SB62G2: moving to RAID...

Hi everyone!

Just wondering: I have a SB62G2 unit here, running Gentoo Linux. This
box currently has 1 HD. Is it possible to add a 2nd HD & turn this in a
RAID-1 system (via the hardware/BIOS) WITHOUT losing the data already
present?

The system is based on ICH5-R.

Regards,
Evert Meulie

Yes, quite easily.

"Evert Meulie" <evert@witelcom.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone!
>
> Just wondering: I have a SB62G2 unit here, running Gentoo Linux. This box
> currently has 1 HD. Is it possible to add a 2nd HD & turn this in a RAID-1
> system (via the hardware/BIOS) WITHOUT losing the data already present?
>
> The system is based on ICH5-R.
>

> Regards,
> Evert Meulie

I just pop in the extra HD, and then in the RAID BIOS I can create the
volume without loss of data?
(I know I probably have to edit the boot disk in Gentoo linux, but
that's the easy part...)

Regards,
Evert Meulie

In article <v00382-sdm.ln1@witelcom.com>,
Evert Meulie <evert@witelcom.com> wrote:

> I just pop in the extra HD, and then in the RAID BIOS I can create the
> volume without loss of data?
> (I know I probably have to edit the boot disk in Gentoo linux, but
> that's the easy part...)

I use SME server (RedHat 7.3) and it is a simple matter to enable the
raid support. I strongly recommend a backup of the entire machine using
rsync before attempting this.

mophilly wrote:
> In article <v00382-sdm.ln1@witelcom.com>,
> Evert Meulie <evert@witelcom.com> wrote:
>

>>I just pop in the extra HD, and then in the RAID BIOS I can create the
>>volume without loss of data?
>>(I know I probably have to edit the boot disk in Gentoo linux, but
>>that's the easy part...)
>

> I use SME server (RedHat 7.3) and it is a simple matter to enable the
> raid support. I strongly recommend a backup of the entire machine using
> rsync before attempting this.

Enabling RAID in BIOS? And then it will ask me which HD to use as
'source drive'? Sounds plain/simple, yes... :)

Now I only have to find a similar HD to the one I have... They seem to
be out-dated already... ;)