Microsoft Blocking Third Parties from Reviving Start Button

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is potentially very bad. It's one thing to remove legacy code from consumer versions, but businesses are resistant to change...heck, I was still using XP 32bit until just 2 days ago. Removing the ability to boot to desktop, as well as stripping start menu could be devastating for a production environment.

I can see Microsoft branching the business/enterprise versions of Windows into its own line in the future if this is the trend.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Okay, this does not make sense to me. I get that MS wants to do everything they can to emphasize metro UI--the app store being the primary reason. But why prevent others from making this possible? Do they realize that at this point in the development cycle it can't do anything but turn more people off to Windows 8? Horrific timing on their part. If this was the plan all along they should have done this way back at the developer preview version.

PraxGTI

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Businesses didn't want to switch to Vista because it was terrible, a resource hog, and was not better for businesses than Windows XP. We still have at least 50 machines running Windows XP in our business and they are great for what we need.

Windows 8 simply won't be adopted by businesses, and businesses that would consider adopting Windows 8 for its fru fru consumer look and feel already probably have Macs.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Watching Microsoft chasing after Apple is almost as depressing as it is embarrassing. They've been complacent for so long and now that everything is shifting to mobility, physical UIs and universal/eco-system OSes, they're BEHIND the pack.

Windows 8 will drive people AWAY from PCs and over to iPhones, iPads and even Macs/Macbooks.

Windows 7 better be supported for MANY MANY YEARS - because it's the last OS that Microsoft will make lots of money off of.

Amazing... how stupid are Microsoft? and how soon they forget...

Vista... bad...why? "we didnt listen to our customers"...
Win7... great.... "we listened to our customers"
Win8.... Prime arrogance from Microsoft... "We know best what you want"

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I sure that a big company like Microsoft did their marketing research and that they're aware of the fact that many, MANY people will initially hate it. Heck, it's been there since Windows 95... But like I said, they must've done their research and found that a significant portion liked it.

Else they're just digging their own grave, financially speaking.

G

It's like Microsoft is purposely trying to remove every single feature that consumers would want in an OS, and release a product that no one, especially businesses would want to buy.

Am I wrong here? 0o

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Microsoft has faced an increasing amount of criticism over Windows 8's Metro UI and its place on the desktop PC.

Throw in my part of criticism, as well, I'm testing it right now on a VM and it's a mess, I know I won't switch to it. Why should I?

[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Watching Microsoft chasing after Apple is almost as depressing as it is embarrassing. They've been complacent for so long and now that everything is shifting to mobility, physical UIs and universal/eco-system OSes, they're BEHIND the pack.Windows 8 will drive people AWAY from PCs and over to iPhones, iPads and even Macs/Macbooks.Windows 7 better be supported for MANY MANY YEARS - because it's the last OS that Microsoft will make lots of money off of.[/citation]

Ah, STFU, people like you have been whining the same about Vista. Let them fail on Win8 and they'll get rid of all this crap and make something useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.