Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AN35N-Ultra Will Not Detect Drives

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Share
November 24, 2004 9:09:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

Having problems with motherboards. Six month old system I built with
AN35N-Ultra motherboard stopped working. Stripped it down to the
power supply processor and motherboard and did not get any post beeps
so figured board was bad. Purchased new AN35N-Ultra and now I have a
new problem. I connected everything back the same way of the original
configuration same exact parts just new motherboard. System will
start post but will hang up on hard drive auto detect. I have one WD
80gig drive on primary IDE channel and one DVD-RW on secondary
channel, both worked fine with this configuration before. Checked
bios and both channels are enabled and set on auto detect. So I
removed the DVD-RW IDE cable and the system booted up fine. Next I
switched the WD hard drive to the secondary IDE channel that the DVD
was on, again system booted up fine. Tried to connect a second hard
drive to the other channel and again it locked up on the hard drive
auto detect. I also tried to put the second hard drive in a slave
position on the same IDE channel with the main WD hard drive as master
and again it locked up. If I connect anything more than one hard
drive to the motherboard it will stop on hard drive auto detect.
Anyone have a clue as to the problem? Another bad motherboard?
Checked all the power cables, seem to be fine. Made sure all the
jumpers on the drives were in the proper place, slave master or single
drive. What to do now?

More about : an35n ultra detect drives

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2004 5:38:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

Al wrote:
> Having problems with motherboards. Six month old system I built with
> AN35N-Ultra motherboard stopped working. Stripped it down to the
> power supply processor and motherboard and did not get any post beeps
> so figured board was bad. Purchased new AN35N-Ultra and now I have a
> new problem. I connected everything back the same way of the original
> configuration same exact parts just new motherboard. System will
> start post but will hang up on hard drive auto detect. I have one WD
> 80gig drive on primary IDE channel and one DVD-RW on secondary
> channel, both worked fine with this configuration before. Checked
> bios and both channels are enabled and set on auto detect. So I
> removed the DVD-RW IDE cable and the system booted up fine. Next I
> switched the WD hard drive to the secondary IDE channel that the DVD
> was on, again system booted up fine. Tried to connect a second hard
> drive to the other channel and again it locked up on the hard drive
> auto detect. I also tried to put the second hard drive in a slave
> position on the same IDE channel with the main WD hard drive as master
> and again it locked up. If I connect anything more than one hard
> drive to the motherboard it will stop on hard drive auto detect.
> Anyone have a clue as to the problem? Another bad motherboard?
> Checked all the power cables, seem to be fine. Made sure all the
> jumpers on the drives were in the proper place, slave master or single
> drive. What to do now?
New IDE cables? And set the jumpers on all drives to "cable select".

--
FRH
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2004 11:23:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

The more hard drives, the power is need, maybe your power supply is going
bad.
A bad power supply could have caused your original AN35N motherboard to go
bad

Try clearing the bios, unplug the power cable, then Clear CMOS (jp-1 jumper)
for 30 seconds,
then plug power cable back in, then reset your bios setting.

"Al" <al849@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:e19d6989.0411241809.5108f16f@posting.google.com...
> Having problems with motherboards. Six month old system I built with
> AN35N-Ultra motherboard stopped working. Stripped it down to the
> power supply processor and motherboard and did not get any post beeps
> so figured board was bad. Purchased new AN35N-Ultra and now I have a
> new problem. I connected everything back the same way of the original
> configuration same exact parts just new motherboard. System will
> start post but will hang up on hard drive auto detect. I have one WD
> 80gig drive on primary IDE channel and one DVD-RW on secondary
> channel, both worked fine with this configuration before. Checked
> bios and both channels are enabled and set on auto detect. So I
> removed the DVD-RW IDE cable and the system booted up fine. Next I
> switched the WD hard drive to the secondary IDE channel that the DVD
> was on, again system booted up fine. Tried to connect a second hard
> drive to the other channel and again it locked up on the hard drive
> auto detect. I also tried to put the second hard drive in a slave
> position on the same IDE channel with the main WD hard drive as master
> and again it locked up. If I connect anything more than one hard
> drive to the motherboard it will stop on hard drive auto detect.
> Anyone have a clue as to the problem? Another bad motherboard?
> Checked all the power cables, seem to be fine. Made sure all the
> jumpers on the drives were in the proper place, slave master or single
> drive. What to do now?
>
Related resources
November 26, 2004 7:34:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

"Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<Sarpd.98122$5K2.59160@attbi_s03>...
> The more hard drives, the power is need, maybe your power supply is going
> bad.
> A bad power supply could have caused your original AN35N motherboard to go
> bad
>
> Try clearing the bios, unplug the power cable, then Clear CMOS (jp-1 jumper)
> for 30 seconds,
> then plug power cable back in, then reset your bios setting.
>
I don't have any way to check power supply other than replaceing it.
Tried clearing the CMOS, but did not have any effect on problem.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 26, 2004 11:28:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

You might want to invest in a power supply tester. I use mine all the
time, and it's found problems for me. Newegg has a Powmax for $14,
including shipping, and its accurate. BTW-if your first board was
only 6 months old isn't it still under warranty?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2004 8:17:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

Order a cheap power supply off www.pricewatch.com
or www.ebay.com

"Al" <al849@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:e19d6989.0411260434.517d5e90@posting.google.com...
> "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:<Sarpd.98122$5K2.59160@attbi_s03>...
>> The more hard drives, the power is need, maybe your power supply is going
>> bad.
>> A bad power supply could have caused your original AN35N motherboard to
>> go
>> bad
>>
>> Try clearing the bios, unplug the power cable, then Clear CMOS (jp-1
>> jumper)
>> for 30 seconds,
>> then plug power cable back in, then reset your bios setting.
>>
> I don't have any way to check power supply other than replaceing it.
> Tried clearing the CMOS, but did not have any effect on problem.
>
November 27, 2004 6:26:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

"Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<86Upd.673715$8_6.43977@attbi_s04>...
> Order a cheap power supply off www.pricewatch.com
> or www.ebay.com
>


Another odd thing, when I checked the device manager it has my
Western Digital 80 gig IDE hard drive listed as a SCSI Disk device.
WDC W080 0JB-00FMA0 SCSI Disk Device
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 28, 2004 9:49:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

Any added on controller (IDE/ATA or SCSI) will be listed in Device Manger as
SCSI.
Have you added an extra controller ?

"jerry" <rst121@juno.com> wrote in message
news:e0e926c2.0411271526.3ee30e13@posting.google.com...
> "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:<86Upd.673715$8_6.43977@attbi_s04>...
>> Order a cheap power supply off www.pricewatch.com
>> or www.ebay.com
>>
>
>
> Another odd thing, when I checked the device manager it has my
> Western Digital 80 gig IDE hard drive listed as a SCSI Disk device.
> WDC W080 0JB-00FMA0 SCSI Disk Device
>
November 28, 2004 9:49:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

"Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<cyeqd.108657$5K2.78651@attbi_s03>...
> Any added on controller (IDE/ATA or SCSI) will be listed in Device Manger as
> SCSI.
> Have you added an extra controller ?
>

No, I have not added any extra controller cards all though
I thought that might be a way to fix the problem.
December 4, 2004 4:57:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

Installed new 500w power supply. No help.
Looks like just another bad main board.
Everyone seems to love these Shuttle AN35N boards, but
I have had nothing but bad experience. Third replacement is on
the way from newegg. Hope third time is the charm!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 5, 2004 5:28:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

and you are using the cables that came with the board?

"Al" <al849@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:e19d6989.0412041357.27503f49@posting.google.com...
> Installed new 500w power supply. No help.
> Looks like just another bad main board.
> Everyone seems to love these Shuttle AN35N boards, but
> I have had nothing but bad experience. Third replacement is on
> the way from newegg. Hope third time is the charm!
December 5, 2004 12:23:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

"dave AKA vwdoc1" <vwdoc1@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<Dnusd.28738$Rf1.573@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>...
> and you are using the cables that came with the board?
>


Tried the cables that came with the board, also bought some new
round cables. No luck with any of them.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 5, 2004 10:11:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

well good luck with the new board! ;-)

"Al" <al849@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:e19d6989.0412050923.4736a51d@posting.google.com...
> "dave AKA vwdoc1" <vwdoc1@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> news:<Dnusd.28738$Rf1.573@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>...
>> and you are using the cables that came with the board?
>>
>
>
> Tried the cables that came with the board, also bought some new
> round cables. No luck with any of them.
!