connected an old IIyama
VisionMaster Pro 400 instead. But it appears in Display
Properties>Settings and in Device Manager>Monitors as 'Default
Monitor'. It sees to be working OK, but presumably not at its optimum.
Why doesn't Win XP recognise it, and how can I get it to do so, or
manually change it please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

OK, thanks, managed to sort this a while later. The key step I'd
missed when using the Update Driver dialog was to uncheck the 'Show
compatible devices' box. Seems sort of counter-intuitive to me, as I'd
have thought I *did* want XP to use 'compatible' monitors! But anyway,
on removing that, a full list appeared, from which I selected my
IIyama VisionMaster.

Can't say it's made any visible difference (still using same
resolution and same 85 Hz refresh rate), but maybe there's some subtle
improvement?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Install the correct monitor.inf file from the manufacturer! Some call it a
driver, but it is not. It just tells the computer what the specific monitor
is capable of.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> OK, thanks, managed to sort this a while later. The key step I'd
> missed when using the Update Driver dialog was to uncheck the 'Show
> compatible devices' box. Seems sort of counter-intuitive to me, as I'd
> have thought I *did* want XP to use 'compatible' monitors! But anyway,
> on removing that, a full list appeared, from which I selected my
> IIyama VisionMaster.
>
> Can't say it's made any visible difference (still using same
> resolution and same 85 Hz refresh rate), but maybe there's some subtle
> improvement?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

Maybe you could wave a magic wand as it would do as much good. Do you think
every different brand uses different timing? WRONG and totally pointless.

--
Jonah