AN35N Ultra & XP 3200+ Problem

I just bought an Athlon XP 3200+ for my AN35N Ultra MB. It is an
upgrade from an XP 2700+.

Shuttle AN35N Ultra
2x 512MB Corsair Value RAM PC3200.
450W Cooler Master PSU
Thermalright SLK800U HS (w/ Arctic Silver) & Panaflow fan.

I have set the FSB to 200 & everything else to "optimal"...No
overclocking

Temps are OK

When booting I get an error screen Machine_Check_Exception, STOP
0x0000009C just before the desktop appears.

I can't get any further. I get better luck booting when I set the FSB
to 190 or 192. If I try 199 or 200 the BSOD comes back.

I put the XP 2700+ back in & it works fine!

What could be causing this? Should I update the BIOS? Current BIOS
is from 12/2003.

The latest bios update is 9/10/2004. I would put the XP 2700+ back in and
update the bios. REinstall the 3200 and everything should work.
http://global.shuttle.com/Download/Download_File.asp?Item=AN35/N%20Ultra%20&%20AN35/N-400

"Big Fan" <help@mail.com> wrote in message
> I just bought an Athlon XP 3200+ for my AN35N Ultra MB. It is an
> upgrade from an XP 2700+.
>
> Shuttle AN35N Ultra
> 2x 512MB Corsair Value RAM PC3200.
> 450W Cooler Master PSU
> Thermalright SLK800U HS (w/ Arctic Silver) & Panaflow fan.
>
> I have set the FSB to 200 & everything else to "optimal"...No
> overclocking
>
> Temps are OK
>
> When booting I get an error screen Machine_Check_Exception, STOP
> 0x0000009C just before the desktop appears.
>
> I can't get any further. I get better luck booting when I set the FSB
> to 190 or 192. If I try 199 or 200 the BSOD comes back.
>
> I put the XP 2700+ back in & it works fine!
>
> What could be causing this? Should I update the BIOS? Current BIOS
> is from 12/2003.

I updated the BIOS to the 9/10/04 version...Still get the error at the
200mhz FSB. I am currently running it at 190mhz OK.

I ran MemTest for a couple of hrs w/ 0 errors.

I can't figure this one out? Could the CPU be defective? It's an OEM
one.

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:14:04 GMT, "Paul J. Veres"
<veres@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>The latest bios update is 9/10/2004. I would put the XP 2700+ back in and
>update the bios. REinstall the 3200 and everything should work.
>http://global.shuttle.com/Download/Download_File.asp?Item=AN35/N%20Ultra%20&%20AN35/N-400

I am now running the FSB at 195mhz/388mhz. If I put it up to 200/400
I still get the BSOD error message.

What gives?!

Big Fan wrote:

> When booting I get an error screen Machine_Check_Exception,
> STOP 0x0000009C just before the desktop appears.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=162363

First, I would try increasing the vdimm (voltage to the memory).
I think it goes up to 1.7v. Try setting it at that.

It is possible that you could have a board like mi- my sister's.
It would only do 200 MHz with CPU Interface set to aggressive
with the memory in single channel mode. That would be in dimm
slots 1 and 2, I believe. Well, that's if you have two sticks of
memory.

I found the memory bandwidth to be far greater in single channel
mode with CPU Interface set to aggressive than in dual channel
mode, at a lower FSB, or in dual channel with CPU Interface
set to optimal.

Mike

Splendid

Ahhh....

Someone with 'exactly' the same problem I am having.

I have a Shuttle AN35N Ultra board and just bought a Athlon XP 3200.

I get exactly the same errors.

What I have found is that you can not run the system using the 11x
multiplier with a 400 FSB.

10.5x and 400 works fine.

I contacted Shuttle and they basically blew me off. They wanted me to
return the board. The board has been operating fine for a year now. I
simple think this board was never designed to operate with a 400MHz FSB
3200.

If anyone has got a XP 3200 400FSB to work on this board, I would love to
know how you did it.

It's not the CPU, this is a board problem

Mike

> I am now running the FSB at 195mhz/388mhz. If I put it up to 200/400
> I still get the BSOD error message.
>
> What gives?!
>
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:59:36 -0500, Big Fan <help@mail.com> wrote:
>
>>I updated the BIOS to the 9/10/04 version...Still get the error at the
>>200mhz FSB. I am currently running it at 190mhz OK.
>>
>>I ran MemTest for a couple of hrs w/ 0 errors.
>>
>>I can't figure this one out? Could the CPU be defective? It's an OEM
>>one.
>>
>>On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:14:04 GMT, "Paul J. Veres"
>><veres@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>>The latest bios update is 9/10/2004. I would put the XP 2700+ back in
>>>and
>>>update the bios. REinstall the 3200 and everything should work.
>>>http://global.shuttle.com/Download/Download_File.asp?Item=AN35/N%20Ultra%20&%20AN35/N-400

Thanks for your help. Tried what u suggested & it's running OK at
x10.5/200/400 fsb. It's now an XP 3000+ running at 2.10 GHZ,
according to my PC.

Which is better...2.2GHZ at 190/378 fsb or 2.1GHZ at 200/400 fsb?

This is so frustrating!

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:07:18 -0600, "Mike" <msbenn67@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Ahhh....
>
>Someone with 'exactly' the same problem I am having.
>
>I have a Shuttle AN35N Ultra board and just bought a Athlon XP 3200.
>
>I get exactly the same errors.
>
>What I have found is that you can not run the system using the 11x
>multiplier with a 400 FSB.
>
>10.5x and 400 works fine.
>
>I contacted Shuttle and they basically blew me off. They wanted me to
>return the board. The board has been operating fine for a year now. I
>simple think this board was never designed to operate with a 400MHz FSB
>3200.
>
>If anyone has got a XP 3200 400FSB to work on this board, I would love to
>know how you did it.
>
>It's not the CPU, this is a board problem
>
>Mike

>>>I ran MemTest for a couple of hrs w/ 0 errors.
>>>
>>>I can't figure this one out? Could the CPU be defective? It's an OEM
>>>one.

You should make a bootable floppy or CD with Memtest86
or the newer variant Memtest86+ and make sure you are not
getting memory errors. And do try increasing vdimm. I see
now that you have 2 x 512MB Corsair Value Ram. I see that
the single sticks are spec'd to run at cl=2.5 and the dual kit it
spec'd to run at cl=3. If the board is setting them both to 2.5,
you might try them at 3. If you are using dimm slots 1 and 3,
try 2 and three, or vice versa. You might also try bumping-up
the voltage to the CPU a notch, to see if that helps. I had t
bump the voltage up to 1.675v. to get the XP2500+ Prime 95
stable at 200MHz, whereas it ran fine in an Abit NF7-S at
1.65v, and that board under-volted a little. It's nice when
everything works together out of the box, but apparently it
didn't this time.

Mike

Splendid

In my opinion, a 400MHz FSB is more valuable than an extra 100MHz CPU.

The bus speed touches all aspects of your systems. You'll never notice a
CPU bump from 2100 to 2200 Mhz which is only ~5%.

If you ever find a way to make the Shuttle board work for the 3200, please
let me know. I'll do the same.

Good luck,
Mike

Big Fan wrote:

> My CPU/MB hates the multiplier to be set at x11. x10.5 works
> great. I'm going to call Shuttle tomorrow & see what they say.

So- did *anyone* try single channel yet? I got 3 GB/s of memory
bandwidth out of that thing, which is way more than you are going
to get setting CPU Interface to Optimal in dual channel...

I'm going to RMA this CPU back to GameVE.com. I took a closer look at
the CPU core & there appears to be a small chip/pit on one edge. I
don't recall seeing it before.

I'll let you know

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 06:19:21 -0800, "Fishface" <invalid@ddress.ok?>
wrote:

>Big Fan wrote:
>
>> My CPU/MB hates the multiplier to be set at x11. x10.5 works
>> great. I'm going to call Shuttle tomorrow & see what they say.
>
>So- did *anyone* try single channel yet? I got 3 GB/s of memory
>bandwidth out of that thing, which is way more than you are going
>to get setting CPU Interface to Optimal in dual channel...

Mike

Splendid

Yes, I did. Unfortunately, it didn't work either.

I also moved the DIMMS to every possible slot compbination but that didn't
help.

However, I agree that running without the dual channel enabled dose provide
better performance when you use the aggressive timing.

The best I can make of this is that the board really doesn't support this
chip. I've checked a number of boards and haven't found anyone who has had
any success.

Any other ideas?

THanks
MIke

Mike wrote:

> Any other ideas?

You might check to see if the northbridge chip heatsink is getting very
hot while running Prime95. If not, there may not be good contact. The
chips are generally very concave. Mine was attached with a just little
snot glue in one spot. You pretty much need to pull the board to remove
the heatsink, should you feel that is necessary. And lapping the chip was
sure no picnic. My Abit NF7-S had a huge wad of thermal compound
under the stamped heatsink and noisy fan that failed within months. I
replaced it with a passive Zalman that doesn't make contact with the
entire chip surface and was so concave that I had to sand and lap it.
Next time I will try some other brand of heatsink.

Mike

Splendid

If you had it to do all over, what board would you recommend for an Athlon
3200/400? I'm thinking about replacing the motherboard. I'll use the
Shuttle board to build a Linux sandbox.

I like the nVidia chip set. I need on-board audio and LAN but don't care
too much about RAID.

Mike wrote:
> If you had it to do all over, what board would you recommend for an Athlon
> 3200/400? I'm thinking about replacing the motherboard. I'll use the
> Shuttle board to build a Linux sandbox.
>
> I like the nVidia chip set. I need on-board audio and LAN but don't care
> too much about RAID.

I only have experience with one of each board, so that hardly makes me
an expert. The only reason I bought the NF7-S is because I felt my $320
investment in memory was wasted on the Shuttle that didn't overclock well
and didn't run dual channel. The NF7-S had a reputation as a good
overclocker, but mine would only do 212 or 213 FSB with CPU Interface
set to "enabled." By disabling it, even at 230 FSB, memory bandwidth was
lower. I do like the idea of a passive northbridge heatsink for quiet and low
maintenance. I'd probably try another NF7-S, but replace the northbridge
heatsink and fan right after bench testing it. It comes with a PATA to
SATA adapter (serillel 2) and SATA cable, plus I use the firewire with a
video camera.

Mike

Splendid

THanks for the recommendation.

I am also looking at a Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. It seems to have a lot of
positive reviews.

Any comments on this board?

Thanks again and have a great holiday.

Mike wrote:
> I am also looking at a Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. It
> seems to have a lot of positive reviews.

It looks like there's a bunch of happy users. I see it has
passive cooling on the northbridge. It may not be the
ultimate overclocking board, but that may be just fine.
The Abit does give you that Serillel 2 adapter, and it
looks like they're fetching a pretty penny on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6729374585
My PATA WD drive actually benchmarks a little better
when connected to SATA with the adapter.

....but then there's the fan issue on the NF7-S. Mine
started to make a racket after less than a year.

Mike

Splendid

Yeah, the more I investigate the less taken I am with the Asus. I would
like to overclocking.

Are there any other high performance boards out there that you know of? I
am starting to favor the NF7-S, even with the noisy fan.

Thanks

Mike wrote:

> Are there any other high performance boards out there that
> you know of?

The DFI board is supposed to be a good overclocker, but it is
very expensive for some reason. Is your multiplier unlocked?

Trip

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

Fishface wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>
> > Are there any other high performance boards out there that
> > you know of?
>
> The DFI board is supposed to be a good overclocker, but it is
> very expensive for some reason. Is your multiplier unlocked?

Solution that worked for me:

I had this same problem for days and I was about to throw my computer
out the window. I ended up replacing everying except the hard drive,
reinstalled my system numerous times, ran all the test people
suggested-- I was on my last straw. Finally I noticed that there was
something fishy about my hard drive. Everytime I searched for something
on my computer, when it reached my back-up hard drive it would freeze
and pop up 0x0000009c Machine Exception Error. After testing out the
hard drive (succesfully) I decided to change the order the hard drives
were plugged into the MB. In other words the cable that connected the
hard drives to the mother had to be twisted. I switched the order they
were plugged in leaving the tail end of the cable to be plugged into
the back-up and--- voila! No 09c error!!!
Hope this helps out for everyone else.

Today my replacement Athlon 3200+ CPU arrived from GameVE.com. I just
put it in and am running it now. I set the FSB to 200/400 and after
MS made me activate it again, it booted right up w/o any problem!!

I haven't performed any stress tests on it yet, but it's a promising
start.

I'll post a follow up later...

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:06:48 -0600, "Mike" <msbenn67@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Yes, I did. Unfortunately, it didn't work either.
>
>I also moved the DIMMS to every possible slot compbination but that didn't
>help.
>
>However, I agree that running without the dual channel enabled dose provide
>better performance when you use the aggressive timing.
>
>The best I can make of this is that the board really doesn't support this
>chip. I've checked a number of boards and haven't found anyone who has had
>any success.
>
>Any other ideas?
>
>THanks
>MIke
>

>"Fishface" <invalid@ddress.ok?> wrote in message
>> Big Fan wrote:
>>
>>> My CPU/MB hates the multiplier to be set at x11. x10.5 works
>>> great. I'm going to call Shuttle tomorrow & see what they say.
>>
>> So- did *anyone* try single channel yet? I got 3 GB/s of memory
>> bandwidth out of that thing, which is way more than you are going
>> to get setting CPU Interface to Optimal in dual channel...

Mike

Splendid

Let me know what happens.

I finally gave up on the 3200.

I sold the lot and am now awaiting my first major system overhaul in two
years.

I purchased an Athlon 64 3400 (939) and a MSI Neo2 Platinum MB with two
Maxtor SATA150 160G drives. I researched for weeks to find the most solid
configuration on the 64-bit architecture and I hope this will prove to be a
winner. Thanks to all for the help. I will never purchase a Shuttle
product again even if it prove to be a chip problem. Their support was
deplorable.

Again, thanks for all of the effort and I wish you the best of luck.

Do let me know if the new CPU solves the problem.

Mike

> Today my replacement Athlon 3200+ CPU arrived from GameVE.com. I just
> put it in and am running it now. I set the FSB to 200/400 and after
> MS made me activate it again, it booted right up w/o any problem!!
>
> I haven't performed any stress tests on it yet, but it's a promising
> start.
>
> I'll post a follow up later...
>

> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:06:48 -0600, "Mike" <msbenn67@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Yes, I did. Unfortunately, it didn't work either.
>>
>>I also moved the DIMMS to every possible slot compbination but that didn't
>>help.
>>
>>However, I agree that running without the dual channel enabled dose
>>provide
>>better performance when you use the aggressive timing.
>>
>>The best I can make of this is that the board really doesn't support this
>>chip. I've checked a number of boards and haven't found anyone who has
>>had
>>any success.
>>
>>Any other ideas?
>>
>>THanks
>>MIke
>>

>>"Fishface" <invalid@ddress.ok?> wrote in message

>>> So- did *anyone* try single channel yet? I got 3 GB/s of memory
>>> bandwidth out of that thing, which is way more than you are going
>>> to get setting CPU Interface to Optimal in dual channel...

Well, the replacement CPU is rock steady and has successfully run
3DMark 2003, 3DMark 2001 & encoded 3 DVD's w/o a hitch.

BTW, I got the OEM CPU for only $143.00 incl shipping.

Perhaps next year I'll upgrade to an Athlon 64, NForce 4 combo.

I have no reservations about buying another Shuttle product in the
future.

TRENDING THREADS