Accessing output of sound card (after all the sounds are m..

I'm interested in finding out how to gain access to the sound card output,
essentially "just prior" to the sound going out to the speakers.

I want to look into writing a program to monitor the "overall output level",
and see whether I can automate some sort of volume levelling while I'm
playing back a set of video clips. Windows Media Player can do things like
this with audio clips, but not video. However, I'm using video clips, and
I'm not using Media Player anyway. But I do have a collection of video clips
that have wildly varying soundtrack loudness, so I'm riding the volume
control all the time.

Can anyone point me at some web sites or articles that touch on this?
Thanks.

"Warrick Wilson" <warrickw@mercuryonline.com> wrote in message
> I'm interested in finding out how to gain access to the sound card output,
> essentially "just prior" to the sound going out to the speakers.
>
> I want to look into writing a program to monitor the "overall output
> level", and see whether I can automate some sort of volume levelling while
> I'm playing back a set of video clips. Windows Media Player can do things
> like this with audio clips, but not video. However, I'm using video clips,
> and I'm not using Media Player anyway. But I do have a collection of video
> clips that have wildly varying soundtrack loudness, so I'm riding the
> volume control all the time.
>
> Can anyone point me at some web sites or articles that touch on this?
> Thanks.

Ulead DVD Movie Factory has some form of sound leveling prior to disk
burning. Check box labelled Normalize Audio.

http://www.ulead.com/tech/dmf/dmf.htm

r.