I hope this is the right place to post this question. If not please forgive.
I want to increase the memory in my Compaq evo D500 small form factor desktop
unit.
Manu. info. tells me I can go to 3gig memory, already have 512 from factory.
I know about what I need except for EEC or non EEC. What does this mean and
which do I need? I am look at using 512mb PC133 168 pin. is one brand better
than another? thanks for your help and patience with a newbie, but I'm trying
to learn.

"jct883" <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8350AD5B-25FC-4A94-A7D7-BB6FD151C8AC@microsoft.com...
>I hope this is the right place to post this question. If not please forgive.
> I want to increase the memory in my Compaq evo D500 small form factor desktop
> unit.
> Manu. info. tells me I can go to 3gig memory, already have 512 from factory.
> I know about what I need except for EEC or non EEC. What does this mean and
> which do I need? I am look at using 512mb PC133 168 pin. is one brand better
> than another? thanks for your help and patience with a newbie, but I'm trying
> to learn.

1. Shutdown your computer and open the case. Make sure there's
at least one empty memory slot. Inspect your memory module(s).
If they have 9 chips per side, they are ECC (error checking and
correcting). If they have 8 chips per side, they are not ECC.

2. Go to http://www.crucial.com and use their memory configurer
to find memory compatible with your computer. Select ECC
one(s) if the module(s) you already have are ECC.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

bar

Open the USER GUIDE, you know that little book of advice and specficiations
for your computer.

In it, you will find a proper specification for the types of memory that can
be used and also how to install any additional memory. All too useful
wouldn't you think?

I recommend that you also install Everest Home
[http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html] as it wll give you a detailled
specification of the memory module in your PC and thus you can get a
compatible component.

I doubt very much that a home PC or desktop PC would be configured with
Error checking and Correcting memory Modules [ECC].

From my recollection these systems used 'standard' for their day SDRAM
PC-133 Non-Parity. It is now relatively expensive to buy this compared with
current DDRAM: generally 2 to 3 times the price per megabyte.

Expect to pay > US$ 75 for each 512Mb module.

Given the PC and its capabilities, I'd go no more than 512Mb as one would
derive little benefit beyond this point.

"Bob Day" wrote:

> "jct883" <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8350AD5B-25FC-4A94-A7D7-BB6FD151C8AC@microsoft.com...
> >I hope this is the right place to post this question. If not please forgive.
> > I want to increase the memory in my Compaq evo D500 small form factor desktop
> > unit.
> > Manu. info. tells me I can go to 3gig memory, already have 512 from factory.
> > I know about what I need except for EEC or non EEC. What does this mean and
> > which do I need? I am look at using 512mb PC133 168 pin. is one brand better
> > than another? thanks for your help and patience with a newbie, but I'm trying
> > to learn.
>
> 1. Shutdown your computer and open the case. Make sure there's
> at least one empty memory slot. Inspect your memory module(s).
> If they have 9 chips per side, they are ECC (error checking and
> correcting). If they have 8 chips per side, they are not ECC.
>
> 2. Go to http://www.crucial.com and use their memory configurer
> to find memory compatible with your computer. Select ECC
> one(s) if the module(s) you already have are ECC.
>
> -- Bob Day
> http://bobday.vze.com

br549

Go to crucial.com, find your computer and it will tell you what you need.