Hi All,

I have recently purchased an 80gb 2.5" hard disk drive & external enclosure
USB2.

When I first plugged the hardware in, all was fine and device was ready to
use.

BUT, nothing was listed under "My Computer" no drive letter allocated
nothing.

No problems under device manager and the hard drive is listed under "Disk
Drives" & Mass Storage Device.

If I right click on My Computer and Manage, the drive doesn't appear or
under portable deices in control panel.

What is going on !

Microsoft support website has nothing on this problem, which is apparently a
major issue with many people world-wide.

I am running Windows XP Home SP2. The device was installed around 2 months
after SP2.

Can someone please help, I have an expensive piece of hardware that can't be
used and I'm sure that Microsoft won't refund the purchase cost !

Thanks

Steve
Melbourne Australia

I think I have resolved my own question:

If you right click on "My Computer" & Manage, use the removable storage area
to locate your device.

Create a partition, Allocate drive letter & format.

After trying various things for several hours, I stumbled across this area
under disk management.

Microsoft should still have this information available on the website for
USB Storage troubleshooting.

>I think I have resolved my own question:
>
> If you right click on "My Computer" & Manage, use the removable storage
> area to locate your device.
>
> Create a partition, Allocate drive letter & format.
>
> After trying various things for several hours, I stumbled across this area
> under disk management.
>

> Microsoft should still have this information available on the website for
> USB Storage troubleshooting.
>

> "Harry Who" <Harry@who.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have recently purchased an 80gb 2.5" hard disk drive & external
>> enclosure USB2.
>>
>> When I first plugged the hardware in, all was fine and device was ready
>> to use.
>>
>> BUT, nothing was listed under "My Computer" no drive letter allocated
>> nothing.
>>

>> No problems under device manager and the hard drive is listed under "Disk
>> Drives" & Mass Storage Device.
>>

>> If I right click on My Computer and Manage, the drive doesn't appear or
>> under portable deices in control panel.
>>
>> What is going on !
>>
>> Microsoft support website has nothing on this problem, which is
>> apparently a major issue with many people world-wide.
>>

>> I am running Windows XP Home SP2. The device was installed around 2
>> months after SP2.
>>

>> Can someone please help, I have an expensive piece of hardware that can't
>> be used and I'm sure that Microsoft won't refund the purchase cost !
>>

>> Thanks
>>

>> Steve
>> Melbourne Australia

As the computer fraternity hold Microsoft responsible for most problems in
the world today it is perfectly logical that you should hold them
responsible for your being able to get a peripheral device to function that
you purchase from a third party.