Shuttle XPC SN45G a few ?'s

new to shuttles so have a few questions

I am looking to build a relatively quiet yet performance PC

i have been looking at

Shuttle XPC SN45G on ebuyer (link below)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52947

now i have read that page and read a couple of the reviews, seen close up
pictures on other wbesites and just love the look of the case!

anyhow my few question are about the BIOS on the board in the system and the
Power supply, probably in a FAQ somewhere i have been unable to find it
however, also one Q about graphics cards

I plan on using a Athlon XP-M 2600+ in the system and am wondering, do the
BIOS allow me to change the CPU FSB settings and the multiplier, also do
they allow me to change the CPU vcore

the reason being for me wishing to know this is for overclocking, also if
the CPU fan is a bit loud i might want to underclock the processor so i can
tune down the CPU fan.

Also what rating is the PSU 300w? does it even come with a PSU? it doesn't
say so on the website (ebuyer) if it doesn't, will any mATX PSU do the job?
any reccomendations that have been tried and tested, higher rating the
better (350w if possible)

Lastly has anyone had a top end gfx card (AGP) inside one of these little
machines? at the minute i have a GeForce5200 (not so top end) which I will
most likely be trying to get to 5900XT at least, or maybe even go for a 6800
do they fit?

any help would be much appreciated as would any advice, these are really
nice alternatives to building one from scartch, which i dont think i could
be fussed with.

PS - has anyone ever sprayed the front of a DVD/CD drive or floppy disk
drive?

Christo wrote:
> new to shuttles so have a few questions
>
> I am looking to build a relatively quiet yet performance PC
>
> i have been looking at
>
> Shuttle XPC SN45G on ebuyer (link below)

Nice pc just what I built ! (V2)

> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52947

Doesn't say if it's a V1 or V2 (bit concerned that I'd be getting an old V1)

> now i have read that page and read a couple of the reviews, seen close up
> pictures on other wbesites and just love the look of the case!
>
> anyhow my few question are about the BIOS on the board in the system and the
> Power supply, probably in a FAQ somewhere i have been unable to find it
> however, also one Q about graphics cards
>
> I plan on using a Athlon XP-M 2600+ in the system and am wondering, do the
> BIOS allow me to change the CPU FSB settings and the multiplier, also do
> they allow me to change the CPU vcore

Can't answer that one as I've never looked into overclocking

> the reason being for me wishing to know this is for overclocking, also if
> the CPU fan is a bit loud i might want to underclock the processor so i can
> tune down the CPU fan.
>
> Also what rating is the PSU 300w? does it even come with a PSU? it doesn't
> say so on the website (ebuyer) if it doesn't, will any mATX PSU do the job?
> any reccomendations that have been tried and tested, higher rating the
> better (350w if possible)

250w silent PSU on the SNG45V2 comes as standard 200w on the SNG45V1

> Lastly has anyone had a top end gfx card (AGP) inside one of these little
> machines? at the minute i have a GeForce5200 (not so top end) which I will
> most likely be trying to get to 5900XT at least, or maybe even go for a 6800
> do they fit?

If you haven't already ask at the forum
http://forums.sudhian.com/categories.cfm?catid=43 someone will answer

> any help would be much appreciated as would any advice, these are really
> nice alternatives to building one from scartch, which i dont think i could
> be fussed with.
>
> PS - has anyone ever sprayed the front of a DVD/CD drive or floppy disk
> drive?

why would you want to ? I assume you are thinking about making them
silver if so just buy silver drives thats what I did.

"Phil Hoggins" <Phil_Hoggins@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Christo wrote:
>> new to shuttles so have a few questions
>>
>> I am looking to build a relatively quiet yet performance PC
>>
>> i have been looking at
>>
>> Shuttle XPC SN45G on ebuyer (link below)
>
> Nice pc just what I built ! (V2)
>

>> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52947
>
> Doesn't say if it's a V1 or V2 (bit concerned that I'd be getting an old
> V1)
>>
>> now i have read that page and read a couple of the reviews, seen close up
>> pictures on other wbesites and just love the look of the case!
>>
>> anyhow my few question are about the BIOS on the board in the system and
>> the Power supply, probably in a FAQ somewhere i have been unable to find
>> it however, also one Q about graphics cards
>>
>> I plan on using a Athlon XP-M 2600+ in the system and am wondering, do
>> the BIOS allow me to change the CPU FSB settings and the multiplier, also
>> do they allow me to change the CPU vcore
>
> Can't answer that one as I've never looked into overclocking
>

>> the reason being for me wishing to know this is for overclocking, also if
>> the CPU fan is a bit loud i might want to underclock the processor so i
>> can tune down the CPU fan.
>>
>> Also what rating is the PSU 300w? does it even come with a PSU? it
>> doesn't say so on the website (ebuyer) if it doesn't, will any mATX PSU
>> do the job? any reccomendations that have been tried and tested, higher
>> rating the better (350w if possible)
>
> 250w silent PSU on the SNG45V2 comes as standard 200w on the SNG45V1
>

>> Lastly has anyone had a top end gfx card (AGP) inside one of these little
>> machines? at the minute i have a GeForce5200 (not so top end) which I
>> will most likely be trying to get to 5900XT at least, or maybe even go
>> for a 6800 do they fit?
>
> If you haven't already ask at the forum
> http://forums.sudhian.com/categories.cfm?catid=43 someone will answer
>>
>> any help would be much appreciated as would any advice, these are really
>> nice alternatives to building one from scartch, which i dont think i
>> could be fussed with.
>>
>> PS - has anyone ever sprayed the front of a DVD/CD drive or floppy disk
>> drive?
>
> why would you want to ? I assume you are thinking about making them
> silver if so just buy silver drives thats what I did.

no i want to get the white coloued XPC with the glass front, and my drives
are currently silver and want them to match the cool white finish underneath
the glass cover.

just wondered, i have since found white drives though so it shouldn't be a
prob

thanks for the help

"Phil Hoggins" <Phil_Hoggins@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Christo wrote:
>> new to shuttles so have a few questions
>>
>> I am looking to build a relatively quiet yet performance PC
>>
>> i have been looking at
>>
>> Shuttle XPC SN45G on ebuyer (link below)
>
> Nice pc just what I built ! (V2)
>

>> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52947
>
> Doesn't say if it's a V1 or V2 (bit concerned that I'd be getting an old
> V1)
>>
>> now i have read that page and read a couple of the reviews, seen close up
>> pictures on other wbesites and just love the look of the case!
>>
>> anyhow my few question are about the BIOS on the board in the system and
>> the Power supply, probably in a FAQ somewhere i have been unable to find
>> it however, also one Q about graphics cards
>>
>> I plan on using a Athlon XP-M 2600+ in the system and am wondering, do
>> the BIOS allow me to change the CPU FSB settings and the multiplier, also
>> do they allow me to change the CPU vcore
>
> Can't answer that one as I've never looked into overclocking
>

>> the reason being for me wishing to know this is for overclocking, also if
>> the CPU fan is a bit loud i might want to underclock the processor so i
>> can tune down the CPU fan.
>>
>> Also what rating is the PSU 300w? does it even come with a PSU? it
>> doesn't say so on the website (ebuyer) if it doesn't, will any mATX PSU
>> do the job? any reccomendations that have been tried and tested, higher
>> rating the better (350w if possible)
>
> 250w silent PSU on the SNG45V2 comes as standard 200w on the SNG45V1
>

>> Lastly has anyone had a top end gfx card (AGP) inside one of these little
>> machines? at the minute i have a GeForce5200 (not so top end) which I
>> will most likely be trying to get to 5900XT at least, or maybe even go
>> for a 6800 do they fit?
>
> If you haven't already ask at the forum
> http://forums.sudhian.com/categories.cfm?catid=43 someone will answer
>>
>> any help would be much appreciated as would any advice, these are really
>> nice alternatives to building one from scartch, which i dont think i
>> could be fussed with.
>>
>> PS - has anyone ever sprayed the front of a DVD/CD drive or floppy disk
>> drive?
>
> why would you want to ? I assume you are thinking about making them
> silver if so just buy silver drives thats what I did.

or am i being blind as it closer to silver under the glass than

rather than white?

Christo wrote:
> "Phil Hoggins" <Phil_Hoggins@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Christo wrote:
>>
>>>new to shuttles so have a few questions
>>>
>>>I am looking to build a relatively quiet yet performance PC
>>>
>>>i have been looking at
>>>
>>>Shuttle XPC SN45G on ebuyer (link below)
>>
>>Nice pc just what I built ! (V2)
>>

>>>http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52947
>>
>>Doesn't say if it's a V1 or V2 (bit concerned that I'd be getting an old
>>V1)
>>
>>>now i have read that page and read a couple of the reviews, seen close up
>>>pictures on other wbesites and just love the look of the case!
>>>
>>>anyhow my few question are about the BIOS on the board in the system and
>>>the Power supply, probably in a FAQ somewhere i have been unable to find
>>>it however, also one Q about graphics cards
>>>
>>>I plan on using a Athlon XP-M 2600+ in the system and am wondering, do
>>>the BIOS allow me to change the CPU FSB settings and the multiplier, also
>>>do they allow me to change the CPU vcore
>>
>>Can't answer that one as I've never looked into overclocking
>>

>>>the reason being for me wishing to know this is for overclocking, also if
>>>the CPU fan is a bit loud i might want to underclock the processor so i
>>>can tune down the CPU fan.
>>>
>>>Also what rating is the PSU 300w? does it even come with a PSU? it
>>>doesn't say so on the website (ebuyer) if it doesn't, will any mATX PSU
>>>do the job? any reccomendations that have been tried and tested, higher
>>>rating the better (350w if possible)
>>
>>250w silent PSU on the SNG45V2 comes as standard 200w on the SNG45V1
>>

>>>Lastly has anyone had a top end gfx card (AGP) inside one of these little
>>>machines? at the minute i have a GeForce5200 (not so top end) which I
>>>will most likely be trying to get to 5900XT at least, or maybe even go
>>>for a 6800 do they fit?
>>
>>If you haven't already ask at the forum
>>http://forums.sudhian.com/categories.cfm?catid=43 someone will answer
>>
>>>any help would be much appreciated as would any advice, these are really
>>>nice alternatives to building one from scartch, which i dont think i
>>>could be fussed with.
>>>
>>>PS - has anyone ever sprayed the front of a DVD/CD drive or floppy disk
>>>drive?
>>
>>why would you want to ? I assume you are thinking about making them
>>silver if so just buy silver drives thats what I did.
>

> or am i being blind as it closer to silver under the glass than
>
> rather than white?

It's silver, I have the SNG45V2 sitting right by me now !

> Christo wrote:
>> "Phil Hoggins" <Phil_Hoggins@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>Nice pc just what I built ! (V2)

>>>Doesn't say if it's a V1 or V2 (bit concerned that I'd be getting an old
>>>V1)

>>>Can't answer that one as I've never looked into overclocking

>>>250w silent PSU on the SNG45V2 comes as standard 200w on the SNG45V1

>>>If you haven't already ask at the forum
>>>http://forums.sudhian.com/categories.cfm?catid=43 someone will answer

>>>why would you want to ? I assume you are thinking about making them
>>>silver if so just buy silver drives thats what I did.
>>

>> or am i being blind as it closer to silver under the glass than
>>
>> rather than white?
> It's silver, I have the SNG45V2 sitting right by me now !

great!

haha i am blind seriously, i will probs be getting one of them then, they
are TINY!!! much better than having a big fat noisy server case with a lud
stock HD/FAN 2 case fans, gpu fan and HDD cooler fan as well as PSU fan haha

space ship style

Christo wrote:
> "Phil Hoggins" <Phil_Hoggins@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Christo wrote:
>>
>>>"Phil Hoggins" <Phil_Hoggins@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>or am i being blind as it closer to silver under the glass than
>>>
>>>rather than white?
>>
>>It's silver, I have the SNG45V2 sitting right by me now !
>

> great!
>
> haha i am blind seriously, i will probs be getting one of them then, they
> are TINY!!! much better than having a big fat noisy server case with a lud
> stock HD/FAN 2 case fans, gpu fan and HDD cooler fan as well as PSU fan haha
>
> space ship style

Just ensure you get the V2 model, the price at ebuyer seems V cheap
compared with aria

Borg

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:58:35 -0000, "Christo" <chris@juststuffd.co.uk>
wrote:

>most likely be trying to get to 5900XT at least, or maybe even go for a 6800
>do they fit?

Just tried a 5900xt and it has a double sizes front plate and wont fit
the shuttle

> Christo wrote:
>> "Phil Hoggins" <Phil_Hoggins@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>It's silver, I have the SNG45V2 sitting right by me now !
>>

>> great!
>>
>> haha i am blind seriously, i will probs be getting one of them then, they
>> are TINY!!! much better than having a big fat noisy server case with a
>> lud stock HD/FAN 2 case fans, gpu fan and HDD cooler fan as well as PSU
>> fan haha
>>
>> space ship style
> Just ensure you get the V2 model, the price at ebuyer seems V cheap
> compared with aria

yeah thanks, i will check it out on kelkoo.co.uk and make sure it is v2, i
am now maybe considering going for the 3200+ instead of the mobile Oc'in in
that small case doesnt seem sane lol

does the "heatsink" require thermal paste?

"Phil Hoggins" <Phil_Hoggins@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Christo wrote:
>> "Phil Hoggins" <Phil_Hoggins@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>It's silver, I have the SNG45V2 sitting right by me now !
>>

>> great!
>>
>> haha i am blind seriously, i will probs be getting one of them then, they
>> are TINY!!! much better than having a big fat noisy server case with a
>> lud stock HD/FAN 2 case fans, gpu fan and HDD cooler fan as well as PSU
>> fan haha
>>
>> space ship style
> Just ensure you get the V2 model, the price at ebuyer seems V cheap
> compared with aria

i have found a v3 whats that like that? or couldnt you omment on it?

http://www.theglowlounge.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/471

it looks the same apart from SATA and maybe more USB etc.

i think i will probs end up going for that if i can find a 5400rpm SATA hdd
i wannt keep it small and quiet as possible

Christo wrote:
> "Phil Hoggins" <Phil_Hoggins@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Christo wrote:
>>
>>>"Phil Hoggins" <Phil_Hoggins@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>great!
>>>
>>>haha i am blind seriously, i will probs be getting one of them then, they
>>>are TINY!!! much better than having a big fat noisy server case with a
>>>lud stock HD/FAN 2 case fans, gpu fan and HDD cooler fan as well as PSU
>>>fan haha
>>>
>>>space ship style
>>
>>Just ensure you get the V2 model, the price at ebuyer seems V cheap
>>compared with aria
>>

> yeah thanks, i will check it out on kelkoo.co.uk and make sure it is v2, i
> am now maybe considering going for the 3200+ instead of the mobile Oc'in in
> that small case doesnt seem sane lol
>
> does the "heatsink" require thermal paste?

There is some thermal paste included in the box but I recommend getting
some Arctic Silver. If your going to put a 3200+ in there make sure
there is good air flow, it might get a bit hot in there.

Christo wrote:
> "Phil Hoggins" <Phil_Hoggins@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Christo wrote:
>>
>>>"Phil Hoggins" <Phil_Hoggins@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>great!
>>>
>>>haha i am blind seriously, i will probs be getting one of them then, they
>>>are TINY!!! much better than having a big fat noisy server case with a
>>>lud stock HD/FAN 2 case fans, gpu fan and HDD cooler fan as well as PSU
>>>fan haha
>>>
>>>space ship style
>>
>>Just ensure you get the V2 model, the price at ebuyer seems V cheap
>>compared with aria
>>

> i have found a v3 whats that like that? or couldnt you omment on it?
>
> http://www.theglowlounge.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/471
>
> it looks the same apart from SATA and maybe more USB etc.
>
> i think i will probs end up going for that if i can find a 5400rpm SATA hdd
> i wannt keep it small and quiet as possible

V3 is SATA and I think a few other minor tweaks the shuttle web site
should have details. Remember you will need a floppy drive to install
the SATA drivers, I say this as I don't have a floppy drive in mine, I
have a card reader and USB pen drive if I need to transfer data.

In article Christo says...

> I plan on using a Athlon XP-M 2600+ in the system and am wondering, do the
> BIOS allow me to change the CPU FSB settings and the multiplier, also do
> they allow me to change the CPU vcore

Yes up to 1.85V in steps then over 1.85V

> Also what rating is the PSU 300w? does it even come with a PSU? it doesn't
> say so on the website (ebuyer) if it doesn't, will any mATX PSU do the job?
> any reccomendations that have been tried and tested, higher rating the
> better (350w if possible)

On the SN45G it is rated at 200W on the SN45GV2 its rated at 250W. As a
250W will run a Geforce 6800 Ultra and XP3200 why do you need more?

> Lastly has anyone had a top end gfx card (AGP) inside one of these little
> machines? at the minute i have a GeForce5200 (not so top end) which I will
> most likely be trying to get to 5900XT at least, or maybe even go for a 6800
> do they fit?

You need to watch out for the nVidia ones as some use two slot spaces so
are too wide. Top end Radeons OK though.

--
Conor

A man alone in the forest is talking to himself and no women around to
hear him. Is he still wrong?

In article <328reqF3jntdnU1@individual.net>,
Christo <chris@juststuffd.co.uk> wrote:

I know this comes a bit late, you've propably got your Shuttle
already, but what the hell.

> PS - has anyone ever sprayed the front of a DVD/CD drive or floppy disk
> drive?

Haven't actually done it, but the front of the drives can usually be
easily snapped off for the paintjob. I'd say it's better to not just
point a spraycan at the drive.

On my current machine i don't have any removable media drives at all.
I've got USB and Firewire ports though, so if need be, i can get
something to connect externally. I happened to see one of those
"n-in-one" external media readers with a floppy-drive, cdrom and
cardreaders to connect to USB, and will possibly get one of them one day.
I doubt i'll be able to boot from an USB cd or floppy though. I'm not
sure if the one's available write CDs or DVDs, and i'd prefer not to
have a separate drive just for toasting.

Also, we will build a GNU machine to serve removable media drives,
among other things to the household, and connect to it with SMB.
Ought to be adequate for the casual need of CDs or floppies.

..mace --- 1+ ´§ § F