peter

Hi,

It all depends on your requirements and bugget.
Usually the DVD burner is accomplished with the burning software, Nero 6.0
or above is one of the good brand name.
Burning rate (12X or above is much more expensive then 8X or below), quality
of the burned disk, double layer or not, choice of DVD+-R DVD R/W disks,etc.
--

You may want to go to Tom's hardware for a look.

Peter

"Charles" wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good DVD burner? Also, what type of good software
> should I look out for?
>
> Thanks

Charles

I know this sounds basic, but do I need another DVD ROM drive besides a DVD
burner to accomplish burning other DVD's?

Charles wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good DVD burner? Also, what type of good software
> should I look out for?
>
> Thanks

I am using a NEC Dual Layer burner that was around $50 at NewEgg along
with the latest version of Nero. Have had no problems with either of them.

Nik

sony is good as i am using and roxio's dvd burner software
http://www.roxio.com/en/index.jhtml.

--
Nik
Nik's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5441

br549

"Charles" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I know this sounds basic, but do I need another DVD ROM drive besides a DVD
burner to accomplish burning other DVD's?

Charles, all you need is the burner, you don't need both. I would recommend
the LG4163 from newegg.com. If you get the retail version it comes with a
basic version of Nero software.

Charles,

Here's a link: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php

You can probably find anything you ever wanted to know about DVD/CD
hardware, software, video capture, copying/editing, etc..

Wayne

"Charles" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know this sounds basic, but do I need another DVD ROM drive besides a DVD
>burner to accomplish burning other DVD's?
>
> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> It all depends on your requirements and bugget.
>> Usually the DVD burner is accomplished with the burning software, Nero
>> 6.0
>> or above is one of the good brand name.
>> Burning rate (12X or above is much more expensive then 8X or below),
>> quality
>> of the burned disk, double layer or not, choice of DVD+-R DVD R/W
>> disks,etc.
>> --
>>
>> You may want to go to Tom's hardware for a look.
>>
>> Peter
>>

>> "Charles" wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone recommend a good DVD burner? Also, what type of good software
>>> should I look out for?
>>>
>>> Thanks

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi,

I'd recommend Sony for its quality and multiple formats capabilities.

Nero Express will be sufficient for casual users doing common tasks. It's
likely that you will get bundled software so you may not want to spend
additional money on it.

Hope this helps.

"Charles" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com>
???????:O8Fh9zLQFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Can anyone recommend a good DVD burner? Also, what type of good software
> should I look out for?
>
> Thanks

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:uWJAwWNQFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
xfile <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> had this to say:

> Hi,
>
> I'd recommend Sony for its quality and multiple formats capabilities.
>
> Nero Express will be sufficient for casual users doing common tasks. It's
> likely that you will get bundled software so you may not want to
> spend additional money on it.
>
> Hope this helps.

Bah, what the heck? I might as well add my two cents. I use, and like,
AOpen... I'm fond of them and haven't had any issues with mine at all. I've
owned a number of AOpen drives and since I've had good luck with them I
stick with them exclusively. I usually dump the silly OEM Nero for a more
robust software or use different smaller applications that are more specific
to what I'm burning at that time.

Galen

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi,

Sure, A-Open (a subsidiary of Acer) might as well a fine product, but I
happen to know a thing or two about its parent company and don't like the
group's overall services and product quality, so I decided not to use it.

I too spent some money on a few nice software, but as a casual user, I just
made some backup discs and found the money is wasted since I don't use those
advanced functions at all, whilst you could be an advanced user in this
area.

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
???????:uyBusnQQFHA.356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> In news:uWJAwWNQFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> xfile <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> had this to say:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd recommend Sony for its quality and multiple formats capabilities.
>>
>> Nero Express will be sufficient for casual users doing common tasks. It's
>> likely that you will get bundled software so you may not want to
>> spend additional money on it.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>
> Bah, what the heck? I might as well add my two cents. I use, and like,
> AOpen... I'm fond of them and haven't had any issues with mine at all.
> I've owned a number of AOpen drives and since I've had good luck with them
> I stick with them exclusively. I usually dump the silly OEM Nero for a
> more robust software or use different smaller applications that are more
> specific to what I'm burning at that time.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%233QTpXUQFHA.2384@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
xfile <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> had this to say:

> Hi,
>
> Sure, A-Open (a subsidiary of Acer) might as well a fine product, but
> I happen to know a thing or two about its parent company and don't
> like the group's overall services and product quality, so I decided
> not to use it.
> I too spent some money on a few nice software, but as a casual user,
> I just made some backup discs and found the money is wasted since I
> don't use those advanced functions at all, whilst you could be an
> advanced user in this area.

At risk of wandering off-topic could you share what you know about Acer? I'm
curious, that's all. I'm always open to new opinions and the like and always
eager to learn new things.

Galen

Charles

OK, now I have a good idea. One more question .... will a 4.7 gig blank
DVD-R work for burning a movie?

Or does it depend on length and I might have to get an 8.5 gig CD?

In news:%23NrF75XQFHA.3868@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Charles <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> OK, now I have a good idea. One more question .... will a 4.7 gig
> blank DVD-R work for burning a movie?

Yes if it's only 4.7 GB or smaller. A lot of movies are now DVD-9, I think
that's the actual name for them, format (double layer) which is 8.5 GB.
There are some questions of legalicy if you use an application to defeat CSS
to backup a copy of your own movie but I'm pretty sure it's legal to get an
analog to digitil converter and backup VHS to DVD. While backing up a DVD
that you own is perfectly legal the vast majority of the DVDs that we get
here in the States are CSS encrypted and the software for defeating CSS is
in a legal gray area due to the DMCA. As an aside, if you happen to come
across decent priced dual layer double sided DVD RWs ping me or drop me an
email. They'll hold 17 GB of data but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Galen

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi,

I am hesitate to say anything about it other than one thing - do you know
BenQ is also its new brand to replace so many other brands used before?

Well, most companies don't change brand names too often, right? So I guess
that pretty much tells you something about the company.

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>

In news:e3cNAnaQFHA.2384@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
xfile <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> had this to say:

> Hi,
>
> I am hesitate to say anything about it other than one thing - do you
> know BenQ is also its new brand to replace so many other brands used
> before?
> Well, most companies don't change brand names too often, right? So I
> guess that pretty much tells you something about the company.

I guess there's some logic behind that. I don't buy OEM computers any longer
as a general rule. I either build them myself or have them built for me
through various online shops. I do know, on the other hand, that I have two
old Acers, almost bought an Acer tablet (I opted for a Motion) recently, and
I have a not-so old Acer lappy that all still work and in their day (more so
with the earlier products) they were truly top of the line. In 1998 or 99 I
was able to get one Acer with an AMD K7 500 MHz with 256 MB of RAM that was
top of the line then (and I remember thinking I'd never had to buy a new
computer because it was 'blazingly fast') for a very good price and it's
still functional today. That particular one has been given away to a friend
of mine who doesn't have a lot of money but has a lot of interest, in case
you're curious it's name is "Tribe" because I was forever smacking the side
of the case and saying "Where the h*** are we going Tribe?"

Changing one's name or different product lines could also be seen as
innovation as well I suppose? As I said though I've moved on from OEM buys
as a general rule except I tend to stick with Toshiba laptops and now I've
bought two Motions though neither of them will recognize my handwriting and
I suspect that the other brands won't either. It does fine when I write in
all capital letters but I can type faster than that. Basically all that
digression means that I've no idea what Acer has been up to lately but if
they're following the trends I've seen with a number of other large OEMs
then they're customer service has gone downhill, they're prices have lowered
but could be better, and they are still making money hand over fist from the
first time computer buyers or people who buy based on brand recognition
which isn't always a good thing.

Galen

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi,

Agree with what you said and certainly respect your experience with any
brands.

Yes, there are many reasons for companies changed brands but for this cases,
one of the major reasons is lost of billions of dollars and those money were
supported by some other governments as well as for the initial sales and
market shares.

It is not my intension to initiate debates over brand loyalty (although I
did sense and anticipate your response) as any brand would have any number
of loyal customers.

Again, as I said, I respect each one's choice and their own experiences as
long as it is not within my official recommendations.

You asked me and I replied with care, and that's the end.

Best wishes.

In news:uHm1g%23cQFHA.1932@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
xfile <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> had this to say:

> You asked me and I replied with care, and that's the end.

*chuckles* My loyalty is to the best product available at the time with the
features I can best afford given my budget. I'm not loyal to any specific
brand of anything I'm afraid and I hope that you didn't mis-interpret my
post as being loyal to a specific brand. I'm just the opposite. I haven't
bought an OEM desktop in a long time. Instead I opt to get them with cut-out
side panels, funny lights, system monitoring tools, and generally just
insane toys.

Actually, I take that back. I'm loyal to New Balance running shoes but
that's a whole different subject. <g>

Galen