Two monitors with a desk top system.

How can I use my desk top system that has only one Montor port so that I can
have two montors like I can do with a laptop?

Do I need a special dual port graphic card? Note that my system's existing
graphic port in built into the mother board.

Having to montors is such a great productivity enhancing tool.

Thanks for your help.
3 answers Last reply
More about monitors desk system

    You can't use two monitors with a single video port.

    You need to either purchase another video card, and install it, and then use
    both ports, or buy a video card that can do dual outputs.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    "Atl-Mike" <AtlMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How can I use my desk top system that has only one Montor port so that I
    > can
    > have two montors like I can do with a laptop?
    >
    > Do I need a special dual port graphic card? Note that my system's
    > existing
    > graphic port in built into the mother board.
    >
    > Having to montors is such a great productivity enhancing tool.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    > Do I need a special dual port graphic card? Note that my system's
    > existing
    > graphic port in built into the mother board.

    If you have a free PCI or AGP slot on your mother board you may be able to
    get by using your onboard display card and one of the supported PCI or AGP
    cards

    If you have any combination of two AGP/PCI slots free you can disable the
    onboard and use two cards, if it is more economical than getting a dual port
    graphic card.

    See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307397

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296538

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "Atl-Mike" <AtlMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How can I use my desk top system that has only one Montor port so that I
    > can
    > have two montors like I can do with a laptop?
    >
    > Do I need a special dual port graphic card? Note that my system's
    > existing
    > graphic port in built into the mother board.
    >
    > Having to montors is such a great productivity enhancing tool.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    "Atl-Mike" <AtlMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >How can I use my desk top system that has only one Montor port so that I can
    >have two montors like I can do with a laptop?
    >
    >Do I need a special dual port graphic card? Note that my system's existing
    >graphic port in built into the mother board.
    >
    >Having to montors is such a great productivity enhancing tool.
    >
    >Thanks for your help.

    You will need an additional graphics card, but exactly what depends on
    the specific type of motherboard that you have.

    1. Some of the chipsets used for onboard video are not compatible
    with the multiple display option in Windows XP so in order to use two
    monitors on one of these systems you must disable the onboard video
    completely and purchase a video card with two heads or two video
    cards.

    2. Some motherboards with onboard video also have an AGP video card
    slot while others do not. If your motherboard does not have an AGP
    video card slot then you must use a PCI graphics card which are less
    common and there are fewer models to choose from.

    Note: Do not repeat do not confuse PCI graphics cards with the newer
    PCI Express (PCIe) graphics cards. They are completely different.

    3. If your motherboard has an AGP slot your best bet would be one of
    the ATI or Sapphire cards that provide both VGA and DVI video outputs.
    With one of these cards plus a (very inexpensive) DVI to VGA adapter
    plug you can connect two VGA monitors to these cards,

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP