Shuttle Heat

just a general query here about the heat on shuttle PC's

i have been thinking about getting a socket A system, would a high end skt A
processor (3200+) get really hot?

another thing is, the case cover panels, the AGP slot appears to be on the
far edge of the particular shuttle i am looking at

doesnt the graphics card get HOT?

has anyone had a high end geforce card in a shuttle that can comment?

as for hdd, this is a passing question that i have been too lazy to look up
but how about drive bays?

there is one external 5.25 bay 0 internal 5.25 bays

one external 3.5 bay but how many internal 3.5 bays? for hard drives.... i
was thinking of getting 2 really quiet 5400rpm hard drives, but i can only
find 40GB capacity that will fit 3.5 bay, could i install 2 of these drives
or is there only room for one... bear in mind i will be using the external
3.5 bay

what temps have people had their CPU's at? i mean AMD2500 up to AMD3200+ if
anyone could comment

is it above 50 degrees C at idle or what?

or are they as low as 38 ish?

i am just curious before i go in and take the plunge, i dont wanna end up
with a nce looking radiator.

Thanks for any advice to come

Chris
2 answers Last reply
More about shuttle heat
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    In article Christo says...
    > just a general query here about the heat on shuttle PC's
    >
    > i have been thinking about getting a socket A system, would a high end skt A
    > processor (3200+) get really hot?

    No.

    > doesnt the graphics card get HOT?

    Not really although some people have drilled a square of small 1-1.5mm
    holes where the fan is.

    > one external 3.5 bay but how many internal 3.5 bays? for hard drives.... i
    > was thinking of getting 2 really quiet 5400rpm hard drives, but i can only
    > find 40GB capacity that will fit 3.5 bay, could i install 2 of these drives
    > or is there only room for one... bear in mind i will be using the external
    > 3.5 bay

    One dedicated 3.5" HDD bay but if you don;t put in a floppy you can use
    that too.

    > what temps have people had their CPU's at? i mean AMD2500 up to AMD3200+ if
    > anyone could comment
    >
    > is it above 50 degrees C at idle or what?
    > or are they as low as 38 ish?
    > i am just curious before i go in and take the plunge, i dont wanna end up
    > with a nce looking radiator.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice to come

    OK...

    I used the thermal paste that came with the Shuttle and it idled at 52C
    and went up to 56C full load.

    I recently changed it for Artic Silver 5, applying as per Artic Silver
    instructions and it has dropped down to 46 idle, 48 load.

    --
    Conor

    A man alone in the forest is talking to himself and no women around to
    hear him. Is he still wrong?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > In article Christo says...
    >> just a general query here about the heat on shuttle PC's
    >>
    >> i have been thinking about getting a socket A system, would a high end
    >> skt A
    >> processor (3200+) get really hot?
    >>
    > No.
    >

    >> doesnt the graphics card get HOT?
    >>
    > Not really although some people have drilled a square of small 1-1.5mm
    > holes where the fan is.
    >

    >> one external 3.5 bay but how many internal 3.5 bays? for hard drives....
    >> was thinking of getting 2 really quiet 5400rpm hard drives, but i can
    >> only
    >> find 40GB capacity that will fit 3.5 bay, could i install 2 of these
    >> drives
    >> or is there only room for one... bear in mind i will be using the
    >> external
    >> 3.5 bay
    >>
    > One dedicated 3.5" HDD bay but if you don;t put in a floppy you can use
    > that too.
    >
    >> what temps have people had their CPU's at? i mean AMD2500 up to AMD3200+
    >> if
    >> anyone could comment
    >>
    >> is it above 50 degrees C at idle or what?
    >> or are they as low as 38 ish?
    >> i am just curious before i go in and take the plunge, i dont wanna end up
    >> with a nce looking radiator.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any advice to come
    >>
    > OK...
    >
    > I used the thermal paste that came with the Shuttle and it idled at 52C
    > and went up to 56C full load.
    >
    > I recently changed it for Artic Silver 5, applying as per Artic Silver
    > instructions and it has dropped down to 46 idle, 48 load.
    >

    > --
    > Conor
    >
    > A man alone in the forest is talking to himself and no women around to
    > hear him. Is he still wrong?

    56 c is hot man, is that a pentium 4 or AMD XP or AMD 64?

Shuttle Heat Hard Drives Motherboards