Format C Drive

How do I format my windows XP machine. The hard drive is defective and I
have to send to back to the manufacutre. I do not want to reinstall windows.

Thanks in advace.

Steven K

Is the drive you are sending back the one that Windows is installed on?
If so, you will have to reinstall Windows once you get the replacement drive
back. Were you wanting to format the Windows drive before you sent it back
to remove data before sending it back (privacy concerns)? (Have you backed
up your data?)

Or is it a secondary data drive, and you just want to wipe all the data from
it before you send it back?
(I am assuming it is not so defective that you can't even format it...)
If this is the case, just right click the Start button, go to Explore. Find
the drive you are returning and right click it and select Format.
--
Mark St. John

"Steven K" <StevenK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I format my windows XP machine. The hard drive is defective and I
> have to send to back to the manufacutre. I do not want to reinstall
> windows.
>
> Thanks in advace.
>
> Steven K

Hello,

It is my primary drive that has windows installed on it. I would like to
format it for privacy concerns.

How would I do this?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

"Mark [MSFT]" wrote:

> Is the drive you are sending back the one that Windows is installed on?
> If so, you will have to reinstall Windows once you get the replacement drive
> back. Were you wanting to format the Windows drive before you sent it back
> to remove data before sending it back (privacy concerns)? (Have you backed
> up your data?)
>
> Or is it a secondary data drive, and you just want to wipe all the data from
> it before you send it back?
> (I am assuming it is not so defective that you can't even format it...)
> If this is the case, just right click the Start button, go to Explore. Find
> the drive you are returning and right click it and select Format.
> --
> Mark St. John
>
> "Steven K" <StevenK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I format my windows XP machine. The hard drive is defective and I
> > have to send to back to the manufacutre. I do not want to reinstall
> > windows.
> >
> > Thanks in advace.
> >
> > Steven K

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:25:02 -0700, "Steven K"

http://dban.sourceforge.net

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:25:02 -0700, Steven K wrote:

> It is my primary drive that has windows installed on it. I would like
> to format it for privacy concerns.
>
> How would I do this?

Formatting it will not eliminate the ability of recovery software to
restore the data (I've actually deleted partitions, formatted, etc. and
still been able to recover every document/image/file with data).

You need to get a wiper type program - one that over-writes the partition
or drive with data to ensure that every track/sector is written with data
to make sure that your data is unaccessible.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me