Epson stylus photo 870

Why does the ink flow dry up if the printer isn't used very frequently? It's
very irritating and expensive.

--
milesm

milesm wrote:
> Why does the ink flow dry up if the printer isn't used very
> frequently? It's very irritating and expensive.

After three everyone - one...two...three *BECAUSE IT'S AN EPSON!!!* If
you're attempting to unclog using the 'cleaning' cycle, then you're merely
exacerbating the problem as the cleaning cycle does nothing but lay down
more ink on top of what's already there. For correct cleaning instructions
read on: -

By 'cleaning' the printheads you are merely exacerbating the problem. All
the 'cleaning' cycle does is lay down more ink, on top of what's already
there, and makes the issue worse. You now have two choices: -

1) Take an empty cartridge, one of each colour, and fill with Windex.
Replace the carts you have in there with the Windex carts and alternate
running cleaning cycles/nozzle checks until the paper comes out clean. When
the paper is clean, remove the Windex carts and replace with BRAND NEW
ones - do NOT, under any circumstances, replace the ones you removed.

Print a nozzle check. If you don't see anything on the paper, run one
cleaning cycle, to get the ink flowing, and try a nozzle test again. That
should be all that's needed. You shouldn't need to run any more than two
cleaning cycles to get things going again.

2) If you don't wish to fill your own carts, there are a number of
outlets that offer cleaning carts. Just Google for 'inkjet cleaning
cartridges' - you're bound to find a myriad of companies selling them.
Simply replace your existing carts with the cleaning ones and proceed as
above.

Running a cleaning cycle can use as much as a fifth of a cartridge. It
should be used very sparingly - after all, ink is, obviously, money!

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 00:28:05 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
<misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:

>milesm wrote:
>> Why does the ink flow dry up if the printer isn't used very
>> frequently? It's very irritating and expensive.
>
>After three everyone - one...two...three *BECAUSE IT'S AN EPSON!!!* If
>you're attempting to unclog using the 'cleaning' cycle, then you're merely
>exacerbating the problem as the cleaning cycle does nothing but lay down
>more ink on top of what's already there. For correct cleaning instructions
>read on: -

One, two, because you're not using it properly would be a more
accurate comment. I use Epsons and don't have that problem.

--

Hecate
Hecate@newsguy.com

OK. Thanks for the advice so far. How might I not be using it properly?

Milesm

"Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 00:28:05 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
> <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:
>
> >milesm wrote:
> >> Why does the ink flow dry up if the printer isn't used very
> >> frequently? It's very irritating and expensive.
> >
> >After three everyone - one...two...three *BECAUSE IT'S AN EPSON!!!* If
> >you're attempting to unclog using the 'cleaning' cycle, then you're
merely
> >exacerbating the problem as the cleaning cycle does nothing but lay down
> >more ink on top of what's already there. For correct cleaning
instructions
> >read on: -
> >
> One, two, because you're not using it properly would be a more
> accurate comment. I use Epsons and don't have that problem.
>
> --
>
> Hecate
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> veni, vidi, reliqui

About your theory re humidity, Jon--I found a really striking improvement
with my 1280 when I started using a humidifier in my study. (I do always
turn it off at the printer, make sure the paper thickness lever is set to
zero--and give the cartridges a gentle push to the right. Also cover the
printer with a nylon cover. In spite of those precautions, I would
frequently experience plugging.) I live in Southern California where the
humidity can vary from very dry to quite humid and noted over time that the
printer would tend to plug more during very dry spells OR when using the
furnace or AC for lengthy periods. Raising the humidity around the printer
has made a huge difference--even though I frequently go for more than a week
without printing.
Lola MacLean

Hi All,
My 870 used to clog up all the time printing just 2 or 3 documents per week.
I have recently bought a digital camera and am printing 3 or 4 A4 size best
shot prints a day. What do you know no more clogging.
As someone has said elsewhere on this ng if you don't use Epson printers on
a daily basis they do tend to clog up. This has been my experience also. It
can't be just coincidence, the difference is so obvious.
I've had exclusively Epson printers for nearly 20 years now and the 870 does
seem to exhibit this trait worse than the others I have owned, although the
Photo 700ex was pretty bad also. The photo print quality is excellent, but
the cost of ownership is high. Each head cleaning routine uses up a lot of
ink.
I think my next printer will be a Canon
Best to All
Dave.

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 10:49:49 GMT, "milesm" <milesm@lineone.nospam.net>
wrote:

>OK. Thanks for the advice so far. How might I not be using it properly?

You need to use printers regularly, but particularly if they're using
pigment inks.

You need to keep printers in the right atmosphere. Humidity levels
make a difference to whether a printer clogs or not. I live in the UK
and have never had clogging problems because the air here is moist all
year round. I usually find people with clogging problems have their
printers in a dry atmosphere, or allow them to sit near a window where
the sun shines on them constantly, drying out the heads, or have them
sitting in a (dry) air-conditioned office.

You need to not run printers to the very last drop of ink.

There's a few of the things that I find help.

--

Hecate
Hecate@newsguy.com

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:35:05 GMT, "Dave E" <david.az@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>Hi All,
>My 870 used to clog up all the time printing just 2 or 3 documents per week.
>I have recently bought a digital camera and am printing 3 or 4 A4 size best
>shot prints a day. What do you know no more clogging.
>As someone has said elsewhere on this ng if you don't use Epson printers on
>a daily basis they do tend to clog up. This has been my experience also. It
>can't be just coincidence, the difference is so obvious.
>I've had exclusively Epson printers for nearly 20 years now and the 870 does
>seem to exhibit this trait worse than the others I have owned, although the
>Photo 700ex was pretty bad also. The photo print quality is excellent, but
>the cost of ownership is high. Each head cleaning routine uses up a lot of
>ink.
>I think my next printer will be a Canon
>Best to All
>Dave.

The answer to that, if you are printing a lot, is to spend the money
and invest ain a continuous ink system. I've never heard of those
clogging at all, and the ink works out much cheaper even when it's as
good as the Epson inks.

--

Hecate
Hecate@newsguy.com

In article <vNKdnQWeaYT0FWzdRVn-hA@adelphia.com>,
lmmaclean@removespamfreeadelphia.net (Lola MacLean) wrote:

> I found a really striking improvement with my 1280 when I started using
> a humidifier in my study.

Thanks for that, Lola. It's nice to know that I haven't been wasting my,
and other people's, time!

Jon.

In article <ZvhIc.854$Km1.447@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>, david.az@ntlworld.com
(Dave E) wrote:

> As someone has said elsewhere on this ng if you don't use Epson
> printers on a daily basis they do tend to clog up. This has been my
> experience also.

I'm sure it's a contributing factor but I, and other's here, have left
their Epson inkjet's unused, and switched on, for long periods of time and
haven't had clogging problems, so I'm sure that other factors are
involved.

Lola's post seems to confirm that low humidity is a major contributor to
clogging problems.

Jon.

In article <memo.20040712144030.2084F@blue.compulink.co.uk>,
Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com (Jon O'Brien) wrote:

> their Epson inkjet's

Sorry about the greengrocers' apostrophe. I can't imagine what I was
thinking!

Jon.

How many greengrocers are we talking about here?

milesm

In article <ezDIc.33849$I%1.14167@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
milesm@lineone.nospam.net (milesm) wrote:

> How many greengrocers are we talking about here?

> "Jon O'Brien" <Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com> wrote in message

> > Sorry about the greengrocers' apostrophe.

Most of them, in my experience. That one was very carefully positioned, I
can assure you!

Jon.

Do they share the same apostrophe or do they each have one of their own?

In article <_CWIc.42637$I%1.33291@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
milesm@lineone.nospam.net (milesm) wrote:

> Do they share the same apostrophe or do they each have one of their own?
> milesm

They each have an endless supply. That's how I was able to get hold of one
so easily.

Jon.

In that case shouldn't the apostrophe that belonged to the greengrocers be
in the plural?

In article <g4eJc.4203$v7.533@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
milesm@lineone.nospam.net (milesm) wrote:

> In that case shouldn't the apostrophe that belonged to the greengrocers
> be in the plural?

No, because I only used one.

Jon.

So the greengrocers' apostrophe to which you referred originally was
collectively owned by all of them. Or perhaps it was the generic greengrocer
you were referring to, in which case it should have been "greengrocer's
apostrophe".

In article <cqiJc.6281$v7.5621@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
milesm@lineone.nospam.net (milesm) wrote:

> So the greengrocers' apostrophe to which you referred originally was
> collectively owned by all of them.

Yes, they're held in common and collected daily from the distributor. They
spoil quickly, though, and have to be used the same day. This is why
they're seen so frequently.

Jon.

You are now describing many apostrophes whereas originally you referred to
only one that apparently belonged to many greengrocers. Which is it?

In article <fvzJc.16451$q8.14249@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
milesm@lineone.nospam.net (milesm) wrote:

> You are now describing many apostrophes whereas originally you
> referred to only one that apparently belonged to many greengrocers.
> Which is it?

Amusing as it has been, this subject has passed its sell-by date.

Jon.

Agreed, especially as we find ourselves back at square 1.

Thanks anyway - and thanks for the advice on managing Epson printers.

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

> By 'cleaning' the printheads you are merely exacerbating the problem. All
> the 'cleaning' cycle does is lay down more ink, on top of what's already
> there, and makes the issue worse. You now have two choices: -
>
> 1) Take an empty cartridge, one of each colour, and fill with Windex.
> Replace the carts you have in there with the Windex carts and alternate
> running cleaning cycles/nozzle checks until the paper comes out clean.

I've tried this trick on my 860, but the paper never comes out anything BUT
clean and dry - looks like not even the Windex is getting through.

> When the paper is clean, remove the Windex carts and replace with BRAND
> NEW ones - do NOT, under any circumstances, replace the ones you removed.
> Print a nozzle check. If you don't see anything on the paper, run one
> cleaning cycle, to get the ink flowing, and try a nozzle test again. That
> should be all that's needed. You shouldn't need to run any more than two
> cleaning cycles to get things going again.

That could get real expensive fast when nothing prints from the new
cartridges, and one has to repeat the whole cycle again....

I'm getting more and more tempted to dig out the old dot matrix...

Al Preston

aprestn5 wrote:

> Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
>
>> By 'cleaning' the printheads you are merely exacerbating the problem. All
>> the 'cleaning' cycle does is lay down more ink, on top of what's already
>> there, and makes the issue worse. You now have two choices: -
>>
>> 1) Take an empty cartridge, one of each colour, and fill with Windex.
>> Replace the carts you have in there with the Windex carts and alternate
>> running cleaning cycles/nozzle checks until the paper comes out clean.
>
> I've tried this trick on my 860, but the paper never comes out anything
> BUT clean and dry - looks like not even the Windex is getting through.

After taking the covers off my 860 to more closely examine the head cleaning
parts and sequence, and comparing same to my wife's Epson 777, it appears
the reason the ink (or Windex) isn't getting through the head is a
mechanical fault. On the 777 there are two springs that support the actual
head cap and push it up against the head during cleaning and when parked;
these are absent on my 860. I can see that the cap isn't sealing against
the head, hence no suction to pull fluid through and nothing to keep air
from the nozzles while the printer is off.

Al Preston

aprestn5 wrote:

> aprestn5 wrote:
>
>> Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
>>
>>> By 'cleaning' the printheads you are merely exacerbating the problem.
>>> All the 'cleaning' cycle does is lay down more ink, on top of what's
>>> already there, and makes the issue worse. You now have two choices: -
>>>
>>> 1) Take an empty cartridge, one of each colour, and fill with Windex.
>>> Replace the carts you have in there with the Windex carts and alternate
>>> running cleaning cycles/nozzle checks until the paper comes out clean.
>>
>> I've tried this trick on my 860, but the paper never comes out anything
>> BUT clean and dry - looks like not even the Windex is getting through.
>
> After taking the covers off my 860 to more closely examine the head
> cleaning parts and sequence, and comparing same to my wife's Epson 777, it
> appears the reason the ink (or Windex) isn't getting through the head is a
> mechanical fault. On the 777 there are two springs that support the actual
> head cap and push it up against the head during cleaning and when parked;
> these are absent on my 860. I can see that the cap isn't sealing against
> the head, hence no suction to pull fluid through and nothing to keep air
> from the nozzles while the printer is off.

Addendum: The missing spring theory has proved correct....
After finding a couple of springs of approximately the right length and
tension and placing them in position in the head capping mechanism, the
printer works. Still needs a proper cleaning, but much better than no
printing at all!

Al Preston