Can't sort start menu

I used to be able to sort the start menu by right clicking the mouse button
and selected "Sort" from the menu.

I no longer get this menu when I right click over the Start menu, although I
am able to bring up a menu when I right click on items on my desktop.

Thanks.

The location\item you right click on the open Start listing determines
whether you get a "Sort by Name" or not. Select another line to r-click on.

Mike Clark wrote:

> I used to be able to sort the start menu by right clicking the mouse button
> and selected "Sort" from the menu.
>
> I no longer get this menu when I right click over the Start menu, although I
> am able to bring up a menu when I right click on items on my desktop.
>
> Thanks.

If your right click menu is missing.....

XP Start Menu >>
Right click the Start button | Properties |
Start Menu tab | Customize button | Advanced tab |
Scroll down to and Check: ? Enable dragging and dropping |
OK | OK

Classic Start Menu >>
Right click the Start button | Properties |
Start Menu tab | Customize button |
Scroll down to and Check: ? Enable dragging and dropping |
OK | OK

[[Specifies whether you can drag items to the Start
menu.]] Also disables right click menu if UNChecked.
----

If XP Pro...

You can use the Group Policy editor (Gpedit.msc) under the following
location to configure Start menu features:
User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer
The registry entries are DWORD values. A value of 1 is enabled, and a value
of 0 is disabled.

Policy: Disable drag-and-drop menus on the Start Menu
dropping items. Other methods of customizing the Start menu are still
enabled.
Registry Value: "NoChangeStartMenu"

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:udsRKduPFHA.2824@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Mike Clark <clark@kailuahawaii.com> hunted and pecked:
> I used to be able to sort the start menu by right clicking the mouse
> button and selected "Sort" from the menu.
>
> I no longer get this menu when I right click over the Start menu,
> although I am able to bring up a menu when I right click on items on my
> desktop.
>
> Thanks.

crenwelge

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009

If your right click menu is missing.....

XP Start Menu >>
Right click the Start button | Properties |
Start Menu tab | Customize button | Advanced tab |
Scroll down to and Check: ? Enable dragging and dropping |
OK | OK

Thanks, great tip.