setting up a new hard drive as drive D

walter

Hi,
I have a pc which has Windows XP Home (OEM) which has been updated to SP2
plus all the other updates.

This has Windows setup plus the applications on drive C.

I want to add a second hard disk as IDE drive D but I cannot see any were
that will enable me to fdisk prior to formating the new drive.

Can any one advise me where to find the commands to do this?

Thank you,

Walter

"Walter" <Walter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a pc which has Windows XP Home (OEM) which has been updated to SP2
> plus all the other updates.
>
> This has Windows setup plus the applications on drive C.
>
> I want to add a second hard disk as IDE drive D but I cannot see any were
> that will enable me to fdisk prior to formating the new drive.
>
> Can any one advise me where to find the commands to do this?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Walter

Rt click My Computer, Manage then select Storage, Disk Management branch.

r.

anna

"namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
> Rt click My Computer, Manage then select Storage, Disk Management branch.
>
> r.

Walter:
You ordinarily do not use the DOS FDISK/FORMAT commands to partition &
format a hard disk in the XP environment. Rather, as namniar has indicated,
you use XP's Disk Management utility to do so.

Here are the detailed steps...
1. You will partition & format your second HD using XP's Disk Management
utility. Access it by right-clicking My Computer > Manage > Computer
Management > Disk Management, or, Start > Run > enter diskmgmt.msc & click
OK.

2. If the disk you're adding is a "virgin" drive, i.e.,
unpartitioned/unformatted, XP will detect the new disk and automatically
open the "Initialize and Convert Disk Wizard". Follow the prompts to
initialize the disk. (Do *not* select the option to convert your hard drive
to a "dynamic disk", nor the "convert" option).

3. If Disk Management does not detect the new disk, click "Rescan Disks".
You might need to restart your computer although this is usually
unnecessary.

4. Disk Management will show the capacity of the new drive as "Unallocated"
space. So in order to use the new drive you will have to partition and
format it.

5. Create a partition by right-clicking on the pane that displays the new
drive (diagonal lines will appear in the pane), and select "New Partition".
The "New Partition Wizard" dialog box will open. Click Next.

6. Select the option "Primary partition" (the default) as the "Partition
Type". Click Next.

7. The "Specify Partition Size" dialog box will indicate the maximum disk
capacity in MB. If you want to create multiple partitions, enter whatever
partition size (in MB) that you want for the first partition and click Next.

8. In the next dialog box, assign a drive letter for this disk and click
Next.

9. The "Format Partition" dialog box will open. Review it carefully and
accept the defaults or make any changes. If you're reasonably certain your
hard disk is sound, you can tick the "Perform a quick format" checkbox.
Click Next

10. Confirm the settings in the "Completing the New Partition Wizard" dialog
box and click Finish.

11. The "Computer Management" window will open indicating the disk is being
formatted (progress shown as % formatted).

12. Your hard disk has been initialized, partitioned, and formatted. If
you're creating multiple partitions on that disk, you'll have remaining
"Unallocated" disk space that you can partition & format, so repeat the
process starting from step 5. above.

Anna

walter

Anna,
Thank you for your help which I followed and found it a lot easier than when
I added a second drive in my old Windows Me machine.
Walter

"Anna" wrote:

> [...]
>
> 8. In the next dialog box, assign a drive letter for this disk and click
> Next.
>
> 9. The "Format Partition" dialog box will open. Review it carefully and
> accept the defaults or make any changes. If you're reasonably certain your
> hard disk is sound, you can tick the "Perform a quick format" checkbox.
> Click Next
>
> 10. Confirm the settings in the "Completing the New Partition Wizard" dialog
> box and click Finish.
>
> 11. The "Computer Management" window will open indicating the disk is being
> formatted (progress shown as % formatted).
>
> 12. Your hard disk has been initialized, partitioned, and formatted. If
> you're creating multiple partitions on that disk, you'll have remaining
> "Unallocated" disk space that you can partition & format, so repeat the

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi: if my disk is already formatted and full of data that i dont want lost,
will an initialization process do the trick so i can use it on this machine
(it has been formatted by a mac for use with both mac and windows)? thanks

"Anna" wrote:

> [...]
>
> 8. In the next dialog box, assign a drive letter for this disk and click
> Next.
>
> 9. The "Format Partition" dialog box will open. Review it carefully and
> accept the defaults or make any changes. If you're reasonably certain your
> hard disk is sound, you can tick the "Perform a quick format" checkbox.
> Click Next
>
> 10. Confirm the settings in the "Completing the New Partition Wizard" dialog
> box and click Finish.
>
> 11. The "Computer Management" window will open indicating the disk is being
> formatted (progress shown as % formatted).
>
> 12. Your hard disk has been initialized, partitioned, and formatted. If
> you're creating multiple partitions on that disk, you'll have remaining
> "Unallocated" disk space that you can partition & format, so repeat the

You can:
1) Look at the disk partition
2) Assign drive letter to the partition
3) Delete and create partitions.

Not certain if you can directly connect a Mac disk to a Windows PC as an
internal slave disk. You maight have better luck if you were to place it in
an external drive box, which you would then connect to either USB or
Firewire.

"tom" <tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> Next.
>>
>> 9. The "Format Partition" dialog box will open. Review it carefully and
>> accept the defaults or make any changes. If you're reasonably certain
>> your
>> hard disk is sound, you can tick the "Perform a quick format" checkbox.
>> Click Next
>>
>> 10. Confirm the settings in the "Completing the New Partition Wizard"
>> dialog
>> box and click Finish.
>>
>> 11. The "Computer Management" window will open indicating the disk is
>> being
>> formatted (progress shown as % formatted).
>>
>> 12. Your hard disk has been initialized, partitioned, and formatted. If
>> you're creating multiple partitions on that disk, you'll have remaining
>> "Unallocated" disk space that you can partition & format, so repeat the

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yves:

thank you. it is already in an external box. when i plug it in via usb,
the OS says its ready to use but i cant find it in 'my computer'. so i'm
trying to get the os to recognize it as a writable disk. I DO NOT want to
corrupt the data under any cricumstance. OSX does this SO much easier...

tom